1. Francois Laborde conferred Frances highest civilian award
Father Francois Laborde, a 92-year-old priest, was conferred the Légion d’Honneur (Legion of Honour) of France. This is the highest civilian award. The award is to recognize his work for specially-abled children.
- He is the third person from the state to have been awarded the Legion of Honor after film maestro Satyajit Ray and actor Soumitra Chatterjee. He was entitled by the French Ambassador to India, Alexandre Ziegler.
- Father Laborde had set up Howrah South Point. It is an organization working for the development of specially-abled children, the destitute and the most deprived sections of the society.
2. Jharkhand okays to set up Tribal Commission Bill
Jharkhand Legislative Assembly passed Jharkhand State Scheduled Tribes Commission 2019 Bill with an amendment proposal brought by MLAs Radha Krishna Kishore, Shivshankar Oraon, Ram Kumar Pahan, and Laxman Tuddu.
- It has been stated that any person having knowledge about history, tradition, custom, and culture can be appointed as chairman, vice-chairman and three members of the commission.
- Kishore sought an amendment in the appointment process.
- The post of chairman, vice-chairman and three members of the commission should be reserved for scheduled tribes (ST), as any non-tribal person can have knowledge about history, culture, custom, and traditions of the tribals.”
- Kishore also stated that posts should be reserved for such tribal persons from birth follow the traditions, culture, and customs of scheduled tribes. Chief Minister Raghubar Das, who was present in the house, gave his approval for the amendment.
3. Macedonia signed an accord to join as a new member of NATO military alliance
Macedonia signed an accord to join NATO to become the 30th member of the NATO military alliance.
The historic agreement was signed between Macedonia’s Foreign Minister Nikola Dimitrov and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.
- Macedonia Capital – Skopje
- Currency – Macedonian Denar.
4. India Pavilion Inaugurated At 69th Berlin International Film Festival
India Pavilion at the Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) 2019 was inaugurated by Mr. Matthijis Wouter Knol, Director European Film Market (EFM).
- The poster of IFFI 2019 was also inaugurated by the dignitaries during the inaugural ceremony.
- Ministry of I&B, in collaboration with Confederation of Indian Industry, is participating in the Berlin International Film Festival being held from 7th – 17th February 2019 at Berlin, Germany.
5. GeM And CCI Sign MoU For Fair Environment In e-Marketplace
Government e Marketplace (GeM) and Competition Commission of India (CCI) entered into a MoU to enable a fair and competitive environment in the e-Marketplace.
- Chairman CCI, A.K. Gupta, CEO GeM, S. Radha Chauhan were present on the occasion.
- GeM is a state-of-the-art national public procurement platform of Ministry of Commerce and Industries, that has used technology to remove entry barriers for bonafide sellers and has created a vibrant e-marketplace with a wide range of goods and services.
6. RBI reduced the policy repo rate by 6.25 percent
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) reduced the policy repo rate by 25 basis points to 6.25% in a bid to revive economic growth as it projected retail inflation to remain below its target of 4% for the next 12 months.
- The rate reduction was the first since August 2017.
- The RBI also simultaneously changed the stance of the policy to ‘neutral’ from ‘calibrated tightening’, which indicates that the central bank remains ready to move in either direction based on incoming data.
7. Dinkar Gupta takes over charge of DGP Punjab
Dinkar Gupta is taken over the charge of Director General of the Punjab Police.
- He took over the charge as DGP from Suresh Arora yesterday at a simple ceremony at the Punjab Police headquarters at Chandigarh.
- They decided to provide a safe and secure environment to the citizens of the state while listing counter-terrorism as the top priority for the force.
- Declaring zero tolerance against drug abuse during his first meeting with officers, Dinkar Gupta said he would implement DAPO and Buddy programmes in letter and in spirit.
8. Karnataka Sahitya Academy awards announced
The Karnataka Sahitya Academy announced special awards for 2018 to five writers, B.A. Vivek Rai, H.S. Venkateshmurthy, Deshamsha Hudagi, Saisuthe, and A.K. Hamppanna, for their contribution to Kannada literature.
- It has also chosen 10 writers for Sahityasri Award 2018. The winners are K.C. Shivappa, Purushotham Bilimale, C.P. Siddashrama, Parvathi G. Ithal, G. Krishnappa, Satish Kulkarni, Rangaraja Vanadurga, Abdul G. Basheer, Gangaram Chandala, and H.L. Pushpa.
- The writers will be presented a cash prize of Rs.50,000 each, a citation and a certificate, the Sahityasri award winners would be given Rs.5,000 each, a citation and a certificate.
9. RBI imposed Rs.1 crore penalty on SBI
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed a fine of Rs.1 crore penalty State Bank of India (SBI). This penalty was levied as the lender violated the RBI norms. RBI levied the penalty in the exercise of powers conferred under Section 47 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 as SBI was not monitoring the end use of funds in respect of one of its borrowers.
- RBI “in the exercise of powers conferred under Section 47 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 has levied a penalty of Rupees one crore on the bank for not monitoring the end use of funds in respect of one of its borrowers,” SBI said in a regulatory filing.
- SBI, however, did not share details of the borrower and the loan amount given to the borrower.
10. India’s young paddlers secure four medals
In Table Tennis, India’s young paddlers clinching four medals include a gold, at the Bahrain Junior and Cadet Open tournament in Manama.
- Besides the gold, India won two silver and a bronze.
- In the final, the India-A team of Suhana Saini and Anargya Manjunath proved too strong for India-B and clinched the Gold.
- In the Junior girls’ competition, the Indian team of Manushree Patil and Swastika Ghosh beat three teams before losing to eventual champions Russia to settle for a Silver