1. India recognized as an observer of Indian Ocean commission
India has recognized as a member of the Indian Ocean Commission, the inter-governmental organization that coordinates maritime governance in the south-western Indian Ocean.
India applied to join the organization as a supervisor last month. The IOC has four observers – China, Malta, the European Union and the International Organization for International La Francophonie (OIF)
It was set up in 1982, the Indian Ocean Commission comprises Seychelles, Madagascar, Comoros, Mauritius, and Reunion island, France’s overseas territory in the region.
India supported a more important role for France in the larger Indian Ocean Rim Association. Although France is already an IORA dialogue partner, gaining membership through its foreign territories has proved to be a far-off bridge, with opposition from its former Indian colonial states.
2. Kareena Kapoor Khan signs a 2-yr contract as Puma’s brand ambassador
German sportswear brand Puma has signed a two-year deal with Indian film actress Kareena Kapoor Khan as its brand ambassador.
- With the deal, she entered the brand’s roster of celebrity faces such as Sara Ali Khan, Virat Kohli, MC Mary Kom and Dutee Chand.
- Khan will be the face of a low-intensity training apparel collection for Puma’s soon-to-be-launched collection, targeted at workouts such as yoga, barre, and pilates.
3. Prashant Kumar elected as Yes Bank administrator
Yes Bank said Prashant Kumar, who is former deputy managing director and CFO of State Bank of India, has been taken charge as its administrator with notifications issued by the Department of Financial Services and the RBI.
The private sector lender was placed under a moratorium, in which the RBI prohibits withdrawal of deposits of Rs 50,000 per account for a month and superseding its board.
4. Bimal Julka takes charge as Chief Information Commissioner
President Ram Nath Kovind administered the oath of office to Bimal Julka as Chief Information Commissioner (CIC).
- Julka, who has previously served as the Union Information and Broadcasting Secretary, was sworn in for the post at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The post was vacant after the transparent surveillance chief Sudhir Bhargava retired on January 11.
5. Smriti Irani issues book titled ‘Chronicles of Change Champions’
Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Zubin Irani has issued a book titled ‘Chronicles of Change Champions’ at an event held in New Delhi.
- The book is a compilation of 25 innovative initiatives taken at the state and district levels under the Prime Minister’s flagship scheme of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao.
- It occupies the convergence approach adopted at the grass-roots level and provides insights into the unique way of community engagement by the district administration and front-line workers.
- The Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Panipat, Haryana on 22 January 2015 as a comprehensive program, with a comprehensive program on issues related to the decline in child sex ratio and the empowerment of women with life-cycle treaties.
6. Cabinet explains the merger of 10 PSBs into 4 banks effective April 1
The Cabinet has approved the amalgamation of the 10 public sector banks (PSB) into 4 PSBs that was announced on August 30, 2019.
The merger would come into effect from April 1, 2020.
The Cabinet’s approval will lead to the merger of –
- Andhra Bank and Corporation Bank into Union Bank of India;
- Oriental Bank of Commerce and United Bank of India into Punjab National Bank;
- Allahabad Bank into Indian Bank; and
- Syndicate Bank into Canara Bank
According to the government, the merger of 10 banks will create stronger establishments, capable of meeting the challenge of the $ 5 trillion economies.
7. SEBI launched ‘SCORES’ mobile app for investors to lodge grievances
Market regulator SEBI has launched a mobile application for redressal of grievances in SEBI Complainest Redressal System (SCORES) for the convenience of investors.
- “SCORES ‘mobile app will make it easier for investors to lodge their complaints with SEBI, as they can now use SCORES at the convenience of smartphones.
- The mobile app will encourage investors to lodge their complaints on SCORES instead of sending a letter to SEBI in physical mode.
- As per SEBI norms, entities against whom complaints are filed are required to file an action report with the regulator within 30 days of receipt of the complaint.
8. First-ever Khelo India Winter Games began at Gulmarg in Kashmir
Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju has introduced the first-ever five-day Khelo India Winter Games at Gulmarg.
- Jammu and Kashmir’s Gulmarg hosting Khelo India Winter Games 2020 from March 7th to 11th. The sports shall be organized every year at Gulmarg.
- The training academy should be established on the standards of the International level in which international coaches shall impart training to sportspersons. The interactive session with youth at National Integration Camp hosted by Government Physical Education College Gadoora, Ganderbal.
- The camp was hosted to motivate and guide the youth for their active participation in the promotion of unity, communal harmony, national integration, FIT India.
Khelo India Youth Games
Khelo India Youth Games earlier Khelo India School Games held annually in January
- First event: 2018
- Last event: 2020