1. BHEL installed 1st solar EV charging station on Delhi-Chandigarh Highway
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has set up its first solar-based electric vehicle (EV) charger on the Delhi-Chandigarh Highway.
- The project is covered under the FAME scheme (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles).
- To be implemented from April 1, 2019, the FAME II scheme envisages setting up of about 2,700 charging stations across India so that at least one charging station is available in a grid of 3×3 km2.
2. Scientist Ajit Kumar Mohanty appointed as BARC Director
The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has appointed scientist Ajit Kumar Mohanty as its Director. He has been appointed for a period of three years.
- He is at present Director, Physics Group in BARC and Director, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics.
- The BARC is India’s premier nuclear research facility based in Mumbai.
3. Bharat Electronics launched SWAGAT- Automatic Fare Collection Gating System
Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), a defense public sector undertaking, presented SWAGAT – the Automatic Fare Collection Gating System.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the system on Monday as part of the inaugural of Phase I of the Ahmedabad Metro.
- SWAGAT is an initiative steered by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) in collaboration with BEL and Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC) with the support of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) and State Bank of India (SBI).
4. Historic Guinness World Record in yoga in Hong Kong made by over 1,000 people
A Guinness World Record in Yoga was set by more than a thousand people who performed the Virabathrasan or the Warrior II Pose for 3 minutes, in Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park, Hong Kong.
- This initiative to promote yoga was taken by Overseas President of BJP for Hong Kong and China Sohan Goenka.
- The record is a first of its kind in the history of Hong Kong, beating the previous record of 387, when more than 1011 yoga practitioners attempted the Virabathrasan, or the Warrior II Pose, in Hong Kong’s Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park.
5. Indore declared as India’s cleanest city for the third year in a row
Indore was adjudged India’s cleanest city for the third straight year in the central government’s Swachh Survekshan 2019 awards.
- The second and third positions were grabbed by Ambikapur in Chhattisgarh and Mysuru in Karnataka, respectively.
- Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh is the cleanest capital city.
- Top 3 performing states are Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, and Maharashtra respectively
- Gujarat’s Ahmedabad, is the cleanest big city with a population of more than 10 lakhs.
- New Delhi Municipal Corporation is India’s Cleanest Small City (Population between 1-3 lakhs).
- Best Performing state in Solid Waste Management in Madhya Pradesh.
- Swachh Survekshan 2019 is a pan India cleanliness survey that covered a total of 4,237 towns and cities and was conducted between January 4 to 31.
6. Kylie Jenner is the world’s youngest billionaire: Forbes
Kylie Jenner is named the youngest self-made billionaire of all time by Forbes magazine. She is both, the world’s youngest billionaire and also the youngest self-made billionaire ever.
- Jenner, 21, the half-sister of reality television stars Kim, Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian.
- She made it onto the annual Forbes list of billionaires after debuting her Kylie Cosmetics online in 2015 with $29 lip kits containing matching lipstick and lip liner.
7. 7th March 2019 celebrated as ‘JanaushadhiDiwas’ across India
On 7th March 2019, Janaushadhi Diwas is being celebrated across the country.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed five thousand Janaushadhi stores across the country through video-conferencing on the occasion. More than five thousand Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana Kendras, PMBJP, are functional in 652 districts.
- The market share of generic medicines has grown over three-fold from two percent to seven percent in the last 3 years.
- The Janaushadhi Kendras are providing quality medicine at an affordable price.
8. Govt to roll out 12-edged Rs 20 coin
The Finance Ministry announced in a gazette notification to roll out Rs 20 coin for the first time in the country.
- The new coin will be shaped like a “dodecagon” – a 12-edged polygon.
- The Rs 20 coin will have some similarities with the Rs 10 coin that is in circulation across the country.
- The new coin will be two-toned and have a diameter of 27 mm, similar to Rs 10 coin.
- The outer ring of Rs 20 coin will be 65 percent copper, 15 percent zinc and 20 per nickel, the inner disc will be 75 percent copper, 20 percent zinc and five percent nickel.
9. Ajit Kumar Mohanty appointed Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
Distinguished scientist Ajit Kumar Mohanty has been appointed Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
- It is the country’s premier multi-disciplinary nuclear research facility based in Mumbai.
- Mohanty has been appointed Director for a period of three years.
- Founder: Homi J. Bhabha
- Founded: 3 January 1954
10. Manpreet Singh named the captain of the Indian hockey team for Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
Manpreet Singh is named the captain of the 18-member Indian hockey team to play in the upcoming 28th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup.
- The prestigious tournament will be held in Ipoh, Malaysia from the 23rd March. Surender Kumar will be the Vice-Captain of the team.
- Apart from India and hosts Malaysia, the other participating nations in the tournament are Canada, Korea, South Africa, and Japan.