1. 10 December as National De-worming Day
Every year on 10 February, National De-worming Day is observed.
- It is an action of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, to make every child of the country agricultural free.
- 241 million children between the ages of 1 and 14 years are at risk of parasitic intestinal worms in India, also known as Soil-Transmitted Helminths (STH) according to WHO.
- Helminths (insects) that are contaminated through the soil, which are contaminated with feces, are called soil-transmitted helminths (intestinal parasitic worms).
2. Disha Police Station introduced in Andhra Pradesh’s Rajamahendravaram
To address heinous crimes against women and children in Andhra Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jaganmohan Reddy addressed Disha police station in Rajamahendravaram city under Disha ACt state law.
- He also started the Disha app to help women in demonstrated and distress how women can send SOS through the app which will alert the nearest police vehicle.
- It is the first of 18 Disha police stations under the DISA Act to fast track crime prosecutions against women, with stringent punishment and other conclusive evidence for rape offenses.
- The investigation into cases of sexual offenses are to be completed within seven working days from the time of record under the law, and the trial must be concluded within 14 working days from the date of filing the charge sheet.
3. Army got indigenous Sharang artillery gun
The Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has handed over Sharang, the first 130mm M-46 artillery gun upgraded to 155mm to the Indian Army.
- It was formally handed over to the ongoing Dexpo by OFB President Hari Mohan to Army Chief General Manoj Narwane.
- The Army had issued the Request For Proposal (RFP) for both OFB and private industry in 2013.
4. Hyderabad Metro Rail displays second-largest metro network in India
Hyderabad Metro Rail has displayed the second-largest metro rail network in the country after Delhi with the launch of another 11-km stretch.
- Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrashekhar Rao flagged off of the metro train on Green Line stretch from Jubliee Bus Station (JBS) to Mahatma Gandhi Bus Station (MGBS), connecting the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad.
- Hyderabad Metro Rail, the world’s largest public-private partnership project, is now the second-largest operational metro network in the country covering 69.2 km.
- The opening of metro service on this stretch will facilitate the movement of commuters between the two largest and busiest Road Transport Corporation (RTC) bus stations in Telangana.
5. Meeting of BBIN Motor Vehicle Act operated in New Delhi
A meeting of Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal on the BBIN MVA (Motor Vehicle Act) was held in New Delhi.
- The Indian delegation was led by Vikram Doraiswami, Additional Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs.
- The meeting was held to discuss the passenger and cargo Protocols that are to give effect to the Motor Vehicles Agreement for the Regulation of Passenger, Personal and Cargo Vehicular Traffic between the four countries signed in 2015.
6. Armand Duplantis broke the Pole Vault World Record
Armand Duplantis has broke the world record in the pole vault with a jump of 20 feet 2 ¾ inches, or 6.17 meters.
- At an indoor meet in Torun, Poland, Duplantis edged by a centimeter the previous record set in 2014 by Renaud Lavillenie of France, the 2012 Olympic champion.
- He will represent Sweden, his mother’s home country, instead of the United States at the Olympics.
- Duplantis, known widely as Mondo, has already been selected to compete at the Tokyo Games.
7. Bangladesh defeats India to win maiden U19 Cricket World Cup title
Bangladesh beat India by three wickets to win maiden ICC U-19 World Cup title in Potchefstroom, South Africa by the Duckworth-Lewis method.
- Batting first, India were all out for 177 in 47.2 overs.
- In the semifinal, India defeated arch-rivals Pakistan by 10 wickets.
- India is unbeaten in the tournament so far, winning all five matches.
- First-time finalists Bangladesh beat South Africa and New Zealand in their journey to the finals.
8. Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre Red won first Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament
The Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre (LSRC) Red won the first Men’s section Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament 2020 by defeating Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) team.
- There are 13 teams that participated in the Khelo India Ice Hockey Championship.
- Around 6,800 athletes across 37 (states and union territories) teams competed in a total of 20 sports events.
- The third edition of the Khelo India Youth Games was successfully concluded in Assam last month.
- Khelo India is an initiative taken by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to aware people of the importance of sports and fitness.
9. Padma Shri awardee Giriraj Kishore passes away
Well-known Hindi novelist and Padma Shri awardee Giriraj Kishore passed away.
- Giriraj Kishore was best known for his novel ”Pehla Girmitiya” which was based on Mahatma Gandhi”s stay in South Africa.
- He was also conferred by the Vyas Samman in 2000, and an honorary Ph.D. by Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University in 2002.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India and was the recipient of the Sahitya Akademi award.