1. Women Science Congress launches in Bengaluru
On 5th Jan, the Women Science Congress was inaugurated at the ongoing Indian Science Congress in Bengaluru.
- DRDO Aeronautical Systems Director General Dr.Tessy Thomas graced the occasion as the Chief Guest. She is also known as Missile Woman of India
- Recalling the contribution of women in different spheres, she said, the status of women in the country is changing as their growing presence is seen in many areas of expertise.
2. Kochi will host global meet on marine ecosystem
From January 7 to 10, Kochi is ready to host the third international symposium on marine ecosystems’ challenges and opportunities (MECOS-3).
- Organized by the Marine Biological Association of India, MECOS-3 will serve as a platform for discussions on a range of topics, including the impact of the climate crisis on marine ecosystems and the unusual warming of the Arabian Sea.
- The meet will also focus on the UN’s sustainable development goal-14 (life underwater), development of small-scale fisheries, recent developments in aquaculture, eco-labeling and green fishing technologies.
- The symposium is aimed at reviewing the concerns involved in the marine ecosystem and formulating strategies for the better and sustainable utilization of marine wealth.
3. MP govt begins Mukhyamantri Karmachari Swasthya Bima Yojana
The Madhya Pradesh government has given its 12.55 lakh employees a new year bonanza by approving a health insurance scheme, ‘Mukhyamantri Karmachari Swasthya Bima Yojana’.
- The scheme will be effective from April 1 and will make every government employee and their families eligible for medical treatment worth Rs 5 lakh annually.
- For some critical diseases, the eligibility will be enhanced to Rs 10 lakh.
4. Golden Globes Awards: 2020
The 77th Golden Globe Awards were proclaimed at the Beverly Hilton hotel in California.
List of winners:
- Best Motion Picture – Drama: 1917
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama: Renee Zellweger, (Judy)
- Best Motion Picture – Animated: Missing Link
- Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture: Laura Dern, (Marriage Story)
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama: Joaquin Phoenix, (Joker)
- Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language: Parasite (South Korea)
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Taron Egerton, (Rocketman)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture: Brad Pitt, (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood)
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Awkwafina, (The Farewell)
- Best Screenplay – Motion Picture: Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
- Best Director – Motion Picture: Sam Mendes, (1917)
- Best Original Song – Motion Picture: I’m Gonna Love Me Again, (Rocketman)
- Best Original Score – Motion Picture: Hildur Gudnadottir, (Joker)
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama: Olivia Colman, (The Crown)
- Best Television Series – Drama: Succession
- Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Fleabag
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama: Brian Cox, (Succession)
5. India’s Forex sanctuaries touch an all-time high of 457.468 billion
India’s foreign exchange reserves swelled by 2.520 billion USD to touch a record high of 457.468 billion USD in the week that ended on 27th December 2019.
- An RBI press release informed that foreign currency assets, a major part of the overall reserves rose by 2.203 billion USD to 424.936 billion USD.
- India’s special drawing rights with the International Monetary Fund, however, dipped by 2 million USD to 1.441 billion USD, while the country’s reserve position increased by 58 million USD to 3.7 billion USD.
Indian paddler Manav Thakkar surpassed the latest International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rankings and became world number 1 in the Under-21 men’s singles category.
- Thakkar became the fourth Indian to achieve the rank after Harmeet Desai, G Sathiyan and Soumyajit Ghosh. He jumped nine places to etch his name in the history books.
- The 19-year-old Thakkar gained the rank after claiming the Under-21 men’s singles title at the ITTF Challenge Plus Benemax-Virgo North American Open in Markham, Canada in December 2019. Thakkar was also ranked world no. 1 in the Under-18 category in February 2018. He was also a part of the Indian men’s team which won a bronze medal in the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta.