1. 17 October is observed as International Poverty Eradication Day
The United Nations (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty has been observed on October 17 every year since 1993. It promotes people’s awareness around the world, especially in developing countries about the need to eradicate poverty and destruction.
- Various non-governmental organizations and community charities support the day by actively calling on the country’s leaders and governments to eradicate poverty, making the fight against poverty a central part of foreign policy. Other activities may include signing “call to action” petitions, organizing concerts and cultural events, and organizing interracial gatherings that may include moments of silence.
- The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is a global overview and not a public holiday.
2. India listed 82nd in the 2019 World Giving Index
India was listed 82nd in the 2019 World Giving Index (WGI). The survey ranking was released by the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), an international organization. Its purpose is to promote a change in lives and communities worldwide.
The survey was administered by CAF over the past decade, 2009 to 2018. The survey covered 1.3 million people worldwide.
WGI 2019 list:
Top 10 countries:
USA excelled at the WGI 2019 list. It is followed by Myanmar, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Canada, UK, Sri Lanka, and Indonesia.
India’s neighboring countries:
Nepal ranked 53, and Pakistan ranked 69.
Bottom 3 countries:
The bottom three countries on the list are Yemen, Greece, and China.
3. Air India grew the first airline in the world to use a TaxiBot
National carrier Air India (AI) has become the first airline in the world to use a TaxiBot on an Airbus A320 aircraft operating a commercial flight with passengers onboard.
- The aircraft of AI 665 Delhi-Mumbai flight was brought to the runway at Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI) airport’s Terminal 3 using the TaxiBot.
- The aircraft was flagged off by Air India Chief Managing Director Ashwani Lohani. The move of Air India is towards a cleaner environment.
4. India listed 102nd in 2019 on the Global Hunger Index
India has listed 102nd in 2019 on the Global Hunger Index (GHI). It had slipped from 95th rank in 2010. Seventeen countries, including Belarus, Cuba, Ukraine, Turkey, and Kuwait, shared the top rank with GHI scores. The report said Ethiopia and Rwanda had shown notable progress.
The Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2019 was together prepared by Concern Worldwide, an Irish aid agency, and Welt Hunger Hilfe, a German organization.
5. GoAir won the Best Airline award
GoAir got the Best Airline Award under his leadership to achieve timely performance for 12 consecutive months by the Andaman Tourism Award 2019. The Andaman Tourism Awards ceremony was organized in Port Blair in collaboration with the Andaman Tourism Ministry and the Andaman Association of Tour Operators.
Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) stated that GoAir has emerged as the most punctual airline in August 2019. The airlines created history in the Indian aviation sector. GoAir has set the record of a consecutive 12th-month achievement of distinction by being on top of on-time-performance (OTP) charts.
The report also said that GoAir registered 85.1% OTP, which is the highest among proposed domestic airlines in August 2019. GoAir currently operates over 325 daily flights. It has also carried around 13.91 lakh passengers in August 2019.
6. RBI ended printing Rs.2000 currency notes
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced that it will not continue the printing of Rs.2,000 currency notes. The Central Bank also revealed that not even a single Rs.2,000 note had been printed in the current financial year, FY 2019-20.
Rs.2000 currency notes printing:
- In the financial year 2016-17, the RBI printed 3,542.991 million notes
- In the financial year 2017-18, the RBI reduced the printing of the Rs.2000 currency notes to 111.507 million notes
- In the financial year 2018-19, the central bank printed 46.690 million notes.
- No Rs.2000 currency notes were printed in the financial year 2019-20.
7. ONGC Videsh struck oil in Colombia and Brazil
ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) has found oil in its onshore exploration block CPO-5, Colombia, in the Llanos Basin.
- It also discovered major gas in the deep offshore exploration block BM-SEAL-4, Brazil, in the Sergipe Alagoas Basin. ONGC Videsh Limited is the overseas investment arm of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
- Well, Sol-1 was discovered in the block CPO-5. It encountered the oil-bearing sands of 8 meters at a depth of 2852m. Oil discovery in Sol-1 has confirmed the extent of oil pays further south of the block. In 2017 and 2018, OVL had previously discovered commercial oil in the same pay in wells Mariposa-1 and Indico-1, respectively. The two wells are under production now.
ONGC Videsh holds 70% participating interest (PI) in CPO-5 block as Operator. The balance 30% PI is owned by Petrodorado South America S.A., Sucursal (PDSA), Colombia.
8. Chawla elected as new Controller General of Accounts
The central government has named Shri J. P. S. Chawla as the new Controller General of Accounts (CGA) for the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance. The appointment was effected from 15 October 2019 on a regular basis.
Shri J. P. S. Chawla:
Shri Chawla is a 1985-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer. He graduated from the Bachelor of Engineering (BE) in mechanical engineering from the Delhi College of Engineering, Delhi.
- He has worked with the Public Sector Engineering Enterprise, Engineers India Limited (EIL) for four years prior to joining the Civil Services. In his 34-year career, he has operated various cadre posts at different levels in a number of Ministries/Departments with Prasar Bharti, Urban Development, Civil Aviation & Tourism, and Agriculture, to name a few.
- He also worked as Finance Director in the Indraprastha Power Generation Company Limited (IPGCL) and Pragati Power Limited (PPL).
9. Tribal Affairs Ministry started Van Dhan Internship Programme
Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Shri Arjun Munda has launched the Van Dhan Internship Programme on 16 October 2019. It was organized by the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
Van Dhan Internship Program:
- The program will support the tribal population to become self-reliant and entrepreneurs.
- All the interns will be a part of the National Building Team.
- The program will highlight the need for entrepreneurship
10. Kiran Uniyal hovers Guinness World record
Kiran Uniyal, the wife of a serving Colonel of Indian Army, has formed Individual Guinness World Records for The most full contact knee strikes in three minutes (one leg) (female) with 263 strikes and the most full contact knee strikes alternate legs in one minute(female) with 120 strikes.
- The previous records were of 177 strikes and 102 in the female category, respectively.
- The aim of her records was to promote martial arts for girls and women’s safety and self-defense. She also surpassed the existing male category record of 226 knee strikes. Uniyal has achieved 15 World Records, including 10 Guinness World Records in Martial Arts, Fitness, and Social Work, so far.