1. Fourteen scientists conferred Swarna Jayanti Fellowships
Union Ministry of Science and Technology has conferred as Swarna Jayanti Fellowships to 14 scientists to basic research in frontier areas of science and technology.
- The fellowship covers all the requirements for performing the research and includes a fellowship of 25 thousand rupees per month. Rs. 5,00,000 provided in addition to their salary for five years.
- India’s 50th year of independence, Swaran Jayanti Fellowships granted to young and brilliant scientists to persevere unfettered research with financial freedom and flexibility.
2. Andhra Pradesh Government appointed two Disha Special Officers
Andhra Pradesh government has elected Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Dr. Kritika Shukla and Indian Police Service (IPS) official M Deepika as Special Officers.
- The speedy trial and faster execution in cases of sexual offenses against women in the state.
- The state will set up an exclusive special court in all the 13 districts to deal with cases of offenses against women and children including rape, acid attacks, stalking, voyeurism, social media harassment of women, sexual harassment and cases under POCSO Act.
3. Union Government signs MoU with Flipkart company under DAY-NULM Scheme
Under the scheme Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM), the Union Government of India has signed MoU with Flipkart company for selling the products made by women self-help groups.
Under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) scheme, self-help groups consisting of 44 lakh women working across the country, a move aimed at making women financially independent.
Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM)
Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana is the scheme where the women work towards alleviating urban poverty through strong community institutions, skill training, access to affordable credit for self-employment, support for street vendors.
4. Mirabai listed eighth in latest Olympic qualification rankings
Former world champion Mirabai Chanu maintained her eighth spot released by the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF).
- The Olympic qualification competes in the 49kg category gathered 2966.6406 ranking points.
- Chanu improved her performance in 2019. She lifted 86kg in snatch and a personal best of 113kg in clean and jerk for a total of 199kg at the Asian Championships in April. Her best performance came at the World Championship in September, when the Manipuri breached the much anticipated 200kg mark by lifting her personal best in all three sections.
5. Govt appointed AIIMS Prof Suresh Chandra Sharma as the first chief of NMC
The chief of Delhi AIIMS ENT head-neck surgery department Professor Suresh Chandra Sharma appointed the chairman of the National Medical Commission.
- The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of Sharma for three years.
- The governors of the Medical Council of India (MCI) appointed as the secretary of the Commission for a similar term.
National Medical Commission (NMC) Act, 2019
National Medical Commission (NMC) Act 2019 implements for a system to quality and affordable medical education. It confirms the availability of adequate and high-quality medical professionals in all parts of the country. Medical Council of India for the development and regulation of all aspects of medical education, profession, and institutions. The Board of Governors appointed to perform its functions.
6. HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal will inaugurate 28th New Delhi World Book Fair
Human Resources Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal inaugurate the 28th edition of the annual New Delhi World Book Fair at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- The book fair will be organized by National Book Trust (NBT) held from January 4 to 12 in the national capital. Girishwar Mishra will be the chief guest on occasion.
- Mahatma Gandhiji’s 150 birth anniversary celebrations the theme of this year is Gandhi. The fair will be open to the public from 11 am to 8 pm. The Other features at the show will include Theme pavilion, authors corner, seminar hall, braille books, children’s tent, and foreign countries building.
Main of the Book Fair
The main aim is to promote readership policies and also support the markets in neighboring countries. The fair is important for the Indian market. The fair attracts investors from other countries like the USA, Japan, Bangladesh, France, Italy, Malaysia, Nepal, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Singapore. The fair is important for the Indian market as India is the third-largest market for English publications with more than 12,000 publishers.
7. The Year 2020 deputed as Year of Nurse and Midwife
World Health Organization has assigned 2020 as the Year of the Nurse and the Midwife to honor the 200th birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the collaborating partner in the three-year Nursing Now Campaign (2018-2020).
Aim of Campaign
The main objective is to improve health globally by raising the status and profile of nursing, demonstrating achieved by a strengthened nursing profession, and enabling nurses to maximize their contribution to achieving Universal Health Coverage.
8. Hillary Clinton elected as the new chancellor of Queen’s University Belfast in Ireland
Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has elected as the new chancellor of Queen’s University in Belfast, Ireland.
- Clinton who is a regular visitor to Northern Ireland back to the first visit of President Bill Clinton in 1995. She becomes the university’s first female chancellor and will serve as chancellor for a five-year term.
- The position of chancellor vacant since the death in 2018 of Thomas J Moran, chairman, president, and chief executive of Mutual of America Life Insurance Company.