1. Vodafone Idea plans to invest about Rs.20,000 crore in networks
Vodafone Idea announced that the company is planning to invest about Rs.20,000 crore in networks over the next 15 months. It has given capital expenditure (capex) of Rs.270 billion for financial years 2019 and 2020, combined together. Out of that, about Rs.70 billion has been spent in the first nine months.
- In the next 15 months, it expects a capex deployment of Rs.200 billion.
- The capex guidance of Rs.27,000 crore did not include capacity that would be created by reusing equipment from the synergy of operations between Vodafone and Idea.
2. Tangedcos loss rose to Rs.7,582.56 crore in last year
India Ratings and Research reported that the Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Limited (Tangedco) has a widened loss in the financial year 2018 to Rs.7,582.56 crore from Rs.6,141.54 crore in the financial year 2017. Lower sale of power, drop in collection efficiency and higher cost of power led to the higher losses.
- The financials sourced from Tangedco by India Ratings showed that the discom’s revenue from the sale of power declined 0.63% to Rs.43686.77 crore in FY18 from the previous year. Sale of power accounts for 78% of Tangedco’s total income.
- Tangedco’s operating earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA) were negative Rs.607 crore in FY18, compared a positive level of Rs.2,325 crore in FY17.
3. AMAN 19, the multinational maritime exercise held at Karachi
The 5-day multinational maritime exercise ‘AMAN-19’ was held at Pakistan Navy Dockyard, Karachi. In this multinational maritime exercise. 46 nations participated from all over the world.
The aim to conduct this exercise is to facilitate a forum of understanding of each other’s maritime concepts and operation cultures and to produce ways and means to confront common threat at sea.
- Capital: Islamabad
- PM: Imran Khan
- President: Arif Alvi
4. Hirkani Maharashtrachi scheme was launched in Maharashtra
Union Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu launched the Hirkani Maharashtrachi scheme to provide a platform for women’s Self Help Groups (SHGs) and the District Business Plan Competition to boost entrepreneurship in Maharashtra.
- The Maharashtra State Innovation Society (MSInS), which comes under the State departments of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, will execute the project with support from officials in the districts.
- Under the Hirkani Maharashtrachi scheme, women’s SHGs will pitch their business plan at the taluka level. Ten groups will be selected from each taluka and Rs.50,000 will be given to each SHG to implement their idea. Five SHGs at the district level will be selected and Rs.2 lakh will be given to each SHG to take their ideas forward.
5. Mukesh Ambani tops Hurun India Philanthropy list 2018
Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani and also richest person in Asia topped the Hurun India Philanthropy list with a donation amount of 437 crores.
Mukesh Ambani is followed by the chairman of the Piramal Group, Ajay Piramal who donated 200 crores.
Top 10 list of Hurun India Philanthropy list:
6. Sanjay Kumar Verma concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Marshall Islands
Shri Sanjay Kumar Verma(IFS: 1998), presently Ambassador of India to Japan, concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Marshall Islands, with residence in Tokyo.
About Republic of Marshall Islands
- President – Hilda Heine
- Capital – Majuro
- Currency – US Dollar
- Prime Minister – Shinzo Abe
- Capital – Tokyo
- Currency – Japanese Yen
7. India celebrated National Deworming day on 10th February
India celebrated the National Deworming day on 10th February. The National Deworming Day (NDD) is an initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- The objective of National Deworming Day is to deworm all preschool and school-age children between the ages of 1-19 years through the platform of schools and Anganwadi Centers in order to improve their overall health, nutritional status, access to education and quality of life.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 241 million children between the ages of 1 and 14 years are at risk of parasitic intestinal worms in India, also known as Soil-Transmitted Helminths (STH).
8. Ladakh declared Jammu & Kashmir’s third administrative division
The Jammu & Kashmir Government on Friday declared Ladakh as the third administrative division of the state. An order issued by Governor Satya Pal Malik‘s administration said, “The Government has approved the creation of a separated administrative/revenue division of Ladakh”.
The division will comprise Leh and Kargil districts, with Leh as the division’s headquarters
Ladakh is one of the most sparsely populated regions in Jammu & Kashmir and the highest plateau in the state, most of it being over 9.800 ft above sea level. The region is geographically isolated and remains landlocked for nearly 6 months in a year.
9. Law, Justice and Judicial Power Justice P N Bhagwati Approach Book Launched
The book “Law, Justice and Judicial Power – Justice P N Bhagwati’s Approach” written by Mool Chand Sharma was launched by the Chief Justice of India, Shri Justice Ranjan Gogoi.
- The first edition of the book was received by President Ramnath Govind.
- The President said that justice is not an absolute and justice is not a constant. The very definition of justice, as well as the roads by which justice is reached, have evolved and grown through the course of human history. Over three decades ago, Justice Bhagwati and his generation of jurists spread the horizons of justice. Today, at our stage of development, there are new challenges in the realization of social and economic justice, and of climate and technology justice.
10. World Pulses Day celebrated on 10th February
February 10, 2019, was the first-ever World Pulses Day, a United Nations global event to celebrate pulses worldwide and continue the important gains made with the 2016 International Year of Pulses.
- The aim is to celebrate, raise awareness and promote the consumption of pulses at events around the globe.
- “Large focus on product development and on innovative applications of our pea fractions are of key importance at AM Nutrition. We continuously work on innovative solutions for our customers, and we feel highly motivated to further explore the great potential of our pea concentrates in all market segments”, remarks Laura Gil Martens, R&D Manager at AM Nutrition.