1. Centre fixed price for Sovereign Gold Bonds at Rs.3,443 per gram
The union government set the price at Rs 3,443 per gram for the new series of Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGBs).
- RBI determined to allow a discount of Rs 50 per gram from the issue price to those investors who apply online.
- The payment makes through digital mode,
- The issue price of the gold bond will be Rs 3,393 per gram of gold.
- The bonds allotted every month from June 2019 to September 2019
- The sovereign gold bond scheme launched in November 2015.
2. Iraq’s Babylon classified as UNESCO’s World Heritage Site
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization’s (UNESCO) World Heritage Committee decided to list sprawling Mesopotamian metropolis of Babylon as a World Heritage Site (WHS) 30 years of lobbying efforts by Iraq.
- Iraq will have the Babylon site recognized by UNESCO.
- The World Heritage Committee met in Baku (capital of Azerbaijan) to consider Babylon.
- Babylon on WHS List will revitalize research and development of the site.
3. BSF launched operation ‘Sudarshan’
The Border Security Force (BSF) launched a massive exercise, codenamed ‘Sudarshan’, to fortify the ‘anti-infiltration grid’ along the Pakistan border in Punjab and Jammu.
- The exercise will see the entire BSF’s senior field, thousands of troops and machinery being deployed in these forward areas.
- The operation was begun on July 1 and will cover the entire over the 1,000-km length of the India-Pakistan International Border.
- While Jammu parts about 485-km of the border with Pakistan, about 553-km of the front is in Punjab.
YES Bank acquired a 9.47 % stake in dry cell battery maker, Eveready Industries India by invoking shares pledged by McLeod Russel.
- The acquisition comes after the Indian tea company McLeod Russel on repayment of credit facilities.
- McLeod’s debt is about Rs.l ,800 – 2,000 crore.
- The bank collected 68,80,149 equity shares.
- They have a nominal value of Rs 5 per share constitutes around 9.47% of the post-issue.
- Eveready and McLeod are part of the BM Khaitan Group.
- The sources indicated the lender would be paid once the deal for a stake sale in Eveready.
- The Promoter holding in Eveready was at 44.11 percent.
- Khaitan holds 42.93% in Eveready & McLeod Russel held 2.29%.
- According to McLeod’s auditor, Deloitte Haskins & Sells LLP, liabilities of the company exceeded assets by Rs 1,435.66 crores.
5. Italy’s Prosecco hills placed to UNESCO World Heritage list
Italy’s Prosecco hills were added to the World Heritage list by the UN cultural organization.
- The Conegliano and Valdobbiadene hills, where the grapes that produce the famous prosecco sparkling wine are grown.
- The region matured Italy’s 55th World Heritage site.
- The prosecco sparkling white, which has the highest classification available to Italian wine, is produced in a territory spread over nine provinces in Italy’s northeast.
6. U.S. women’s national soccer team wins the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019
The U.S. women’s national soccer team (USWNT) has won the FIFA Women’s World Cup for a record-extending fourth time on July 7 in Lyon, France. The team beat the Netherlands and secured 2-0 to win the women’s World Cup. This victory is a record-extending fourth time for the U.S. women’s national soccer team.
- The dignitaries which involved FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino, and France’s president, Emmanuel Macron presented the winners’ medal and trophy.
- The Head coach of USWNT is Jill Ellis. The captains of the team are Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, and Megan Rapinoe. USWNT won its first World Cup in 1991 in China.
FIFA Women’s World Cup:
- FIFA-Fédération Internationale de Football Association
- Founded on: 1991
- Number of teams: 24
- Current champions: United States (4th title)
The competition is being held every four years since 1991
7. India successfully experiments vertical steep dive version of Brahmos mission
India has successfully experimented the vertical steep dive version of the Brahmos supersonic cruise missile that changes the dynamics of conventional warfare.
- The upgraded version of the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile with an enhanced range of up to 500 km is also ready.
- Brahmos missile is the heaviest weapon to be deployed on the Su-30 fighters which cruise at almost three times the speed of sound at Mach 2.8.
8. Bi-cycle sharing scheme will be introduced in Puducherry
Puducherry smart city development plan launched a bicycle sharing scheme
- It is to be introduced in Puducherry in a couple of months.
- The registered customers can use bicycles to hop from one place to another
- The bicycles can be left at any of the docking stations
- It is a boon to tourists who throng to Puducherry in thousands whose number swells to several thousand on weekends.
- The total population of the UT is over 11 lakhs
- Around 100 spots have been identified for cycle docking stations.
- The 20 docking stations with 10 to 15 cycles are to be set up in places like the beach promenade, Bharathi Park, Gandhi Thidal, Aurobindo ashram, and railway station.
- It is a welcome step taken by the government under the smart city plan.
- It is a novel scheme suitable to Puducherry
9. The third edition of International Sunflower Seed and Oil Conference (lSSOC) 2019 will be scheduled in Mumbai
The third edition of International Sunflower Seed and Oil Conference(lSSOC)2019 is scheduled in Mumbai
- India decided to host the third edition of International Sunflower Seed and Oil Conference(lSSOC) 2019.
- The function will take place in Maharashtra, Mumbai.
- The main aim to encourage better communications among sunflower oil producers, and industry groups.
- The event presented by the Solvent Extractors’ Association of India (SEA)
- It is designed by the International Sunflower Oil Association (ISOA).
- Around 300 delegates from across the world who have interests in sunflower seed, oil, and meal.
About International Sunflower Seed and Oil Conference
- The 2nd edition held in 2017 at Odesa, Ukraine.
- In 2018-19, globally the sunflower seed production is at 51.41 million tonnes.
- This edition held in 2015 in Shanghai, China.
- India is the largest importer of sunflower oil.
- It has an import of about 2.8 million tonnes.
- Globally the import is about 9.6 million tonnes.
- The sunflower oil is at 19.45 million tonnes.
- The sunflower meal is at 20.90 million tonnes.
10. Arinjeeta Dey won a silver medal for India in World Youth Cup 2019
Karate girl, Arinjeeta Dey (Barasat, West Bengal) won a silver medal under the 12 category in the World Youth Cup 2019.
- The competition was organized in Umag, Croatia (from July 1 to July 5, 2019).
- It was scheduled by World Karate Federation affiliated to the International Olympic Association.
- A total of 35 countries participated in this competition.
- She won 3 times in national championship junior level category (2017 KAI SUB Junior National gold medalist, 2018 KAI SUB Junior National gold medalist,2019 KAI SUB Junior National Gold and Silver Medalist).
- She is the president of Premjit Sen Martial Art Academy in West Bengal.
- She belongs from Barasat in West Bengal.
- She was a student of Hanshi Premjit Sen
- Capital: Zagreb
- Currency: Croatian Kuna
- President: Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovit
- Prime Minister: Andrej Plenkovit