1. Film Divisions is ready to launch documentary film club in Mumbai
India film divisions will launch a documentary film ‘A KSHITIJ’ in Mumbai.
- An acclaimed documentary film “Secret Life of Frogs” will be inaugurated by Ajay and Vijay Bedi.
- This initiative is being launched in collaboration with Indian Documentary Producer Union.
- This film will give lovers an opportunity to watch the acclaimed documentary films and also to interact with the film’s director.
2. Samsung combined hands with Paisabazaar.com to offer financial products
South Korean technical giant Samsung announces its partnership with Paisabazaar.com, an online marketplace for financial products in India.
- Paisabazaar.com will now support Samsung Pay to provide users with a one-stop solution to their financial needs.
- Users can apply for credit card and personal loan from the forum.
3. Reebok signed Katrina Kaif as its new brand ambassador
Fitness brand Reebok has announced Bollywood actor Katrina Kaif as her new brand ambassador in India.
- This association will lead to Reebok’s commitment to the best fitness brand in India.
- Katrina, who trains hard on a fitter and better self every day, is a symbol of brand ethos and is an inspiration for today’s generation.
4. Vikas Swarup elected as Secretary of Overseas Indian Affairs
Senior diplomat Vikas Swarup appointed as Secretary (Consular, Passport, Visa and Overseas Indian Affairs) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
- His appointment will come into power from August 1, 2019.
- Swarup, a 1986-batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service, is currently India’s High Commissioner to Canada.
5. Airtel Africa was listed as the third-largest stock on the bourse by market value
Airtel Africa was listed as the third-largest stock on the bourse by market value.
- the Nigerian Stock Exchange reported that the Airtel Africa has a 1.36 trillion naira ($4.4 bn) flotation. Airtel Africa operates across 14 African countries on 09 June 2019.
- The listing comes after Airtel’s main rival, South Africa’s MTN, listed its Nigerian unit in Lagos in May in a $6.5 billion float. South Africa’s MTN is in the second-largest stock on the bourse by market value.
- The shares of Airtel Africa climbed 10% from their listing price of 363 nairas after the float went live. The company, owned 68.3% by India’s Bharti Airtel, offered shares in its African unit via a London IPO and dual list in Nigeria.
- Bharti Airtel Limited is an Indian based global telecommunications services company.
- Its headquarter is in New Delhi, India.
- It operates in 18 countries across South Asia and Africa, and also in the Channel Islands.
- The CEO of the company is Gopal Vital.
6. MN Rao elected DG of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard
The central government named M Nageswar Rao, Additional Director of CBI as the Director General of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard.
- He will proceed to hold the post till superannuation in July 2020.
- He will succeed former CBI Chief Alok Verma.
- The Supreme Court operated Rao guilty of Contempt of Court for transferring the investigating officer heading the probe in Muzaffarpur shelter home case in violation of the orders of Apex Court.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founder: Government of India
- Founded: 1963
7. The government signed Phase-I of Bharatmala Pariyojana along with Indo-Nepal Border areas with a financial outlay of Rs 5,35,000 crore
Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin J Gadkari mentioned the Phase-I of Bharatmala Pariyojana received the approval with the financial outlay of Rs 5,35,000 crores
- Their main aim is to develop 24,800 km Highways along with 10,000 km residual National Highways Development Project (NHDP)
- The period is of 5 years.
- The roads are of a length of 2000 km.
- The outlay of Rs 25,000 crore is approved for the development of Border & International Connectivity roads
- Indo-Nepal Border, the balance work of Piprakothi-Motihari-Raxaul on NH-28A of about 69 km length.
- The cost of approximately Rs 334 crore awarded in December 2018.
- Expected time to complete the project is 12 months.
About Bharatmala Pariyojana:
- Established: 31 July 2015
- Ministry: Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
- Minister Responsible: Shri Nitin Gadkari
- It is a centrally-sponsored and funded road and highways project of the Union Government.
- The total investment for 83,677 km committed new highways.
- It is estimated around ₹5.35 lakh crore as the single largest outlay for a government road construction scheme.
8. NASA conferred Imaging Xray polarimetry explorer (IXPE) mission to SpaceX
NASA has awarded a contract to SpaceX to launch NASA’s Imaging Xray polarimetry explorer (IXPE) mission, a groundbreaking astrophysics mission. The mission aims to uncover the mysteries behind black holes and neutron stars.
- The cost estimated for the mission is $50.3 million. The mission plans to launch three space telescopes. These telescopes will be capable of analyzing the polarization of cosmic X-rays.
- The IXPE mission is expected to be launched from the Kennedy Space Centre in April 2021.
- The Imaging X-ray Polarimetry Explorer (IXPE) will get information regarding the polarization state of light from astrophysical sources. This will provide insight into the X-ray production in objects such as neutron stars and pulsar wind nebulae, as well as stellar and supermassive black holes.
- The launch mass of IXPE is 320 kilograms. IXPE will be launched over SpaceX FALCON 9 which is capable of launching 22,800 kilograms to low Earth orbit (LEO). There will also be excess payload capacity at launch.
9. Lifter Ajay Singh won gold at Commonwealth Championships
Indian weightlifter Ajay Singh won Gold in 81 kg category at the Commonwealth Championships in Apia, city of Samoa.
- 22 year old also created a new Commonwealth record in the clean and jerk category by lifting more than double his body weight (190kg).
- He also cracked the national record in the same category.
- The other Indian in the 81kg category, Papul Changmai clinched the silver medal by lifting a total of 313kgs.
- P Anuradha heaved 221kg to grab the first place in the men’s 87kg category, while Commonwealth gold medallist RV Rahul descended for the second spot by lifting 325kg in the 89kg event.
10. Indian Institute of Public Health Survey says that India has an adequate number of healthcare professionals
According to the research conducted by the Indian Institute of Public Health (IIPH), Gurugram, India has an adequate number of healthcare professionals, though they are unevenly distributed between rural and urban India and across different states.
- It addressed the issues of distribution of HRH (Human Resource for Health)
- It is based on NSSO and 38 per 10,000 population based on the registration data.
- The number of doctors in Kerala and Union Territories more higher compared to larger states such as Rajasthan, Jharkhand, and Bihar.