1. Canada to ban single use plastics from 2021
Canada ban single-use plastics from the year 2021
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau planned to ban plastic bottles, straws and plastic bags clogging the world’s oceans.
- Canada to lead to fighting against plastic pollution as the country with the world’s longest coastline.
- Currently, 10 percent of plastics are recycled.
- A million birds and more than 100,000 marine mammals worldwide suffer injury or death through the food chain Plastic Straws, plastic bags, cutlery, plates among the items.
- Around 180 countries reached a deal to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in the world’s oceans.
- Marine animals can become entangled in larger plastics – particularly cord, nets, and ropes from fishing.
- Canadian government planned to decide single-use plastic products included the ban of plastic bags, straws, cutlery, plates, and stir sticks.
- Around 3m tonnes of plastic waste thrown away each year in Canada.
- Capital: Ottawa
- Governor General: Julie Payette
- Prime Minister: Justin Trudeau
2. India unfurls debut flag in #WorldRaftingChampionship
India is making her mark in the sports universe with young and enthusiastic sportsmen. Now India is making debut in the adventurous game of Rafting.
- For the 1st time ever, Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports’ team played in World Rafting Championship which is taking place in Tuncelli.
- In this championship, there are 20 teams from 20 countries are challenging for the title.
- Ahead of this championship, President of Turkish Rafting Federation Fikret Yadimei has expressed his excitement over hosting the World Rafting Championship.
3. NCGG and Maldives Civil Services Commission sign MOU
National Center for Good Governance (NCGG) signed an MOU with Maldives Civil Services Commission building of 1000 Maldives civil servants for the next 5 years.
About the Agreement
The agreement signed during the visit of the Prime Minister of India. It is the nodal institution for designing customized training modules and its implementation taking into account the requirements of the Civil Service Commission, Maldives. The program includes public administration, e-governance, service, public policy governance, information technology, best practices in fisheries across coastal areas, agro-based practices, self-help group initiatives, urban development and planning, ethics in administration and challenges in the implementation of SDGs. The Maldives nominates suitable civil servants in the senior/ executive/ middle management levels as per agreed timelines.
The Maldives planning to develop training programs and materials, assist in organizing the exchange of experts as needed by the Civil Services Commission.
- Director and Secretary general of NCGG is Shri E .V Eapen
- They trained 28 Maldives Civil Servants in April 2019 and encouraged the two countries to take the collaboration forward. NCGG successfully conducted training programs for civil servants of Bangladesh, Myanmar, the Gambia and Maldives.
- It is an autonomous institute under the aegis of the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, Government of India.
- Its head office is in New Delhi and registered office at Mussoorie.
- They planned to carry out policy-relevant research and prepare case studies; curate training courses for civil servants from India and other developing countries.
- They provide a platform for sharing of existing knowledge and proactively seek out and develop ideas for their implementation.
4. Lewis Hamilton Won Canadian Grand Prix 2019
Lewis Hamilton won Canadian Grand Prix, the world of Formula One championship title 2019.
Lewis Hamilton, Robert Kubica and Daniel Ricciardo players who played various matches in championship and considered as star players.
- Hamilton won 78th career win in Formula One.
- He also fifth out of the seven races contested this season
- He secured the seventh win at the 2019 Canadian Grand Prix and defeated Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
About Canadian Grand Prix
- Canadian Grand Prix is an annual auto race held in Canada since 1961. It is a part of the Formula One World Championship since 1967
- First held: 1961
- Number of times held: 56
- Most wins: Germany Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton
About Lewis Hamilton
- Nationality: United Kingdom
- Entries: 236
- Championships: 5 (2008, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018)
- Win: 78
5. ASI declares Chaukhandi Stupa as of national important monument
Chaukhandi Stupa, an ancient Buddhist site located in Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh, has been declared as a Monument and protected area of national importance by Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
- Chaukhandi Stupa is a lofty mound of brick whose square edifice is surrounded by an octagonal tower. It was built to mark the place where Lord Buddha met his first disciples as he traveled from Bodhgaya to Sarnath.
- The Chaukhandi Stupa is said to be originally a terraced temple during the Gupta period, that 4th to 6th Century.
- Govardhan, the son of Raja Todarmal gave the present shape to the Chaukhandi Stupa. He built an octagonal tower to commemorate the visit of Humayun, the great Mughal ruler.
Archaeological Survey of India (ASI):
- ASI was formed in 1861, headquartered at New Delhi, India. ASI is the premier organization for the archaeological researches and protection of the cultural heritage in India. It functions under the Ministry of Culture.
- ASI is responsible for the regulation of all archaeological activities in the country as per the provisions of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958 and Antiquities and Art Treasure Act,1972.
6. State Bank of India introduces Repo Rate-Linked Home Loan
State Bank of India introduced repo rate-linked home loans.
SBI, the country’s largest bank by assets home loans linked to the repo rate from July 1, 2019.
- Key interest rate reduced to 5.75
- Repo rate-linked home loan will make changes in the key interest rate by the central bank would be passed on directly to the customers.
- Interest rates applicable to regular home loans are decided by the commercial banks on a time basis.
- The Reserve Bank of India on several occasions in the past few months urged the commercial banks to transmit the rate cuts to the public.
- State Bank of India benefit from the latest reduction in the repo rate has been passed fully to cash credit account and overdraft customers with limits of over Rs. 1 lakh.
- After the move, the effective repo-linked lending rate (RLLR) for a cash credit and overdraft customers will be 8 percent. These changes will also take effect on July 1.
- The Reserve Bank of India’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC)lowered the repo rate by 25 basis points and switched to an “accommodative” stance from “neutral”.
- The decision by the RBI to ease the monetary policy follows official data last month showing India lost its status as the fastest growing major economy to China.
- RBI reduced the repo rate each in its policy reviews in February and April.
- SBI has a share of around 35 percent in home loans and auto loans.
7. India’s First Dinosaur Museum Park inaugurated in Gujarat
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani inaugurated India’s first Dinosaur-Museum-cum-Park in the Mahisagar district.
- It is set to give visitors a Jurassic Park kind of feel.
- The museum is located in Raiyoli area in Balasinor exhibit remains of various dinosaurs and fossil records.
- Dinosaur Museum cum Park is the first park in the country and the world’s third park.
- Raiyoli area is the third largest dinosaur fossil site in the world and it is also the second largest dinosaur hatchery in the world, where thousands of eggs had been found.
- It is equipped with modern technology like 3D projection, virtual reality presentations, interactive kiosks, and life-size dinosaur replicas.
- It has a total land area of 2.63 hectares. It is famous for displaying the evolution of dinosaurs on earth and probable reasons for their extinction.
- It is a world-class tourism spot and proves useful to students as well as experts.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Governor: Om Prakash Kohli
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
8. African Union suspends Sudan, demands an end to military rule
Sudan has been suspended from the African Union until the civilian rule is established in the country. Calls for the bloc to take action mounted after a crackdown by the army this week, in which scores were killed.
- The African Union (AU) has said it was suspending Sudan from membership until power was transferred to a civilian-led authority.
- The bloc had previously urged a smooth transition of power, but was accused of dragging its heels on a suspension in the wake of a bloody crackdown against protesters by the Sudanese military.
- Handing down the suspension, the AU’s Peace and Security Council said the transfer of power to a civilian-led authority was “the only way to allow Sudan to exit the current crisis”.
- Security forces killed scores of protesters on Monday, in the deadliest day of violence in the country since longtime ruler President Omar al-Bashir was forced from power in April.
- On Wednesday, an estimated opposition death toll from the crackdown rose to 108. The bloodshed has been widely condemned by the United Nations and the West.
9. Singapore topped the IMD World Competitiveness Ranking 2019
Swiss-based International Institute for Management Development (IMD) World Competitiveness Ranking 2019 said Singapore has dethroned the US to become the most competitive economy in the world. Hong Kong stands the second spot in the list. USA stands third followed by Switzerland and UAE and fourth and fifth respectively.
Qatar entered the top 10. India ranked 43, one position higher compared to 2018.
The ranking process considers a wide range of hard statistics such as Gross Domestic Product (GDP), unemployment and government spending on health and education. IMD also used the soft data from an Executive Opinion Survey which covers other parameters such as social cohesion, globalization, and corruption.
10. Mahindra Group Won Gold Award In South Africa
Mahindra Company has 60 dealers in South Africa secured top position out of which 29 vehicle brands surveyed for the awards.
- They received the award from the country’s National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) and resided at Africa for 16 years and they tested dealers satisfaction with the way a brand supports and communicated with them.
- This Award is a welcome recognition of the team’s hard work in every aspect of dealer support knowing that happy dealer ultimately leads to a happy customer.
About Mahindra Group
- It is established in 1945 as Mohammad & Mahindra and later renamed as Mahindra and Mahindra.
- Parent organization: Mahindra Group
- CEO: Anand Mahindra
- Subsidiaries: SsangYong Motor, Club Mahindra Holidays
About the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA)
- It is an American trade organization. It is Established in 1917, the organization is based in Tysons Corner, Virginia.
- Abbreviation: NADA
- Formation: 1917
- Founded: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
11. SEBI signs MoU with MCA
A formal Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed between the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA), Government of India and the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for data exchange between the two regulatory organizations.
- The MoU was signed by Shri KVR Murty, Joint Secretary, MCA, and Smt. Madhabi Puri Buch, Whole Time Member, SEBI in the presence of senior officers from both the organizations.
- The MoU comes in the wake of the increasing need for surveillance in the context of Corporate Frauds affecting important sectors of the economy. As the private sector plays an increasingly vital role in economic growth, the need for a robust Corporate Governance mechanism becomes the need of the hour.