1. Ministry of Home Affairs released a booklet titled A Handbook for Students on Cyber Safety to aware teenagers about online Crimes and Threats
The Ministry of Home Affairs released a booklet in the English language titled “A Handbook for Students on Cyber Safety” to aware the Students and Adolescents about the cyber safety.
- The booklet also address the problems associated with increased use of smartphones, Social Media, Online gaming.
- The book explains the various kinds of Cyber-crimes like identity theft, job fraud, email spoofing and how children can overcome them.
2. Venkaiah flagged off the first IndiGo Airlines flight to Singapore from the Vijayawada
Vice-President M.Venkaiah Naidu flagged off the first IndiGo Airlines flight to Singapore from the Vijayawada international airport, Vijayawada on 4th December.
- Mr.Venkaiah Naidu also laid the foundation stone for the integrated passenger terminal being developed at an estimated cost of Rs.611 crore at the airport.
- He appreciated the efforts of the State and the Central governments in facilitating Andhra Pradesh with air connectivity under UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik) scheme. He mentioned the scheme would enable greater regional connectivity. Vijayawada and Tirupati airports were already declared as international airports.
3. Gautam Gambhir announced retirement from all forms of cricket
Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir represented India in 58 Tests, 147 ODIs and 37 T20Is.
- He played key roles in India’s title victories in the 2007 World T20 and the 2011 World Cup, top-scoring for India with 75 and 97 in the respective finals.
- He made his debut in 2003 and last played for India in a Test against England in Rajkot in 2016. He retires with nine Test centuries and 11 ODI centuries to his name.
4. State Bank of India ropes in Swapna Barman as brand ambassador for YONO
State Bank of India roped in Asian Games gold medalist Swapna Barman as brand ambassador for its digital app YONO(You only need one).
YONO is an integrated digital banking platform offered by State Bank of India (SBI) to enable users to access a variety of financial and other services such as taxi bookings, online shopping, or medical bill payments.
5. Saavn Media launched JioSaavn
Saavn Media Private Limited, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), launched JioSaavn. This launch signals the official integration of JioMusic and Saavn. It will be available across all app stores.
- RIL acquired Saavn Media in March and the implied valuation of the combined entity stands at over $1 billion. JioSaavn combines the streaming media expertise of Saavn with Jio’s digital services ecosystem.
- The Saavn co-founders Rishi Malhotra, Paramdeep Singh, and Vinodh Bhat, would continue their leadership roles.
6. World Soil Day is observed on 5 December
World Soil Day is celebrated annually on the 5th of December at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) headquarters in Rome, the regional offices and through national and local events.
#StopSoilPollution is the objective of this World Soil Day on 5 December and throughout the year.
7. Kohli India’s top-paid sportsperson of 2018 at 228 crore: Forbes
Team India captain Virat Kohli has featured as the highest-earning sportsperson in the 2018 Forbes India Celebrity 100 list with ₹228.09-crore earnings.
- Kohli was also the top-paid sportsperson in 2016 and 2017 with ₹134.44 crore and ₹100.72 crore earnings respectively.
- Former captain MS Dhoni follows Kohli as the second highest-paid sportsperson in the 2018 list with ₹101.77-crore earnings.
8. Government of India appointed Ajay Narayan Jha as new Finance Secretary
Prime Minister Narendra Modi led Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has cleared Jha’s appointment to the post after incumbent Hasmukh Adhia, a 1981-batch Gujarat cadre officer of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), retired on November 30.
After Jha retires on 31 January, economic affairs secretary Subhash Chandra Garg, a 1983 batch Rajasthan carde IAS officer, who will become the senior most secretary in the ministry is likely to take charge as the finance secretary.
9. First India Japan Air Exercise SHINYUU Maitri 2018 began
A bilateral air exercise ‘SHINYUU Maitri-18’, between the Japanese Air Self Defence Force (JASDF) and Indian Air Force (IAF) began on December 3, 2018 at Air Force Station Agra. The exercise will end on December 7, 2018.
- The theme of the exercise is joint Mobility/Humanitarian Assistance & Disaster Relief (HADR) on Transport aircraft.
- IAF is participating with An-32 and C-17 aircraft with aircrew & observers.
10. Mattis says India and U.S. will sort out sanctions waiver
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is now on a visit to Washington. She was given an extended honor cordon (guard) at the Pentagon.
- Ms.Sitharaman and Mr. Mattis held talks about bilateral ties.
- Also, the U.S. Secretary of Defence Jim Mattis said that India and the U.S. are planning to solve issues around a U.S. sanctions waiver related to India’s purchase of the S-400 Triumf missile defence system from Russia.
11. Jon Ridgeon appointed as CEO of International Association of Athletics Federations
Ridgeon will take up the new role in March 2019. He will replace Frenchman Olivier Gers, who resigned from the post in March citing differences with the global governing body’s commercial strategy.
- He is former British record holder and silver medalist in the 110 m hurdles in the 1987 World Championships in Rome.
- He also represented Great Britain in two Olympic Games – Seoul in 1988 and Atlanta in 1996.