1. Indonesia is hosting the 18th Asian Games 2018
Indonesia is hosting the 18th Asian Games 2018. The games are to be maintained from 18th August to 2nd September 2018 in Jakarta and Palembang. The motto of the event is ‘Energy of Asia’. Around 45 countries are participating in the 18th Asian Games.
- The opening ceremony was held at Gelora Bung Karno Stadium, Jakarta on 18th August. It is a multi-sport event.
- India hosted the first Asian Games in 1951. It would feature 484 events in 42 sports.
2. Sunil Chhetri designated Best Sportsperson of India by Calcutta Sports Journalists’ Club
India football team captain Sunil Chhetri, 34-year-old, is currently taking part in Bengaluru FC’s pre-season training in Spain.
Special awards would also be assigned to Hima Das for winning the 400m gold in the under-20 world championship and to Dipa Karmakar for finishing on top on her comeback event in Turkey.
The other Award Winners are:
- Best Junior Sportsperson of the Country: Ishan Porel
- Lifetime Achievement awards: Aroon Ghosh, Arun Lal, Akhtar Ali
- Best athlete (men): Safiqul Mondol;
- Best athlete (women): Bhairabi Roy.
3. PM Narendra Modi proclaimed immediate relief of Rs 500 crore to flood-hit Kerala
Modi has announced immediate relief of Rs 500 crore to flood-hit Kerala, an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh per person to the next of kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to those seriously injured from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund.
- North and central Kerala have been worst-hit by the floods with at least 3,10,000 people displaced.
- At least 324 lives have been lost in Kerala’s worst floods since 1924.
4. India sent INS Sahyadri to Fiji to boost ties
Indian Naval Ship (INS) Sahyadri (F49) is the third and latest ship among the Shivalik Class of indigenously built stealth frigates and forms a part of the Eastern Fleet of Indian Navy.
- INS Sahyadri ship feasted the 72nd Independence Day of India in the Port of Suva, Fiji on August 15.
- INS Sahyadri draws its name from the beautiful, age-defying Western Ghats (also known as Sahyadri ranges) stretching across 1,600 km along India’s western coast.
5. Vaishali R became India’s latest Woman Grandmaster
The sister of R Praggnanandhaa, Vaishali R (17-year-old), became India’s latest Woman Grandmaster (WGM) after earning her third and final WGM norm at Riga Technical University Open at Latvia.
- Recently, Praggnanandhaa converted the world’s second youngest Grandmaster of all time.
- Vijayalakshmi Subbaraman was India’s first WGM, a title she achieved in 2001.
- She is the highest ranked chess player in India in her age category.
6. President Ram Nath Kovind has approved 131 Gallantry Awards including one Kirti Chakra
On the occasion of 72nd Independence Day, President Ram Nath Kovind approved 131 Gallantry Awards to members of Armed Forces personnel and Paramilitary Forces, which include one Kirti Chakra, three Bar to Sena Medals (Gallantry), 11 Nao Sena Medals (Gallantry), three Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry), 20 Shaurya Chakras and 93 Sena Medals (Gallantry).
- Braveheart hailing from Jammu and Kashmir, Sepoy Vrahma Pal Singh has been shortlisted for the Kirti Chakra award posthumously.
- Rifleman Aurangzeb will also be conferred with the third highest gallantry award.
7. The campaign against sexual abuse of children was launched by Amnesty International India
The campaign ‘Our Safety, Our Rights’ seeks to empower children to speak up and report sexual abuse without fear.
- The children will engage in 400 schools, across four Indian states, and through this campaign, an estimated 50,000 students, parents, teachers, and other key stakeholders will be sensitized on the issue of child sexual abuse.
- The campaign will be taken up by schools in Amnesty International India’s Human Rights Education network in Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, and will engage with teachers, parents, communities, institutions and state authorities.
8. ICRAFPT gets held at IIFPT, Thanjavur
The theme of the conference was “Doubling farmers’ income through food processing”.
- The International Conference on Recent Advances in Food Processing Technology presents a strong platform for knowledge sharing and meaningful delegation among industry, academia, researchers, and farmers which will potentially impact the food sector growth to a newer height.
- It is premier national institute working under administrative control of Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI). It is headquartered in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu. It delivers research and education in food processing. It also incubates farmers, entrepreneurs and aspiring youth for prospective food business ventures.
9. Sarvatra technologies have launched 450th cooperative bank Sevalia Urban Co-operative Bank
They provide RuPay Debit and Kisan Credit Cards issuance and enabling transactions on ATMs, POS, and eCommerce.
- They are bringing sub-member banks on other NPCI platforms like IMPS, UPI, AePs and Bharat BillPay.
- Dilip Asbe, MD, and CEO, National Payments Corporation of India said, “Sarvatra started with NFS, providing RuPay Debit and Kissan Credit Cards issuance and enabling transactions on ATMs, POS, and eCommerce. Sarvatra not only on boards UCBs but also SCBs and DCCBs which is helping in financial inclusion.”
10. Infosys CFO Ranganath stepped down from his position
M.D.Ranganath has resigned his position as the Chief Financial Officer and a key managerial personnel from Infosys. His resignation cited that he plans to pursue professional opportunities in new areas.
- He will proceed as CFO till November 16, 2018. He was working at Infosys for a span of 18 years and as CFO in the last 3 three years. He played a pivotal role in the growth and success of Infosys.
- He has played his role in various areas of consulting, finance, strategy, risk management and M&A and has worked closely with the board and its committees in formulating and executing strategic priorities for the company.