1. Shailesh Sadashiv Tinaikar elected his office as the Force Commander of UNMISS
Lieutenant General Shailesh Sadashiv Tinaikar is newly selected as the Force Commander of the UN mission in South Sudan. He collected charge in Juba on July 6. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announced his appointment in May.
- Tinaikar has a long and illustrious career with the Indian Army spanning over three decades. He graduated from the Indian Military Academy in 1983. He did his Master of Philosophy (M Phil) in Defence and Strategic Studies from The University of Madras, India. He awarded in December 2014.
- He worked in the United Nations Angola Verification Mission III from 1996 to 1997. He worked in the United Nations Mission in Sudan from 2008 to 2009. He has worked as the Additional Director General of Military Operations at Army Headquarters from 2017 to 2018.
- He has been awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal and the Sena Medal for his Distinguished Service. India is the second highest troop contributor to UNMISS, as of March 2019. India contributed with 2,337 troops deployed with the mission.
United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS):
- Formed on: 9 July 2011
- Headquarters: Juba, South Sudan
- Head: David Shearer
UNMISS is the United Nations’s newest peacekeeping mission for the recently independent South Sudan. The unit became independent on 9 July 2011.
2. MS Dhoni shifted the only second Indian player to reach the 350-game mark in ODI
MS Dhoni shifted the only second Indian player to reach the 350-game mark in One-Day International cricket (ODI). The first Indian to set the record was Sachin Tendulkar.
- He was tagged as one of the best finishers in the sport. Dhoni led India from 2007 to 2017. Under Dhoni’s captaincy won its second championship in the cricket world cup. He also led India to No. 1 position in the ICC Rankings.
- He is considered as one of the greatest captains in the world of cricket. MS Dhoni is the only skipper to have won every major ICC tournament. The former Indian captain is also the first wicketkeeper to play in 350 ODI matches.
- He is also the first captain in the world to win three different ICC trophies. Dhoni also led India to a memorable 2013 Champions Trophy triumph in England.
- Dhoni had played an integral part in many of India’s famous victories in his more than 14-years of an international career.
3. LinkedIn selected Ashutosh Gupta as country manager for India
LinkedIn elected Ashutosh Gupta as its new country manager for India effective September 2, 2019.
- He will succeed Mahesh Narayanan
- He was the country manager for India from January to June 2019.
- Gupta followed LinkedIn as the head of Marketing Solutions (LMS) business in 2013.
- He moved to Singapore to build LMS’ Online Sales Organisation (OSO) for the Asia Pacific(APAC) and China.
- He will report to Olivier Legrand, LinkedIn’s Managing Director(MD) for the APAC and he will continue to lead the LMS’s OSO.
- He is an alumnus of IIM-Lucknow and IIT (BHU), Varanasi worked in organizations like Google, Cognizant, and Infosys.
- The two decades of experience on the internet and IT and software services industries
- Microsoft-owned LinkedIn over 630 million users globally more than 57 million members in India.
- CEO: Jeff Weiner
- Founded: 2002
- Headquarters: Sunnyvale, California, United States
4. India will host 14th Conference of Parties
India is ready to host the 14th Conference of the Parties (COP) from September 02 to 13
- It is confirmed by Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar.
- The global conference will be hosted at India Expo Mart Limited in Greater Noida.
- As many as 197 countries are expected to participate in the conference.
5. Sharjah originates its first Golden card visa to an Indian Lalu Samuel, Chairman of Kingston Holdings
- General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs of Sharjah conceded the first golden card visa to an Indian expat businessman, Lalu Samuel, Chairman and Managing Director of Kingston Holdings and Chairman of Sharjah Industry Business Group.
- The 10-year visa is a part of the long-term permanent residency system tailored for investors and entrepreneurs aims to attract capital, investments, and owners of leading companies, professionals, researchers and students to engage them in the renaissance and development of the UAE.
- The golden cardholders are entitled to have the privileges and facilities including a residency visa without a sponsor to them and their families.
It also allows the visa holder to sponsor up to 3 workers and obtain a residency visa for one of his/her senior employees.
About Visa Card
- Industry: Financial services
- Founded: 1958
- Founder: Dee Hock
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Currency: United Arab Emirates Dirham
- Prime Minister: Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
6. According to CBRE, Connaught Place 9th most expensive office location in the world
New Delhi’s Connaught Place (CP) is the ninth most expensive office location in the world according to property consultant CBRE.
- CP, located in the heart of the national capital, was at the ninth position even last year.
- In its annual Global Prime Office Occupancy Costs survey, CBRE tracks the cost of leasing prime office space globally.
- Mumbai’s Bandra Kurla Complex and Nariman Point CBD slipped to 27th and 40th positions, respectively.
- Hong Kong’s Central district retained the top spot as the world’s most expensive market for prime office rents.
7. Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship: India won 13 medals in CWG
India gained 13 medals on the opening day of the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship
- The event is held in Apia, Samoa.
- The medals comprised 8 Gold, 3 silver and 2 Bronze.
- Mirabai Chanu led the Indian medal rush in the senior women’s 49 kg event
- She got the gold medal in the Olympic qualifying event.
- She heaved a total of 191 kg.
- Jhilli Dalabehera got the first place on the podium. She made a lift of 154 kg in the senior women’s 45 kg
- In the senior men’s 55kg category, Rishikanta Singh won the gold of 235 kg.
About Commonwealth Games – History
- Commonwealth Games are an international sports event involving athletes from the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The event was first held in 1930.
- It places every four years.
- The Commonwealth Games are known as the British Empire Games from 1930 to 1950.
- The British Empire and Commonwealth Games from 1954 to 1966 and British Commonwealth Games from 1970 to 1974.
- It is the world’s first multi-sport event inducted an equal number of women’s and men’s medal events and implemented recently in the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
8. Madhya Pradesh is ready to produce its own seeds brand ‘Shaej-Beej’
The Madhya Pradesh State Cooperative Seed Federation will produce high-quality seed.
- The brand name of seeds will be ‘Sah-Beej’.
- A plan has been made to produce seeds from the next Rabi season.
- A large number of seed committees present in the state, which will be linked to the seed federation and these committees will help in the marketing of seeds.
9. MoFCC launches Immunocontraception Project
Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has launched a project for undertaking ‘immunocontraceptive measures’
- It is used for population management of 4 species of wild animals namely Wild boar, Monkeys, Elephant and Blue Bull (Nilgai).
- Human-elephant caused the maximum number of casualties.
- Between 2014 and March 2019, around 2,398 people died in an elephant attack in the country.
West Bengal has a maximum number of such deaths.
10. Sunil Chhetri and Ashalata Devi got top fame in AIFF awards
Indian men’s footballer Sunil Chhetri and women’s footballer Ashalata Devi won the biggest prizes in their respective categories as the All India Football Federation (AIFF) announced awards for the 2018-19 season.
- Chhetri was declared as the men’s footballer of the year whereas in the women’s category Devi was announced as the footballer of the year
- This is the third consecutive footballer of the year win for Chhetri and his seventh renown in men’s category.
- Chhetri recently exceeded Argentine striker Lionel Messi to become the second highest active goal-scorer in international football.
- Chhetri scored a brace against Tajikistan in Intercontinental Cup to take his goal tally to 70.