1. Kyriakos Mitsotakis was sworn in as Greece’s Prime Minister
Greece’s new moderate Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis oath in after a sweeping election victory.
- He came to power on the promise of ending a decade of economic crisis battling his country’s economic crisis.
- This win came four years after Alexis Tsipras’s leftist Syriza party came to power.
- According to the official figures released, the Syrian city was second with 31.53%
- Capital: Athens
- Currency: Euro
2. Rahul Dravid elected as head of National Cricket Academy
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has been appointed former cricketer Rahul Dravid as the head of National Cricket Academy (NCA), Bengaluru.
- Dravid will oversee all the activities related to cricket in the NCA and he will be involved in advising, coaching, training and motivating players, coaches and support staff in the academy.
- The former cricketer is also the main coach of India Under-19 and India A team.
- NCA was founded in 2000 is a cricket facility of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for training young cricketers.
3. Uttarakhand listed among best performing states in ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ scheme
Uttarakhand is one of the country’s five best-performing states under the National Programme Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme.
- The main aim is to address declining child sex ratio and issues of women empowerment.
- As per the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development, the recognition for its consistent performance in respect of sex ratio at birth.
- Haryana has won three awards, which consist of consistent performance in connection with gender ratio (SRB) at birth at one state level and two district-level awards.
- The two districts of Haryana, Bhiwani, and Mahendragarh, won the awards.
- The state recognized its continuous performance in connection with gender equality at the time of birth.
4. World’s largest burn and plastic surgery institute inaugurated in Dhaka, Bangladesh
World’s largest burn and plastic surgery institute elected Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute.
- It started operating in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- The Outpatient Department (OPD) introduced by the Health and Family Welfare
- Minister of Bangladesh is Zahid Maleque.
About Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute
- There are about 6 lakh people suffer burn injuries in Bangladesh
- They will be profited from the institute.
- This institute promoted with a 500-bed hospital.
- There are around 50 ICU and 12 operation theatres
- They administer advanced treatment to burn patients in Bangladesh.
- The institute created at a cost of over 500 crores.
- The 12-story institute provide advanced treatment to burn patients physicians and nurses get training to enhance their professional skills
- The institute has 500 beds, 50 intensive care units, and 12 operation theatres,
- The institute has three blocks hosting the burn unit, plastic surgery unit and academic wing.
5. Vice President of India Venkaiah Naidu published a book titled Vivekadeepini
Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has published a book titled Vivekadeepini, a concise book of aphorisms. It was originally written by Adi Shankaracharya who is one of India’s greatest spiritual and literary geniuses.
- Vivekadeepini is a summary of Prashnottara Ratnamalika written by Adi Shankaracharya.
- The book has gathered a select 36 verses drawn from 67 verses of Prashnottara Ratnamalika. The verses are written in Question-Answer format. It contains universal truths and is the starting point for reflection.
Book in 10 languages:
The book has been translated into ten languages namely Bengali, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, English, Hindi, Marathi Gujarati, and Odia. It has revealed the glimpses of India’s wisdom in most lucid language.
- The Vice President in the book has stressed the need to create a society that actually demonstrates “share and care”, which was the core of Indian philosophy.
- Shankaracharya is an 8th century (788 AD) Indian philosopher and theologian. He is associated with Maya Theory, Advaita Vedanta (Non-Dualism), Tarak Brahma.
- His books are Bhashya- commentaries on Gita and other texts, Prakaran Granths.
- He founded Dashanami Sampradaya, Hindu monastic tradition of single-staff renunciation.
6. M Nageswar Rao elected as Director General of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard
The Central government elected M Nageswar Rao, Additional Director of CBI as the Director General of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard.
- He will proceed to hold the post till superannuation in July 2020.
- The Supreme Court organized Rao guilty of Contempt of Court for transferring the investigating officer heading the probe in Muzaffarpur.
- The government decided to remove former agency director Alok Verma and his deputy Rakesh Asthana.
- Mr. Rao has been appointed as the new CBI director by Rishi Kumar Shukla.
7. Brazil got the Copa America 2019 title
Brazil has won its first Copa America 2019 title since 2007. It defeated Peru and secured 3-1. The team already owns the fifth and ninth Copa América trophy. The event was hosted by Brazil.
- Everton was nominated a player of the final and also finished as one of the tournament’s top scorers with three goals. Dani Alves, Brazil’s right-back, was awarded the player of the tournament.
- The last time they won the Copa América was in 1989. Then it played against Uruguay at the Maracanã.
- Brazil’s only other title since 2007 came in the 2013 Confederations Cup.
About Copa America:
- It is the international men’s association football championship
- It is organized by South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).
- Number of teams:12 or 16
8. Rajya Sabha cleared the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 on 8 July
On 08th July, Rajya Sabha passed the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019. It supports the voluntary linking of the 12-digit identification number as part of knowing your customer (KYC) guidelines to open bank accounts or get a mobile connection. The bill will become a Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) law after the President’s approval.
- To amend the law, the authority responsible for issuing the Aadhaar number will be able to stop the misuse of the 12 digit identification number by the Aadhar. A holder can now choose the option of offline verification via QR code with consent.
- No person can be compelled to go through the certification to prove the possession of the Aadhaar number or to establish his identity unless it is provided by law made by Parliament.
- After the Supreme Court’s decision in September, the cost of e-KYC verification for banks, financial technology companies, and telecom service providers had increased significantly, that the use of the base can be used only in direct benefit transfer for welfare schemes.
Provisions under the Bill:
- UIDAI can impose a penalty of up to ₹1 crore if an entity fails to comply with the Aadhaar law and does not provide the information sought by UIDAI.
- UIDAI has given an option to children to cancel their Aadhaar on attaining 18 years.
- Also, an entity is given a provision to create a UIDAI Fund, which will contain all fees, grants, and charges received by the authority. The fund will be used for UIDAI’s expenses
Considering the privacy concerns, SC said that it was not mandatory for customers to link their Aadhaar number with their respective bank accounts or mobile phone numbers in September 2018.
The Centre has brought in an ordinance to amend three laws in February. The laws are:
- Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016
- Indian Telegraph Act, 1885
- Prevention of Money-laundering Act, 2002
- The ordinance was passed to enable the government’s decision for voluntary use of Aadhaar for fulfilling KYC norms.
9. Budj Bim Cultural Landscape listed in UNESCO’s World Heritage list
In south-west Victoria, the Budj Bim Cultural Landscape has received UNESCO’s World heritage list. It is the first in Australia to be on the list. UNESCO’s decision recognizes Budj Bim’s significance to all of humanity. Budj Bim is the 20th site in Australia to make it on to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Budj Bim Cultural Landscape:
- The landscape is characterized for its Aboriginal cultural importance after a decades-long campaign run by traditional owners, some of whom were present for the decision.
- It is respected as one of the oldest aquaculture sites in the world. More than a decade of fervent lobbying, the Budj Bim Cultural Landscape has finally been added to the UNESCO World Heritage List. The landscape was cared for over 6,600 years and is important to the Gunditjmara People.
- There are also remains of about 300 stone huts. These are the only remaining permanent houses built by an indigenous community in Australia. It challenges the common perception that all Aboriginal people were nomadic.
Other Australian Heritage sites:
The Great Barrier Reef, Kakadu National Park, the Sydney Opera House, Carlton Gardens, Gondwana Rainforests, Jenolan Caves, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Shark Bay, Fraser Island, Willandra Lakes Region, Lord Howe Island, Macquarie Island are some among the heritage sites.
10. Vinesh Phogat got a gold medal in the 53 kg category at the Grand Prix of Spain 2019
India’s top wrestler Vinesh Phogat gained her first gold medal after shifting to 53kg category and Divya Kakran claimed the top honors in the 68kg category at the Grand Prix of Spain 2019 at Madrid, Spain.
- In the championship, India finished second with 130 points in team championship behind Russia which secured 165.
- Vinesh beat Dutch rival Jessica Blaszka at the finals. She is one of India’s medal hopefuls at the 2020 Tokyo Games.
- She acheive the gold medal at the Jakarta Asian Games. Vinesh competed in Asian Championship and won bronze. She played in Dan Kolov and won silver respectively in the 53kg category.
11. ‘Gully Boy’ won the NETPAC Award at BIFAN in South Korea
Indian film ‘Gully Boy’ identified at the Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN) in South Korea.
- The film was honoured with NETPAC Award for Best Asian Film directed by Zoya Akhtar.
- ‘Gully Boy’ is motivated by the lives of Mumbai street rappers Vivian Fernandes aka Divine and Naved Shaikh aka Naezy.