1. Justice AK Sikri elected as the Judge of SICC
The Republic of Singapore Halimah Yacob elected Justice AK Sikri as a judge of the Supreme Court
- He worked as the International Judge of the Singapore International Commercial Court (SICC).
- He will effective from August 1, 2019.
- His tenure ends on January 4, 2021.
- There are 16 international judges in the SICC.
- He has retired on March 6, 2019.
- He worked as Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court and Acting Chief Justice of Delhi High Court.
- He was appointed as Judge of the Delhi High Court in 1999.
- He has been appointed as the Chairman of News Broadcasting Standards Authority NBSA).
2. The US banned Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
The United States banned the visits of Myanmar army chief and three other top officials due to their role in the “ethnic cleansing” of the Rohingya minority.
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is the first US government to act publicly in connection with the most senior leadership of the Burmese Army.
- The Deputy Commander-in-Chief, So Win, Brigadier-General Than Oo and Brigadier General Aung Ang, along with all the four officers’ families.
- Buddhist-majority Myanmar refuses to give citizenship or original rights to mostly Muslim Rohingyas
About the USA
- Capital: Washington, D.C
- President: Donald Trump
- Vice President: Mike Pence
3. Vijayveer won his 3rd gold at Junior Shooting World Cup
Vijayvir Sidhu won his third gold medal in ISSF Junior World Cup in Suhl, Germany.
- Together with Raj Singh, Singh Sandhu and Adarsh Singh participated in men’s 25-meter pistol event.
- For Adarsh, it was his second gold of the competition.
- India retained its top position in medal standings after the trio of 7 gold 7 silver and 2 bronze in a total of 16 medals.
- China 5 Gold is the second with 3 silver and 5 bronze.
- The second medal of the day came with Men’s 10 meters Air Rifle with a Trio of Heart Hazarika, Yash Vardhan, and Parath Makhija.
Team Silver with a combined score of 1877.4
- It was just 0.4 lower than the gold-winning Chinese team’s score.
About the ISSF Junior World Cup
- It was introduced in 1986 by the International Shooting Sport Federation.
- The main objective is to provide a homogeneous system for qualifying for Olympic shooting competitions.
- Olympic shooting events with four competitions each year in each event.
4. Rajya Sabha cleared the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (AERA) (Amendment) Bill, 2019 on 16 July
The Rajya Sabha has passed the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (AERA) (Amendment) Bill, 2019 on 16 July. The Bill aims to raise the threshold for an airport to qualify as major airport and in turn to reduce the tariff-fixing power of the airport regulator to fewer airports.
With the approval of the bill, there will be 16 airports in the AERA realm. All other airports will be cared for by the Ministry of Civil Aviation. Amendment of Bill does not preserve the interests of consumers.
AERA (Amendment) Bill was earlier approved by the Cabinet in December 2017 during the first tenure of Modi government. The Bill got lapsed as it could not be passed in last year’s Monsoon Session.
In the second term of the NDA government, the new Lok Sabha has approved the Bill again. The Bill got the Cabinet approval on June 24.
Cons of the Bill:
Privatization of the airports and bidding system will affect the growth rate of sector, which is growing at around 10%. As the air ticket will be expensive, the government will not be able to meet its target.
Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (AERA):
The AERA is a regulator that has the power to set tariffs charged at airports. Currently, the major airports, which have 1.5 million passengers to handle annual capacity, the Airports of Economic Regulatory Authority of India (AERA), under the purview of the falls.
5. Zakir Hussain, Sonal Mansingh among 4 selected for Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships
Tabla Maestro Zakir Hussain and dancer Sonal Mansingh are among the eminent personalities were selected for the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships with two other personalities are a dancer and choreographer Jatin Goswami and Bharatnatyam exponent K.Kalyanasundaram Pillai.
- Forty-four artists from the field of Music, Dance, Theater, Traditional, Folk, Tribal Music, Dance, Theater, Puppetry and Overall contribution or scholarship in the Performing Arts for the Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards for the year 2018.
- The 44 artistes include three mutual awards.
- The awards will be presented by the President Ram Nath Kovind at a special investiture ceremony.
6. Coca-cola appointed Sarvita Sethi in M&A role
Global drinks major Coco-Cola announced top-level changes in its India and Southwest Asia unit. Sarvita Sethi was appointed as vice-president.
- M & A and New Ventures and Harsh Bhutani as Vice President Finance (CFO)
About Sarvita Sethi
Sarvita Sethi has become the first woman to lead the company’s finance for this area, which will now be Vice President, Mergers and Acquisitions (M & A) and new venture for Coke’s India and Southwest Asia region.
- The importance of his appointment in the newly formed position is important.
- She is responsible for the firm’s important incubator, including the concept, development, and launch of new products for the market.
- President and Chief Operating Officer: Brian Smith
- Headquarters: Atlanta, Georgia, United States.
7. ‘Game of Thrones’ set a record with 32 Emmy nominations!
The nomination of 71st Annual Emmy Awards was unveiled with ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ emerged as the top contender with 32 nominations in the drama category.
- From the point of view of madness, the popular drama series has been successful in establishing a new record for most of the nominations earned by any drama series in the same year.
- In the comedy category, Amazon’s ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maussel’ picked up 20 nominations.
8. B B Harichandan, Anusaiya Uikey elected Governors of AP, Chhattisgarh
BJP veteran and former Odisha minister Biswa Bhusan Harichandan and former BJP MP from Madhya Pradesh Anusuiya Uikey were elected Governors of Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh respectively.
- Harichandan will succeed ESL Narasimhan, who is also the Governor of Telangana.
- Uikey will succeed the Governor of Madhya Pradesh, Anandiben Patel, who was managing the additional responsibility of Chhattisgarh.
9. Haryana cabinet approved setting up of Sports University at Rai
Haryana Cabinet approved the establishment of Haryana Sports University in Rai, Sonipat.
- The University will have the powers to organize academic and training programs in physical education and sports science.
- It will have the powers to organize academic and training programs in physical education and sports science, including sports technology, sports medicine, sports management, sports infrastructure engineering, sports psychology, sports nutrition, sports journalism, and sports marketing.
10. India is ready to host the ISSF United World Cup from March 15-26, 2020
India has to host the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Combined World Cup from March 15-26, 2020.
- The events will be handled in New Delhi, India. ISSF finalized and signed the final dates of the events.
- The ISSF Combined World Cup covers events in rifle, pistol, and shotgun. The World Cup provides a golden platform to hit in Tokyo 2020 Olympics n 2020’s event of a shooting. India has hosted a World Cup in February 2019, which offered Olympic quota places for Tokyo.
The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) was founded in 1907. It is headquartered in Munich, Germany. The President of ISSF is Vladimir Lisinis. It governs the Olympic Shooting events in rifle, pistol and shotgun disciplines, and of several non-Olympic Shooting sport events.