1. Indian Railways celebrate Golden Jubilee of first Rajdhani Express
The first Rajdhani Express of the Indian Railways network has completed 50 years on March 3, 2019.
- Kolkata’s Howrah Rajdhani Express was the first Rajdhani Express train and the very first fully air-conditioned train introduced by the Indian Railways.
- The Kolkata-New Delhi Rajdhani Express embarked on its maiden journey on March 3, 1969 from Howrah, making it the country’s first fully-air conditioned, high-speed train that covered the 1,450 km stretch in 17 hours and 20 minutes.
2. Cricket to be included in 2022 Asian Games
Cricket is included in the sports Programme for the 2022 Asian Games to be held in Hangzhou, China.
- The decision was reportedly taken at the Olympic Council of Asia’s (OCA) General Assembly.
- Cricket was omitted from the 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia after featuring in 2010 and 2014.
- In India’s absence, Sri Lanka – among men – and Pakistan — among women – had clinched the gold in 2014. In 2010, Bangladesh clinched the men’s title, and Pakistan the women’s title.
3. Prayagraj Kumbh Mela 2019 has made into Guinness World Records
On the last day over one crore devotees took the holy dip at Sangam in Prayagraj on the occasion of ‘Mahashivratri’. Chief Minister Yogi Aditynath formally concluded the Mela.
- The Uttar Pradesh government branded it as ‘Divya Kumbh, Bhavya Kumbh.
- Around 24 crore devotees from across the world took the holy dip at sangam.
- Haridwar will be the venue for next Kumbh in 2022.
The Prayagraj Kumbh Mela 2019 has made into Guinness World Records in the following three sectors:
- Largest traffic and crowd management plan
- Biggest painting exercise of public sites under paint my city scheme
- Biggest sanitation and waste disposal mechanism
- Kumbh Mela, the festival of the sacred pitcher is the largest public gathering and collective act of faith, anywhere in the world. It is celebrated four times over a course of 12 years over four locations in India
- The Kumbh Mela has been inscribed on the list of “Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity” by UNESCO in 2017
The four sacred rivers where Kumbh Mela is celebrated are:
- Haridwar on the Ganges in Uttarakhand
- Ujjain on the Shipra in Madhya Pradesh
- Nashik on the Godavari in Maharashtra
- Prayagraj at the confluence of the Ganges, the Yamuna, and the mythical Sarasvati in Uttar Pradesh
4. PM launched ‘One Nation One Card’ for all modes of travel
PM Narendra Modi launched the indigenously-developed National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) while inaugurating the first phase of the Ahmedabad metro train service in Ahmedabad.
Dubbed as ‘One Nation One Card’ can be used to pay for travelling on any mode of transportation and can also be used to withdraw money and to shop across the country.
5. ISRO launched ‘Yuva Vigyani Karyakram’ for school children
Indian Space Research Organisation launched “Yuva VIgyani Karyakram”, a “Young Scientist Programme” for the School Children to be studying in the ninth standard.
- ISRO Scientists will impart basic knowledge on Space Technology, Space Science and Space Applications to the young ones with the intent of arousing their interest in the emerging areas of Space activities.
- “Catch them young” residential training programme will be of around two weeks duration during summer holidays with a proposal to select 3 students from each State and Union Territory, covering CBSE, ICSE and State syllabus.
6. PM Modi launched Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Mandhan (PM-SYM) Yojana
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Mandhan (PM-SYM) Yojana in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The national pension scheme is for workers and Labour of unorganized sector.
- It was announced in the interim budget in February this year.
- It will provide monthly pension of 3000 rupees to the employees of unorganized sector after 60 years of age.
7. Former union minister Dhananjay Kumar passes away
Former minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government, Venur Dhananjay Kumar, passed away in Mangaluru. He was 67. He passed away after a prolonged illness
- A four-time Lok Sabha member, Kumar served in various capacities in the Vajpayee government, holding the portfolios of civil aviation, finance and textiles, the latter two as minister of state. His journey in the electoral politics began from 1983 when he first became an MLA from BJP.
- He had worked hard for the welfare of the state as a cabinet minister in the Vajpayee government.
8. Maharashtra govt to appoint Lokpal in universities
Maharashtra government will appoint a Lokpal in all universities except agricultural universities to resolve student grievances.
- The appointment of the students’ ombudsman would be made in the next two to three months.
- Maharashtra would be the first state in the country to have such a Lokpal for universities.
- The Lokpal will be a person related to the university and someone not below the rank of the retired district judge or a retired vice-chancellor.
9. Rajnath Singh inaugurated project BOLD-QIT on India-Bangladesh border
Rajnath Singh inaugurated the project BOLD-QIT (Border Electronically Dominated QRT Interception Technique) on India-Bangladesh border in Dhubri District of Assam.
- Border Security Force, BSF is responsible for safeguarding of over four thousand kilometer long International Border with Bangladesh.
- At various places, it is not possible to erect Border Fence due to the geographical barriers.
- To overcome this problem, in the year 2017, Ministry of Home Affairs decided to go for technological solution besides the physical presence of manpower of B
10. Jhulan, Shikha in top five in women’s ODI rankings
For the first time in nine years, two India bowlers, Jhulan Goswami and Shikha Pandey, joined the top five club in the latest ICC women’s cricket rankings for ODI bowlers.
- Jhulan Goswami secured the No.1 spot.
- While Shikha Pandey made a tremendous come back by picking up eight wickets, has jumped 12 places to occupy the fifth spot in the list.
- Left-handed India opener Smriti Mandhana consolidated her position at the top with a career-best 797 points.
- In ODI All-Rounder rankings, Shikha Pandey has been placed joint 3rd along with South Africa’s Dane van Niekerk.