1. 12th August as International Youth Day
The United Nations’ (UN) International Youth Day is observed on August 12 to recognize the efforts of the world’s youth in enhancing global society each year.
- It is intended as an opportunity for governments and others to draw attention to youth issues around the world.
- 2019 Theme is: ‘Transforming education’
2. Rajya Sabha cleared the IBC amendment Bill
The Rajya Sabha passed the amendments to the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC). Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Bill, 2019 presents clarity about preference to secured lenders over operational creditors.
Provisions of the amendments:
- The amendments give a loan defaulting company explicit authority over the distribution of proceeds of an auction in the resolution process.
- It has fixed a firm timeline of 330 days for resolving cases with reference to the IBC.
3. DD News channel got Champions of Empathy Award
DD News(Doordarshan)news channel of India conferred “Champions of Empathy Award”
The award is presented for spreading awareness about hepatitis. Mayank Agrawal, Director General of DD News accepted the Award from Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
The main responsibility of DD News is to make people aware of various disorders and preventions by showing health-related programs, reports, and policies that help to spread awareness towards health in society.
Hepatitis name has derived from the Greek word ‘Hepar’ meaning liver and ‘itis’ means inflammation. It is a medical condition in which inflammation occurs in liver cells and its complications vary with the type of infection. It is mostly begun by a group of viruses called hepatitis viruses. There are 5 types of hepatitis namely. A, B, C, D, and E. Each type is caused by a different hepatitis virus.
4. Jagdeep Dhankar sworn as West Bengal Governor
Jagdeep Dhankhar a former Lok Sabha Member of Parliament (MP) from Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan is a supreme court lawyer sworn in as the 28th governor of West Bengal.
The function was held at the Raj Bhavan, Kolkata in the presence of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, state ministers, including urban development minister Firhad Hakim and finance minister Amit Mitra, and other dignitaries. He was determined oath by the Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court TBN Radhakrishnan. He replaced Keshari Nath Tripathy.
5. Tamil Nadu girl obtained the gold medal in World Deaf Youth Badminton Championship
Tamil Nadu girl Jerlin Anika has won the gold medal in the World Deaf Youth Badminton Championships. The competition was held in Taipei last week.
Anika seized four medals in the championship, including the gold, two silver, and one bronze. Anika is a tenth standard student in the Avvaiyar government in Madurai. The daughter’s performance is a matter of pride for India and Tamil Nadu. The main reason behind her success is the preserver extended by her school and the efforts put in by her coach Saravanan.
6. RBL Bank launched India’s first health-focused credit card
RBL Bank and digital healthcare platform Practo have partnered to originate an industry first co-branded health credit card.
- This credit card is powered by Mastercard and is available on both Practo and RBL mobile apps and websites.
- It extends benefits like unlimited and round-the-clock online consultations with experienced and qualified doctors, one free full-body health check-up, while users can use the card to earn points that can be redeemed for availing Practo services like ordering medicine, tests and online consultations.
- Practo is currently the only platform in the country that lets patients manage their healthcare needs end-to-end.
7. Indian junior shuttlers won 6 medals at Bulgarian Open
In Badminton, Indian junior shuttlers have won six medals at the Bulgarian Junior International Championships which concluded in Pazardzhik, Bulgaria.
- The medals composed of three gold, a silver, and two bronze.
- The gold medals were won by the duo of Edvin Joy and Shruti Mishra in Mixed Doubles, Samiya Imad Faruqui in women’s singles, and pair of Tanisha Crasto and Aditi Bhatt in women’s doubles.
- Men’s doubles combination of Ishan Bhatnagar and Vishnuvardhan established for the silver medal.
- Malvika Bansod and Meiraba Luwang got a bronze each in other singles’ events.