1. Former PM suggested ways to revive the Indian economy
Former Prime Minister and economist Manmohan Singh have recommended 5 remedial measures reverse the current economic slowdown in the country by saying that demonetization and faulty implementation of the Goods and Services Tax has wrecked the economy.
Five reform measures:
The five improvement measures that were recommended by former PM Manmohan Singh are:
- Instead of making sectoral announcements, the government should simultaneously strive to advance the entire economic structure. GST should be made logical.
- Agriculture should be revived and rural consumption should be promoted.
- Influencing liquidity in the system for capital formation.
- Revitalizing key labor-intensive sectors like textiles, automobiles, electronics and affordable housing. Easy loans will be required to implement this, especially for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
- Emerging export prospects due to the tariff war between the United States and China.
2. 15th September is celebrated as International Day of Democracy
The International Day of Democracy is celebrated on 15 September. The purpose of the day is to provide an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world. The day urges all governments to respect their citizens’ right to active, strong and meaningful participation in democracy.
Democracy is a process that will take place only with full participation and support by the international community, national governing bodies, civil society, and individuals. Democracy is a two-way street built on a continuous dialogue between civil society and the political class.
3. President Kovind addresses the Indian community in Switzerland
President Ram Nath Kovind is visiting Switzerland as part of his three-nation tour to enhance political, cultural and trade relations. The purpose of the meeting is to promote solar energy worldwide. President Kovind addresses the Indian community along with the women’s community. The President emphasized the large ties with Switzerland on the 12th Sept in Berne.
About the president’s Switzerland visit:
India-Switzerland has signed a rich cultural partnership for bilateral cooperation. Switzerland is the world leader in innovation. Already, many Swiss and Indian start-ups have joined hands to design solutions for global climate change, human health, and excess. India wants its presence with Switzerland for many such additional partnerships.
4. India claimed Track Asia Cup 2019
Cycling sensation Ronaldo Laitonjam has won at the Track Asia Cup 2019. Two gold medals on the first day, a member of the junior world champion team set an Asian record for the men’s junior 200m time trial event and later won a gold medal in the junior men’s sprint event.
- Venkappa Shiv Kengalgutti achieved the gold medal in the junior men’s 3 km individual. Triyasha Paul and Nikita Nisha gave ending in the junior women’s sprint event and added two more medals to India’s tally. Paul and Nisha has won medals on day one as well.
- India’s Punam Chand gained the silver medal falling short against Malaysia’s Emam Firdaus Mohammad Zamri who won the gold medal. India elite women’s 3 KM individual pursuit race. Elangbam Devi and Irungbam Devi has given India a silver-bronze finish in the event. Irungbam Devi won the bronze medal.
5. Maharashtra CM approved Rs.1680 cr water supply scheme for Aurangabad
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has sanctioned Rs.1680 crore for the water supply scheme for the city of Aurangabad in the Marathwada region. About 16 lakh people of Aurangabad are going to benefit from the Jayakwadi dam with this water supply scheme.
Water inadequacies are likely continuing within the Marathwada region, where the BJP is trying to build deep inroads. The election is likely to be held in October.
6. Marriott is ready to ban small plastic bottle toiletries from December 2020
Marriott International, the world’s largest hotel chain will drop small plastic bottles of shampoo, conditioner and bath gel from its hotel rooms global by December 2020. They’ll be substituted with larger bottles or wall-mounted dispensers, depending on the hotel.
- They will drop about 200 million tiny bottles each year by 2021.
- More than 7,000 hotels in 131 countries under 30 brands, from Marriott, Springhill Suites and Residence Inn to Sheraton and Ritz-Carlton. It says it will eliminate about 500 million small bottles or 1.7 million pounds of plastic each year.
7. Payas Jain got silver at ITTF Asian Junior and Cadet Championship
India made a silver splash as the country’s accomplished table tennis player Payas Jain and junior boys team bagged silver in Cadet Boy’s Singles and Junior Boys’ Team events at the IITF World Asian and Cadet Championship.
- Jain shows his aggression originally but in the face of a fine attacking play by the Chinese.
- The Delhi paddler wilted lost 11-13, 6-11, 8-11, 5-11 in less than 20 minutes.
- There was a time in the first game when Jain met his Chinese rival and even deuced after trailing. The top-seeded Chinese converted the point at the second opportunity to go ahead.