1. New York became Second US State To Ban Flavored E-Cigarettes
New York has become the second US state to ban flavored e-cigarettes. following several vaping-linked deaths that have raised fears about a product long promoted as less harmful than smoking.
- The Health Council has passed an emergency law proposed by Governor Andrew Cuomo, which is spreading from aromatic scented products due to an outbreak of severe pulmonary disease, which has killed seven people and left hundreds sick.
- The ban comes into force with immediate effect. Michigan became the first state to announce the ban earlier this month, but that law has not yet been implemented.
2. IAF LCA Tejas has a special pilot to fly in a fighter in Bengaluru
India’s indigenous defense sector, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh will fly in the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas in Bangalore. Skies in the two-seater version of the Tejas fighter plane.
- Tejas has been designed and developed by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and Aeronautical Development Agency is India’s home-grown single-engine multirole light fighter to replace the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 Bison aircraft.
- The IAF had in December 2017 has issued a request for proposal (RFP) to HAL for the 83 Tejas jets at an estimated cost of almost Rs 50,000 crore. The 83 Tejas aircraft, 10 are likely to the twin-seater version to be used for training the pilots.
3. Mahindra and Mahindra frame MBPL as wholly-owned subsidiary
Home-grown auto major Mahindra and Mahindra have incorporated Mahindra Bangladesh Private Limited (MBPL) as its wholly-owned subsidiary.
- Mahindra Bangladesh Private Limited has been incorporated in Dhaka, Bangladesh under the laws of Bangladesh, The Companies Act (Act XVIII) of 1994, Mahindra and Mahindra said in a regulatory filing.
- The objective of the move is to carry on the businesses of trading, distributing, importing, servicing, manufacturing, selling on hire-purchase or instalment systems, developing, assembling, leasing, research and development, of all kinds of passenger, supplying, storing, exporting, transportation and utility vehicles including but not limited to tankers, tractors, agricultural machinery, trucks, buses, motor cars, multi-utility vehicles, trailers, lorries, motorcycles, three-wheelers or other motor vehicles.
4. Airtel Payments Bank launched Bharosa savings account
Airtel Payments Bank has launched Bharosa savings account which enables customers access a mini statement of their account at over 6,50,000 Aadhaar-enabled payment system (AePS) enabled outlets or to withdraw cash check their balance across India. These services were designed for deepening financial inclusion in the country.
- The benefits of this product will be further amplified through a structured roadway for the phased introduction of other features linked to formal banking. To begin with, it will be available at over a quarter-million banking points.
- The balance or access a mini statement of their account at over 6,50,000 AePS (Aadhaar-enabled payment system) authorized outlets across India.
5. September 17 as World Patient Safety Day
World Health Organization (WHO) declared September 17, 2019 as the first World Patient Safety Day. Globally, 134 million adverse events contribute to 2.6 million deaths each year due to unsafe care. There are 28,000 deaths per year in Canada, patient harm ranks third in mortality after cancer and heart disease.
- The slogan of the day is Speak Up for Patient Safety. This campaign will inspire patients and their families, health workers, policy makers, academics, researchers, professional networks and the healthcare industry to speak up!
- Raise awareness of the need to provide care where policies are made, creating a safe work culture and protecting patients is a priority.
6. Moti Bagh: Documentary on Indian farmer’s life nominated for Oscars
Moti Bagh, a documentary based on a Uttarakhand farmer’s life has been nominated for the Oscars. The documentary film, directed by Nirmal Chander is based on the life of a farmer called Vidyadutt.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat shared this information. The Chief Minister appealed to the young farmers to play a leading role in preventing migration from villages and availing the schemes launched by the state government.
Moti Bagh: About the documentary
Moti Bagh is a documentary film based on the life of Vidya Dutt, a farmer from a remote village in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand.
The film reveals about the issue of migration of people from villages, especially from the remote villages in the Garhwal and Kumaon regions of Uttarakhand. It has been highlighted how Uttarakhand has migrated in turbulent proportions after the villages are vacant and no one has access to the land.
7. Sri Lanka unveiled South Asias tallest tower, funded by China
SriLanka has unveiled South Asia’s tallest tower, costing over $100 million, 80% of which was funded by China under the controversial Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- The 350 meter tall 17-storey Lotus Tower, established in the heart of Colombo city, comprises a television tower, a hotel, a telecommunications museum, restaurants, auditorium, an observation deck, a shopping mall, and a conference centre.
- The tower spread over an area of 30,600 sq. metres built at a cost of over $100 million.
8. On 23 September, 1st anniversary of Ayushman Bharat scheme will perform
Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojna scheme will complete 1 year on September 23.
- Within a year, over 45 lakh poor have been treated under the Ayushman Bharat scheme.
- more than Rs 70,500 crore has been spent, and 18,073 hospitals have been empaneled.