1. 12 October is Celebrated as National Farmer’s Day in USA
National Farmers Day on 12 October praises the hard working farmers across the country. In the midst of harvest season, the day pays tribute to the men, women and family who dine in the grocery stores and on our tables every day.
- National Farmers Day was earlier known as Old Farmers Day.
- From long ago in American culture, farmers set an example through their hard work. Not only do they provide a nation with the food we eat, but they also contribute to our economy in many ways. The farmers supply a stream of employment before the seeds find their way into the land. Through manufacturing, marketing and tourism, farmers keep small and large communities strong.
In India, National Farmer’s Day is observed on 23 December 2019.
2. Nobel Peace Prize conferred to Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed
Abiy Ahmed, the Ethiopian Prime Minister has been awarded by the Nobel Peace Prize
Reason for Nobel prize
He helped his country’s 20-year war with Eritrea. The prize was conferred in Oslo, the Norwegian Nobel Committee.
Nobel Peace Prize
It is one of the five Nobel Prizes established by the will of Swedish industrialist.
- Established: 1895
- Awarded for: Outstanding contributions in peace
3. Yes Bank elected Anita Pai as COP and Jasneet Bachal as CMO
Yes Bank Ltd has elected Anita Pai as the chief operating officer (COP) and Jasneet Bachal as the chief marketing officer (CMO) of the bank.
Anita Pai worked as the senior general manager and head of ATM business at ICICI Bank Ltd. She will lead the operations and service delivery of the bank. She will be incharge of the information technology (IT) functions of the lender.
Jasneet Bachal worked as Senior Vice President and Head Marketing of Kotak Life. She has almost 8 years of experience in Kotak Mahindra Bank. She will lead marketing and communications efforts.
4. Biplab Kumar Deb launched ANGIKAAR campaign
On 10 October 2019, Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb has launched ANGIKAAR campaign at Agartala Town Hall. As part of the campaign, the state aims to build 2200 flats and an international shopping mall in Agartala to encourage international trade in the state. The program is in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to provide housing to all by 2022.
The state government has also planned to build 1000 flats at three locations through the Tripura Urban Planning and Development Authority in the city. These places are Don Bosco, Dhaleswar, Colonel Chaumuhani. The remaining 1200 flats will be constructed in the old Central Jail, Tripura. The state allowed building up to 5 floors.
5. Olga and Handke achieve the Nobel Prize for literature
Olga Tokarczuk and Peter Handke have achieved the Nobel Prize for literature for the year 2018 and 2019, announced by the Royal Swedish Academy. Each received a nine million Swedish kronor, a medal and a diploma.
As the award was not announced for the year 2018, the academy awarded two winners, one for the year 2018 and one for 2019. The Swedish Academy suspended it in 2018 after a sexual assault scandal.
6. Scientists constructed the face of the Indus Valley people
A multi-disciplinary team of 15 scientists and academics from six different institutes of South Korea, UK and India have generated an accurate facial representation of the Indus Valley Civilisation people. They reconstructed the faces of 2 of the 37 individuals who were found buried at the 4,500-year-old Rakhigarhi cemetery.
- The scientists applied the craniofacial reconstruction (CFR) technique using computed tomography (CT) data of 2 of the Rakhigarhi skulls and recreated their faces.
- The CFR technology generated faces of the two Rakhigarhi skulls, therefore, is a major breakthrough.
- The 3-D video representation of the faces of the two individuals appeared to have Caucasian features with hawk-shaped and Roman noses.
7. Annu Rani won gold at the 59th National Open Athletics Championships
In the women’s javelin throw event at the 59th National Open Athletics Championships, Javelin thrower Annu Rani has won a gold medal on 10 October in Ranchi, Jharkhand. She beat Sharmila Kumari to get the title.
- She gave a series of throw of 56.97m, 55.97m, 58.31m, 57.29m, 56.86m, 58.60m. Sharmila Kumari’s best throw in the event was 53.28m.
- The 25-year-old set the national record at 62.43m at the World Championships in Doha in October 2019.
- Annu Rani – 58.60m
- Sharmila Kumari – 53.28
- Poonam Rani – 50.67
8. Scientists plan to conduct the largest DNA barcoding of spiders in India
Scientists from the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) undertook a barcode of at least 100 species of spiders based on their DNA. This is the largest practice on DNA barcoding of spiders from India
Species of Spiders:
- The study consists of various species such as the spitting spiders-Scytodes thoracica, Thwaitesia species-spiders with natural mirrors in their abdomen and those that steal others’ food-Argyrodes flavescens and also included species that are found only in India.
- A minimum of 101 species, with at least 5 endemic species, have been DNA barcoded.
DNA barcoding is a method used to quickly identify any species based on extracting a DNA sequence from a tiny tissue sample of any organism. In other words, it is the molecular signature of a species based on its genes.
9. Centre is ready to amend the Indian Arms Act
The Union Home Ministry proposed an amendment to the Indian Arms Act, 1959. The Ministry also submitted a draft for the Act. The draft Arms (Amendment) Act 2019 was aimed at preventing the spread of arms and ammunition.
- The ministry proposed a new section, 25 (6) for the prohibition of firearms or ammunition by members of an organised crime syndicate.
- The penalty includes a minimum punishment of 10 years in prison and maximum punishment of life imprisonment till death.
10. Indian Railways started Sahyatri app
The Indian Railways has initiated a website and mobile app that will facilitate the passengers to register their complaints online. The website was launched by the Union minister Nityanand Rai.
- The passengers can login to the website www.railways.delhipolice.gov.in and the mobile app Sahyatri can file their complaints regarding the issues they face in the railway. This will facilitate the railway police to address the complaints of passengers from across India and crime detection by integrating the criminal database online.
- The app will help railway passengers to locate the jurisdiction of a police station and details of GRP officers. Travelers can download the app on Android and iOS mobile phones.
- Using the app, travelers can not only share information between GRPs but will certainly benefit as citizen services have also been provided on the website.