1. According to Supreme Court, Access to Internet is a fundamental right
The Supreme Court has declared access to the internet a fundamental right.
- The government cannot deprive citizens of fundamental rights except under certain conditions explicitly mentioned in the Constitution.
- The verdict was given after hearing a petition regarding internet blockade in Jammu and Kashmir from August 5 in view of the repeal of Section 370 in the Union Territory.
- Indian constitution makes the right to freedom of speech and expression a fundamental right for all citizens. It was listed in Article 19 (1)(a) of the Constitution.
2. Andhra Pradesh Government signed MoU with German firm KFW for Zero Budget Natural Farming
The Andhra Pradesh Government engaged a Memorandum of Understanding with the representatives of a German firm, KFW for `Zero Budget Natural Farming’ (ZBNF).
- As part of the agreement that intends to scale up the ongoing project with the German firm, the government has taken a loan of Rs 711 crores out of the estimated amount of Rs 1015 crore earmarked to be spent towards the climate-resilient, ZBNF.
- As part of an agreement with the German firm to scale up the ongoing project, the government has taken a loan of Rs 711 crore out of an estimated amount of Rs 1015 crore, which is the amount to be spent for climate-resilient, ZBNF.
- The YS Jaganmohan Reddy led-State government will spend Rs 304 crore on a project which is aimed to cover 2.39 lakh farmers in around 600 village panchayats and promote natural farming.
3. SBI lowered GDP estimates to 4.6% in FY20 from 5%
The SBI has lowered the economic growth forecast to 4.6% from the earlier 5%.
- The latest SBI Ecowrap report even predicted growth rate to remain below 6 percent for the two years in a row.
- The SBI Research Desk stated that factors like government expenditure are the key factors in determining the overall growth outlook for FY20.
4. Hudco elects M Nagaraj as Chairman, Managing Director
M Nagaraj has been appointed the company’s Chairman and Managing Director, said by State-owned Housing and Urban Development Corporation (Hudco).
- He is also Director (Corporate Planning) of the company
- He has experience of around 28 years in a multitude of sectors such as infrastructure finance, housing, skill development and microfinance in the social sector, and international trading.
- Hudco grants loans for housing and urban infrastructure projects.
5. Sakthivel appointed as AEPC India Chairman
Apparel Export Promotion Council of India (AEPC) said it has appointed A Sakthivel as the new chairman of the organization.
- Sakthivel said the industry was struggling to survive and export growth was steady.
- Along with some exporters, Sakthivel had founded Tirupur Exporters Association in 1990.
6. Power Ministry published the 2019 State Energy Efficiency Index
State Energy Efficiency Index 2019 has been released by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) in association with Alliance for Energy-Efficient Economy. The index used 97 significant indicators and tracked the progress of Energy Efficiency (EE) initiatives in 36 states and union territories (UTs).
State Energy Efficiency Index 2019:
- The index proved that a majority of the initiatives taken by states are on the Policies and Regulations front.
- State Energy Efficiency Index classified states as four types based on their efforts and achievements towards energy efficiency implementation. They are Front Runner, Contender, Achiever, and Aspirant.
- In the Achiever Category Haryana, Kerala and Karnataka secured the top position.
7. Uttar Pradesh to set up a zoo named after Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan
Uttar Pradesh State government is ready to set up a zoological garden in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh. The zoo is to be named after the socialist and freedom fighter Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan.
About UP’s new zoological garden:
- The zoological garden will be spread across 121 acres in Gorakhpur
- The state government has set aside Rs.234 crore to set up the zoological garden
8. Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly affirmed a new logo
On 9 January, the Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly (APLA) has adopted a new logo. The logo echoes the distinct identity and culture of the state.
- The new logo includes the national symbol and state flower foxtail orchid, Rhinocostylis Retusa.
- The national emblem in the logo means the federal system of the Indian Constitution
- The flower foxtail orchid symbolizes the state, its people and culture of the state
- The blue color of the logo expresses the autonomy of the assembly secretariat.