1. Neutral pronoun ‘they’ chose Word of the Decade
Neutral pronoun ‘they’ has been voted word of the decade by US language experts, beating out other contenders.
- “They” is used in English by a growing number of non-binary individuals, people who do not identify as either male or female. They prefer the plural neutral pronoun to bypass using the pronouns “he” or “she”.
- The recognition comes after the US dictionary Merriam-Webster in December named “they” as word of the year.
2. India listed 34th on world travel, tourism competitiveness index
India has reached 34th position in the World Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index according to the WEF report.
- India’s rankings improved from 40th to 34th in 2017 among the top 25 percent of all countries ranked in the report.
- Spain topped the World Economic Forum (WEF) ‘s latest Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report (TTCR), which ranked 140 countries based on their relative strength in global tourism and travel.
- Spain was followed by France, Germany, and Japan, with the United States replacing the UK in the top five.
3. Irfan Pathan declared retirement from all forms of Cricket
Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan has announced his retirement from all forms of Cricket.
- Irfan, who played 29 Tests, 120 ODIs and 24 T20Is, made his Team India debut at the age of 19 in 2003 and last played for India in October 2012.
- He was part of the winning Indian team in the 2007 World Twenty20 and was the man of the match in the final against Pakistan.
4. Saurabh Chaudhary acquires gold in men’s 10 m air pistol at 63rd National Shooting Championship
Ace shooter Saurabh Chaudhary acquired the men’s 10 meters air pistol gold at the 63rd National Shooting Championship in Bhopal.
- The 17-year-old from Uttar Pradesh shot a classy 246.4 to finish on top.
- Second-placed Sarabjot Singh of Haryana was well behind with a score of 243.9, while world number two Abhishek Verma settled for bronze in a high-quality final.
- Abhishek and Sarabjot together won the team gold for Haryana.
5. Gujarat government employees now get DA at par with central govt employees
The Gujarat government lifted the dearness allowance (DA) by five percent. DA would be 17 percent on par with Central government employees with it. The hike will come into effect retrospectively from July 1, 2019.
- It will benefit 5.11 lakh employees and 4.5 lakh, pensioners.
- This month’s salary paid with new DA, arrears of previous months would pay in a phased manner.
6. Chhattisgarh CM delegates panels for Rs 2500 paddy price
Chhattisgarh chief minister Bhupesh Baghel is ready to set up a committee to ensure the payment of Rs 2500 per quintal to farmers against the procurement of paddy.
Committee to ensure the payment of Rs 2500
Within a month, the schemes of central and state governments for provisions of financial aids for farmers and after detailed discussion-deliberation on all the aspects and submit a recommendation. In November last year, the Baghel-led Congress government declared it would form the panel. The minimum support price for paddy given to farmers per rate fixed by the Centre Rs 1815 per quintal for common grade paddy and Rs 1835 per quintal for Grade A paddy new scheme will be initiated to pay the farmers the difference amount to make it Rs 2500 per quintal. The Congress won the assembly polls with a thumping majority ending the 15-year rule of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) promised in his manifesto that he would procure paddy at the rate of Rs 2500 per quintal. The chief minister repeatedly said that the central government is not cooperating in fulfilling his paddy promise.
7. Income tax department issued a new 2020 calendar for taxpayers with all deadlines
The income tax department has issued a new calendar for the year 2020, a list of all the important tax-related deadlines.
- The File-it-yourself calendar will help taxpayers file their income tax returns. The e-calendar tells taxpayers of the various services offered by the taxman.
- The due dates for TCS and TDS deposits for the quarter ending December 31, 2019. The march 15 is the due date for payment of the fourth and last installment of advance tax for the year 2020-21.