1. Macedonia signed accord to join NATO
Macedonia signed an accord to join NATO to become the 30th member of the US-led alliance.
- At a formal signing of the NATO accession protocol, Macedonia’s Foreign Minister Nikola Dimitrov hailed the moment as showing that the country will never walk alone once in the alliance.
- NATO (the North Atlantic Treaty Organization) is an international alliance that consists of 30 member states from North America and Europe.
- It was established at the signing of the North Atlantic Treaty on 4 April 1949.
2. Indian Coast Guard signed MoU with AAI
Indian Coast Guard and the Airport Authority of India signed a Memorandum of Understanding for coordination in the aeronautical and maritime search and rescue operations.
- Memorandum of Understanding with Airport Authority of India(AAI) is aimed at strengthening mutual interactions, interoperability and validating procedures during conduct of search and rescue operations.
- The operations will be conducted jointly by the Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) Kolkata, Airport Authority of India (AAI) and Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) in Port Blair.
3. RBI announced bi-monthly monetary policy
The Monetary Policy Committee headed by Reserve Bank of India Governor Shaktikanta Das, announced a reduction in policy repo rate.
- The repo rate will reduced from 6.5 per cent to 6.25 per cent with immediate effect.
- Consequently, the reverse repo rate stands adjusted to 6.0 per cent, and the marginal standing facility rate and the Bank Rate to 6.5 per cent.
- The bank also projected an economic growth rate of 7.4 per cent for the next fiscal, up from 7.2 per cent estimated for the current fiscal by Central Statistics Office.
4. CLTA signed deal with CAM
The Chandigarh Lawn Tennis Association (CLTA) signed a deal with Club Atletico Montemar (CAM), Spain, for a five-year period, to ensure a high standard of training for its trainees.
- The protocol, signed by CLTA president Jai Singh Gill and the Founder-Director of CAM, Joaquin Perez Roman, at the CLTA Complex, would help the trainees get two weeks of training every season from the visiting experts.
- The coach and trainer who visit the CLTA from Spain will try to upgrade training facilities and provide the latest skills. Four trainees of CLTA’s rural scheme CHART will also visit Spain for two to three weeks to learn international techniques.
5. PM JAY App has been launched on Google play store
Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) App has been launched on Google play store. Ayushman Bharat Yojana or Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) is a centrally sponsored scheme.
- The scheme was launched in the year 2018 under the Ayushman Bharat Mission of MoHFW in the country.
- This scheme aims at making interventions in primary, secondary and tertiary care systems, covering both preventive and promotive health, to address healthcare holistically. Moving ahead to digitalization this app is now available on Google Play store.
6. RBI imposed Rs.1 crore penalty on Syndicate Bank
The Reserve Bank of India imposed a penalty of Rs.1 crore on Syndicate Bank due to non-compliance with the directions regarding frauds and risk management systems. RBI also imposed fine of Rs.20 lakh on Axis Bank for violating norms.
- Founded in: 1925
- Headquarters: Udupi, Karnataka
- Non-Exe Chairman: Ajay Vipin Nanavati
- MD & CEO: Mrutyunjay Mahapatra
7. Sanjiv Ranjan appointed as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Colombia
Ministry of External Affairs appointed Sanjiv Ranjan as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Colombia.
Presently he is the Ambassador of India to Argentina. Ranjan who is a 1993 batch Indian Foreign Service officer
Ministry of External Affairs:
- Formed: September 1946
- Headquarters: Raisina Hill, New Delhi
- Minister: Sushma Swaraj
- The Ministry is responsible for the conduct of foreign relations of India
- Capital: Bogota
- Official languages: Spanish
- President: Ivan Duque
- Currency: Peso (COP)
8. SBI UK chief honoured Freedom of the City of London
State Bank of India’s UK chief Shri Sanjiv Chadha honoured with the ‘Freedom of the City Of London’ by city of London Corporation.
- Sanjiv Chadha was nominated for the honour by Lord Mayor of London Peter Estlin and Sheriff Vincent Keaveny.
- Sanjiv Chadha took up the position in 2014 and he will be succeeded by Sharad Chandak.
- The genesis of the ‘Freedom of the City of London’ is traced to the medieval time of around 123.
9. Darwaza Band Part 2 campaign launched by Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin
Shri Babanrao Lonikar Maharashtra’s Minister for Water Supply and Sanitation and Shri Parameswaran Iyer Secretary, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation were also present.
- The World Bank supported the Darwaza Band -Part 2.
- Three “Darwaza Band Part 2” films were launched by Amitabh Bachchan and dedicated re-adaptation of a poem of his father late Harivansh Rai Bachchan to the Swachh Bharat Mission “Swachh Tann, Swachh Mann, Swachh Bharat, Mera Parichay”.
- Over 50 crore people stopped defecating in the open since the launch of the Swachh Bharat Mission and with over 5.5 lakh villages have been declared Open Defecation Free (ODF) and the national sanitation coverage is now 98% compared to 39% in 2014.
10. Union Minister Smriti Irani launches India Size project in Mumbai
Union Minister of Textiles Smriti Irani launched the India Size project in Mumbai.
- A first-of-its-kind project in the history of the country, India Size aims to arrive at a standard Indian Size for the ready-to-wear clothing industry, on the lines of the standardized sizes available in countries such as the USA and the UK.
- India size project will benefit manufacturers, consumers and generate data which will help tap into the potential of the sector.
- The Minister also launched a Study of Apparel Consumption in India.