1. UP government approved construction of world’s longest expressway
Uttar Pradesh state cabinet approved construction of a four-lane Ganga Expressway connecting Prayagraj to Western Uttar Pradesh.
- Ganga Expressway will be 600 kilometers long and can be expanded to six-lane in future. The expressway would cost about 36,000 crore rupees.
- It will start from Meerut and touch Amroha, Bulandshahr, Badaun, Shahjahanpur, Farrukhabad, Hardoi, Kannauj, Unnao, Rae Bareli, Pratapgarh before reaching Allahabad.
2. India improved its global corruption ranking in 2018
India has improved its ranking on a global corruption index in 2018 by three points and moved to the 78th position with a score of 41.
- In the list of 180 countries, China and Pakistan lagged far behind at 87th and 117th position, respectively.
- According to the rankings released by an anti-corruption watchdog, Denmark is the least corrupt country followed by New Zealand.
- Somalia, Syria and South Sudan are the most corrupt countries in the world.
3. Mizoram govt banned the import of pigs and piglets
The Mizoram Government issued an order to ban the import of pigs and piglets because there is a possibility of an outbreak of Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome.
- The PRRS disease is also called as Swine Flu, the virus of this disease generally transmitted from pigs and affects both pigs and humankind
- Basically, the pigs imported from Myanmar are in suspect point, pigs imported from other countries too have been banned as a move to prevent the outbreak of the PRRS in the state.
4. K.P.Singh appointed as DGP of Haryana
K.P.Singh, Senior Indian Police Service officer, took charge as officiating Director-General of Police, Haryana. This is in addition to his present duty as D-G Human Rights Commission.
- Mr. Singh has been assigned the charge of DGP of the Haryana police till the finalization of the ongoing process of regular appointment to the post as per guidelines of the Supreme Court.
- The tenure of incumbent DGP B.S.Sandhu, who was scheduled to retire in September 2018 ended on January 31 after he was granted a three-month extension in service earlier.
5. Gupteshwar Pandey took over as the new DGP of Bihar
Gupteshwar Pandey, the Senior IPS officer, took over as the new Director General of Police of Bihar. He succeeds K. S. Dwivedi.
- Mr. Dwivedi has been holding the position since March 1, 2018.
- Mr. Pandey has been known for his hands-on style of policing and attempts at making the civil society an active participant in law enforcement.
6. Center gives up on triple talaq Bill
The government has effectively given up on at least two of its more controversial legislations, the Citizenship Amendment Bill and the triple talaq Bill, that was awaiting consideration by the Rajya Sabha after opposition parties made it clear that they could not guarantee smooth functioning of the House if any contentious bills were tabled.
- With the numbers stacked against the government on both the contentious issues in the Upper House, the two bills, which were cleared by the Lok Sabha in the last session, will now lapse once the 16th Lok Sabha’s term ends.
- The decision on the bills to be tabled in the Upper House was taken at a meeting chaired by Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu that included government representatives and opposition parties.
7. Home Ministry has been allocated with a 4.9 percent hike in funds
The Home Ministry has been allocated over Rs.1 lakh crore for the next fiscal, with special emphasis on improving border infrastructure of police forces, in the interim Budget 2018-19.
- The Budget papers said that the Ministry has got Rs.1,03,927 crore for 2019-20 which is 4.9% more than Rs.99,034 crore given in 2018-19. This figure includes Rs.78.09 crore for the promotion of Hindi language.
- The Delhi Police, which maintains law and order in the national capital, has been allocated Rs. 7,496.91 crore while Rs. 2,000 crore has been allocated for the development of border infrastructure.
8. Government Renames DIPP as Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) renamed as the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade with a mandate to deal with matters related to start-ups, facilitating ease of doing business among others.
The newly-named department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry will look into matters related to promotion of internal trade, including retail trade, the welfare of traders and their employees, facilitating ease of doing business and start-ups.
9. Yes Bank senior group president Pralay Mondal resigns
Close on the heels of longtime MD and CEO Rana Kapoor demitting office, Yes Bank senior group president and head – retail and business banking Pralay Mondal has tendered his resignation.
- “Pralay Mondal has tendered his resignation as senior group president and head – retail and business banking of Yes Bank on January 31, 2019. He will serve notice till the close of business hours of March 31, 2019,” Yes Bank said in a regulatory filing.
- On January 31, Rana Kapoor’s reign as the Managing Director and Chief Executive of Yes Bank, which was co-founded by him, ended.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Founder: Rana Kapoor, Ashok Kapur
- Tagline: Experience our Expertise
10. Sanjiv Ranjan appointed as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Colombia
Ministry of External Affairs appointed 1993 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) Officer Sanjiv Ranjan who is current Ambassador to Argentina as the new Ambassador to the Republic of Colombia.
- Sanjiv Ranjan was born in 1966 and he holds bachelors in Economics from the University of Delhi and an M.A. in International Relations from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU).
- He served as Deputy High Commissioner of India to Mauritius from 2006 to 2009.