1. Nicolas Maduro sworn in as Venezuela Prez for 2nd term amid the economic crisis
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro started a second term in office on January 10, 2019, amid the economic and humanitarian crisis faced by the Latin American country.
- Maduro was re-elected last year amid allegation of vote buying and electoral fraud.
- The US, EU and 13 other countries have said that they would not recognise Maduro’s Presidency.
2. Novak Djokovic and Simona Halep were named top seeds for Australian Open
The Serbian tennis player, Novak Djokovic and Simona Halep, the Romanian tennis player, were named top seeds for next week’s Australian Open.
- Djokovic heads Rafael Nadal and defending champion Roger Federer.
- Halep takes the top seeding among the women courtesy of her world number one ranking, but she enters the tournament with only one match in four months under her belt after an injury lay-off
3. PM Modi launched project connecting Ganga to Agra
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched a series of development projects worth Rs. 2900 Crores for the Agra city and the adjoining areas.
- The Prime Minister dedicated to the nation, Gangajal project, which will provide Agra with better and more assured water supply, at an estimated cost of Rs.2880 crores.
- Gangajal project aims to bring 140 cu secs of Ganga water to Agra. This will help meet the drinking water demands in the city.
4. Gangavaram circle police received the Award for the Best Crime Detection for 2018
The Gangavaram circle police of Chittoor district, Andhra Pradesh, received the Award for the Best Crime Detection (ABCD) for 2018 from the Chief Secretary Anil Chandra Punetha and Director General of Police R.P. Thakur in Vijayawada.
- The award was conferred on the circle personnel for solving the gold theft case that took place under the Bangarupalem station limits on December 8 last.
- Within a week, special parties formed by Superintendent of Police (SP) Vikrant Patil zeroed in on the Maharashtra gang and nabbed five accused, besides recovering 4.3 kg of gold out of the 5.75 kg gold lifted by the gang from two executives of a Mumbai gold dealer.
5. Alok Verma appointed as Director General, Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guards
The Cabinet Committee on Appointments has now posted Alok Verma as Director-General, Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guards, for the remaining period of his present term that ends on January 31.
- He has been removed as CBI Director and the Additional Director M. Nageswara Rao has again been appointed interim CBI Director.
- The CVC was of the view that Mr.Verma’s conduct in the case was suspicious, and there was a prima facie case against him. It also felt that the entire truth would come out if a criminal investigation was ordered.
6. Japan’s passport ranked world’s most powerful, India’s 79th
According to the Henley Passport Index, Japan has retained its top spot as the world’s most powerful passport this year, with its citizens able to enter 190 countries without requiring a visa.
- India’s passport was ranked 79th, having visa-free access to 61 destinations.
- Singapore and South Korea come second with access to 189 countries each while France and Germany share the third spot with access to 188 countries each.
7. India’s Mary Kom became the world’s top woman boxer
Mary Kom, who had become the first ever woman boxer to win six world championship titles in November last year, has been ranked number one by the International Boxing Association (AIBA) in the light fly (45-48kg) category.
- The 35-year-old tops her weight division with 1700 points.
- Ukraine’s 22-year-old boxer Hanna Okhota is ranked second, with 1100 points.
8. Malala Yousafzai has written a new book titled We are Displaced
Malala Yousafzai, the Nobel Peace Prize winner and Pakistani activist, has written a new book, titled We are Displaced, charting her experiences traveling the world and visiting refugee camps.
- Publishers Weidenfeld & Nicolson and Hachette India said that her travels through the refugee camps led her to reconsider her own displacement.
- In We are Displaced, Malala not only explores her own story of adjusting to a new life while longing for home, but she also shares the personal stories of some of the incredible girls she has met on her various journeys, girls who have lost their community, relatives and often the only world they’ve ever known.
9. Ex-Hotstar CEO Ajit Mohan officially joined Facebook India as VP and MD
Ajit Mohan officially took over as Facebook India’s new Vice President and MD.
He succeeded Umang Bedi who left the post on October 2017.
10. Sheila Dikshit appointed as Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee chief
Congress chief Rahul Gandhi appointed Sheila Dikshit, former Chief Minister as the Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee chief. This move is after the resignation of Ajay Maken from the post citing ill health.
- Sheila Dikshit will be assisted by three working presidents, Devender Yadav, Haroon Yusuf, and Rajesh Lilotia.
- She was the longest serving Chief Minister of Delhi who served for a period of 15 years from 1998 to 2013. Dikshit led Congress party to three consecutive electoral victories in Delhi.