1. 15th July as World Youth Skills Day
World Youth Skills Day is marked on 15th July to promote young skill development and capabilities.
- In 2019, UNESCO and UNEVOC networks will be involved in global celebrations to mark the day and also to increase awareness about the importance of young skill development.
- In addition, TikTok and National Skill Development Corporation have collaborated to celebrate this year’s day by launching the ‘Skills4All’ in-app campaign.
- This year, the theme of World Youth Skills Day 2019 is ‘Learning to learn for life and work’.
2. KSUM to host Women’s Startup Summit 2019 in Kochi on August 1
The Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM) hosts a one-day program ‘Women Startup Summit 2019’ organized by the Indian Industry Association (CII) in collaboration with the Indian women industry.
This program will be held on August 1, 2019, in Integrated Startup Complex, Kochi, Kerala.
The theme of the incident is “Developing an Inclusive Entrepreneurship Ecosystem”.
- The main objective is to encourage aspiring female professionals to travel to entrepreneurship and develop an inclusive entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- About 20 female startups have been selected for the Summit from “She Loves Tech 2019 Global Startup Competition”.
- The meeting will be open to all female professionals, interested entrepreneurs, corporate leaders, and startup founders.
- It is a global forum for dedicated startups for women entrepreneurs as well as to improve the lives of women.
About Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM)
It is the nodal agency of Government of Kerala for entrepreneurship development and incubation activities in Kerala, India. Wikipedia
- Founded: 2006
- Headquarters: Thiruvananthapuram
- Key people: Dr. Saji Gopinath (Chief Executive Officer)
3. 14th July as French National day
French national day known as July 14 in France and Bastille Day abroad is celebrated on 14th July every year.
- It observes the 230th anniversary of the storm of Bastille prison in Paris on 14 July 1789.
- Prison Break is known as a turning point in the French Revolution, which created the stage for the birth of the Republic.
4. Lewis Hamilton got sixth British Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton won an exciting victory to win his sixth Grand Prix in Silverstone Circuit, his seventh win in ten races in 2019.
- Hamilton’s Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas was looking completely ready for victory, but the intervention of a security car helped Hamilton stamp his win.
- Bottas had an early lead from the pole position and he faced Hamilton’s challenge in the initial laps.
5. England won the ICC Cricket World Cup
England entered the final by defeating their first ICC World Cup cricket trophy in New Zealand, which was decided in London through a dramatic super over.
- To bat, New Zealand scored 241 on eight wickets.
- In reply, England ended up on the same score, thereby overlaying an over overlay in Lord’s.
- In the super over, England batted first and the pair of Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler scored 15, and New Zealand finished on the same score, but on the loss of one wicket, paved the way for an English victory over the count of boundaries.
- England’s Ben Stokes was chosen Player of the Match.
- New Zealand captain Ken Williamson was chosen as the player of the tournament for a fantastic return with a bat and inspirational leadership.
6. Djokovic defeated Federer to win fifth Wimbledon title
In Tennis, Serbian Novak Djokovic overcame his fifth Wimbledon title after defeating Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, 4-6, 13-12 in a match that lasted for more than four hours.
The match was to be decided in the fifth set, as both Federer and Djokovic won two-two sets in the longest finals to be played so far.
This is Djokovic’s 16th Grand Slam and 5th Wimbledon title.
- Women’s Singles: S. Halep (Romania)
- Men’s Doubles: Juan Sebastian Cabal (Colombia) and Robert Farah (Colombia)
- Women’s Doubles: S W. Hsieh (Taiwan) and B. Strycova (Czech Republic)
- Mixed Doubles: I. Dodig (Croatia) and L. Chan (Taiwan)
7. Vijender Singh won the 11th Pro Bout
Boxer Vijender Singh made a technical knockout on Mike Snyder on his debut at US Professional Circuit in Newark, US.
- Haryana’s 33-year-old player won four consecutive rounds to win the 11th consecutive circuit.
- This was Vijender’s eighth knockout win.
8. Former leader of opposition Chandrakant Kavlekar was appointed as the deputy chief minister of Goa
Former leader of opposition Chandrakant Kavlekar was appointed as the deputy chief minister of Goa.
- On 15 July, he was sworn in as DCM. He is among the four legislators inducted into the Goa cabinet.
- The appointment came days after 10 Congress MLAs in Goa joined the BJP. Mr.Sawant reshuffled the Goa cabinet on 13 July.
- Three members of the ally, Deputy Chief Minister Vijai Sardesai, Water Resources Minister Vinod Palyekar, Rural Development Minister Jayesh Salgaonkar, and Independent MLA and Revenue Minister Rohan Khaunte, were dropped to accommodate the new members to the cabinet. The monsoon session of the Goa state Assembly began on 15 July.
9. Padma Shri awardee Raghu Ram received FRCS of Thailand
Popular Breast Surgeon and Padma Shri Awardee P. Raghu Ram was praised with the Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) in Thailand.
- The 44th Annual Convention of the Royal College of Congress held at Pattaya
- The Theme of the ceremony is “ASEAN Cooperation in Value-Based Surgery”.
- The institute got the highest recognition with Raghu Ram’s bold vision, which works with the intimate body.
- Capital: Bangkok
- Prime Minister: Prayut Chan-o-cha
10. Kalraj Mishra elected as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh and Acharya Devvrat was transferred to Gujarat
On July 15, Senior BJP leader Kalraj Mishra elected as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh. He will substitute Acharya Devvrat. Devvrat was transferred and appointed as the Governor of Gujarat.
- Mr. Mishra, 78, had recently resigned from the Narendra Modi-led government as Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in 2017.
- He resigned the position as he crossed the age of 75, which is the BJP’s unofficial age limit for holding an elected post.
- He was a member of Parliament from Deoria constituency in Uttar Pradesh from 2014 to 2019. The Uttar Pradesh leader did not contest the last Lok Sabha election.
- Mr. Devvrat, 60, is currently working as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh, since 12 August 2015.
- He will succeed Governor of Gujarat O.P. Kohli, who retires on 15 July.