1. International Girl Child Day is Celebrated on 11 October
International Girl Child Day is globally observed on 11 October every year. The purpose of the day is to meet the needs and challenges facing girls. It also aims to empower girls and promote their human rights.
The theme for the year 2019 is Girl Force: Unscripted and Unstoppable.
In 1995, the 4th World Conference on Women was kept in Beijing, China. The conference set out to recognize the rights of women and girls as human rights. It adopted the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action which is the most comprehensive policy agenda for women’s empowerment.
On 19 December 2011, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted a resolution 66/170 to declare 11 October as the International Day of the Girl Child. The resolution recognized girl’s rights and the challenges that girls face around the world. The first International Day of the Girl Child was observed on 11 October 2012 with the theme Ending Child Marriage.
2. 11 October as World Obesity Day
Every year, World Obesity Day is observed globally on 11 October. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness about the prevalence, severity and diversity of weight stigma. Obesity often reinforces false and negative stereotypes about weight that can lead to weight stigma.
World Obesity Day was started in the year 2015 by the World Obesity Federation. The annual campaign aims to encourage and support practical actions that will help people gain and maintain healthy weight and overcome the global obesity crisis.
Obesity is a disease in which there is an excess quantity of body fat. Medical problems increase the risk of causing other diseases and health problems like heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and cancer.
3. PM issued a commemorative stamp to honour Marshal IAF Arjan Singh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has released a commemorative stamp to honour the birth centenary of Marshal of the Air Force late Arjan Singh on its 87th raising day at the home programme of the IAF. The stamp is released as a tribute to his exemplary service to the nation.
Marshal of the Air Force late Arjan Singh:
Marshal of the Air Force late Arjan Singh was born on 15 April 1919. He was the first and only officer of the Indian Air Force (IAF) to be promoted to 5-star rank as Marshal of IAF.
- He served at various positions including Chief of the Air Staff.
- He has received many awards including General Service Medal 1947, Samar Seva Star, Raksha Medal, Sainya Seva Medal, Indian Independence Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross, 1939–1945 Star, Burma Star, War Medal 1939–1945, India Service Medal. He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, the highest civilian award, in 1965.
4. Pakistan PM Imran Khan named as 2020 Muslim Man of the Year
Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has been declared as Muslim Man of the Year 2020 by Jordan’s Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre (RISSC). He has won the title in the recent list of the most persuasive Muslims in the world issued by the Centre.
- He has also become the 6th most popular world leader on Twitter with 10.5 million followers on the social media platform.
- The RISSC has also declared Rashida Tlaib as Muslim Woman of the Year 2020. She is an American Congresswoman.
5. Government plans to create a 1400km long and 5km wide green belt
The government has stated its plan to create a 1400km-long and 5km wide green belt from Gujarat to the Delhi-Haryana border. The massive afforestation drive in northwest India is similar to the Great Green Wall that runs from Dakar in Senegal to Djibouti.
Environmentalists fought against authorities for cutting down hundreds of trees in Mumbai. Farmers and other private landholders would play the most crucial part of the afforestation program.
The move aims to boost India’s action against climate change. The wall will help combat the growing challenge of land degradation across the Thar desert and the Aravalis.
6. Cultsport sportswear elected Jasprit Bumrah as brand ambassador
Cure.fit, an integrated health and wellness start-up, has appointed Indian pacer Jasprit Bumrah as the brand ambassador for its premium sportswear brand, cultsport.
Cure.fit brand offers apparel that are made with high quality fabric blended with the latest technology to enable an athletic lifestyle. The company features the custom designed collections like Vitals, Code, Signature, the t-shirts have an easy, relaxed fit etc. The cultsport premium sportswear is distributed through the cure.fit app, and e-commerce partnerships with the likes of Myntra and, Flipkart.
7. World Sight Day 2019 observed on 10 October 2019
Every year, on 10 October, World Sight Day 2019 is observed. The purpose of the day is to create awareness to focus global attention on blindness and vision loss.
World Health Organization (WHO) has launched the first World report on vision on 8 October 2019.
- The report states that more than 1 billion people are living with vision loss due to short and far-sightedness, cataracts and lack of necessary care for conditions such as cataracts.
- Also, it said that the change in lifestyles and limited access to eye care are the major cause of visual impairment, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
- Other mains reasons are Diabetic retinopathy, Myopia (near-sightedness), Late detection.
8. President Kovind presents Presidents Colours to the Army Aviation Corps
President Ram Nath Kovind has presented the prestigious President’s Colours to the Army Aviation Corps at Nashik, Maharashtra. The President’s Colours acknowledges the meritorious service rendered by the Army Aviation Corps over the years.
The honour represents the visible symbol of excellence and has earned by the Army Aviation Corps through dedication and worthy contribution both during war and peace.
9. Indian scientists searched Plastic eating Bacteria
Researchers at Shiv Nadar University have discovered two strains of plastic-eating bacteria from the wetlands of Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh. It is believed that this eco-friendly alternative might be used as a clean-up method for plastic waste worldwide.
The bacteria have the potential to decompose polystyrene, a key component in Single-Use Plastic (SUP) items such as disposable cups, cutlery, toys, packaging materials etc. Polystyrene, a type of plastic, is quite resistant to degrade due to its high molecular weight and long-chain polymer structure.
The name of the species are
- Exiguobacterium sibiricum strain DR11
- Exiguobacterium undae strain DR14