1. Bihar approved a draft Bill on providing 10% quota to the EWS
The Bihar Cabinet has approved a draft Bill on providing 10% quota in government jobs and educational institutions to the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) among the general category. The Bill is set to be tabled before the bicameral State legislature during the budget session beginning February 11.
The state government has already been giving education scheme benefits to the poor among upper castes having an annual income of less than Rs.1.5 lakh in wake of state upper caste commission recommendations.
- Formed on: March 1912
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
- Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
- Capital: Patna
- Official Language: Hindi
2. Assam topped in budgetary practices followed by states: Transparency International
According to a survey by Transparency International, Assam tops in the ranking of best practices followed by states in budget formulation.
- Assam is the only state which has published a citizens budget in the public domain and Assam government is only government to conduct budget awareness campaign across 17 districts.
- Assam was followed by Andhra Pradesh and Odisha while Meghalaya, Manipur, and Punjab were figured at lower positions.
About Transparency International
- Headquarter: Berlin, Germany
- Founded: 1993
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: Shri Sarbananda Sonowal
3. P.V.Bharathi appointed as the MD and CEO of Corporation Bank
The government has appointed P.V.Bharathi as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Corporation Bank. Earlier she has served as the Executive Director of Canara Bank.
- Corporation Bank is public-sector banking The company headquartered in Mangaluru, India. She took charge on February 1, 2019. The bank has a pan-Indian presence.
- The bank has a network of 2,600 fully automated CBS branches, 3,040 ATMs, and 4,724 branchless banking units across the country.
4. International World Cancer Day celebrated on 4th February
The world celebrates the World Cancer Day on 4th February. World Cancer Day was founded by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration, written in 2008.
- The aim is to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
- The main goal is to significantly reduce illness and death caused by cancer and is an opportunity to rally the international community to end the injustice of preventable suffering from cancer.
5. P.S.Krishnan is to receive K.Veeramani Award
K. Veeramani Award for Social Justice 2018 will be conferred on P.S. Krishnan, former Secretary, Government of India. Dravidar Kazhagam leader Veeramani will felicitate the awardee at a function in New Delhi.
About the award:
- Periyar International Inc., (USA) gives an annual award for outstanding contributions to Social Justice, which is named his honor.
- Mr.V.P.Singh, former Prime Minister of India, was the first recipient of the award. K.Veeramani is an Honorary Associate of Rationalist International.
6. Rishi Kumar Shukla appointed as Director of CBI
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Rishi Kumar Shukla as Director, CBI, for a period of two years. Shukla is at present Chairman of Madhya Pradesh Police Housing Corporation in Bhopal.
The CBI chief’s post has been lying vacant since January 10 after the unceremonious exit of Alok Verma, who had been engaged in a bitter fight with Gujarat-cadre IPS officer Rakesh Asthana over corruption charges.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI):
- Formed: 1941 as the Special Police Establishment
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Director: Rishi Kumar Shukla
- Parent: Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions
7. Sana Mir became the first Asian woman to play hundred T20Is
Former Pakistan women’s cricket team skipper Sana Mir became the first Asian woman cricketer to play hundred T20 international matches.
- The 33-year-old reached the milestone when she walked into the field for the ongoing third and final T20I against West Indies in Karachi.
- Sana is the sixth woman cricketer to complete a century of T20 Internationals.
- Deandra Dottin of West Indies tops the list with a total of 109 T20Is to her name.
8. Qatar won their First-ever Asian Cup Title In Football by defeating Japan
Qatar won its first major soccer title by beating four-time champion Japan 3-1 in the 17th edition of the AFC Asian Cup held in United Arab Emirates(UAE).
- Sudan born Almoez Ali, became the first player to score nine goals at a single Asian Cup.
- He breaks the record of Iranian Ali Daei, who scored eight goals in1996.
- Top scorer of the tournament was conferred to Almoez Ali(He created a Record After Scoring 9 Goals)
- Best player of the tournament was conferred to Qatar Almoez Ali
9. Indus River Dolphin declared Punjab’s State aquatic animal
Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh declared one of the rarest mammal, Indus River Dolphin, which is only found in Beas River, as Punjab State Aquatic Animal.
- Chief Minister constituted a committee comprised eminent members of the State Board of Wildlife, including Major AP Singh, Hardit Singh Sidhu, Col. P.S. Grewal and Jaskaran Singh and officers of Wildlife Department, to examine certain issues related to formation of separate Directorate of Wildlife & Wetlands of Bir Moti Bagh wildlife Sanctuary to provide a natural habitat to various wildlife species .
- Chief Minister approved to declare Kanjli Wetland and holy Kali Bein River as a wildlife conservation reserve to mark the historic celebration of 550th Parkash Purab of Sri Guru Nanak Dev.
10. Smriti Mandhana Tops Women’s ODI Batting Record
India’s Smriti Mandhana attained top in the ICC ODI rankings for batswomen, she grabs the first position after the match against New Zealand, whereas Ellyse Perry followed her in the second position and Indian ODI skipper Mithali Raj in the fifth position.
- In the ODI Bowler’s ranking, veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami is fourth, with Poonam Yadav at eighth, and spinner Deepti Sharma at ninth.
- According to an International Cricket Council (ICC) statement, it was fine recognition for Smriti Mandhana, who has been in an exemplary form in the one-day format.
- In the 15 ODIs Smriti Mandhana has played since the beginning of 2018, she has scored two centuries and eight half-centuries.