1. Union Minister Gehlot launched MIS portal under Accessible India Campaign
The Management Information System (MIS) portal has been launched by Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot for stakeholders of the Accessible India Campaign (AIC).
- The Fully accessible for divyangjans.
- The MIS was developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- The MIS portal will bring all the nodal ministries and states and union territories on a single platform to monitor the progress being made against each target of AIC.
2. EPFO launched e-nomination facility for your PF account
The Employees Provident Fund Organization EPFO began online e-nomination facility on its website. Filing e-nomination assists you to easily file an online pension claim at the required time. The nominees can easily file the online composite claim in the event of the demise of the EPFO member if the e-nomination has been done.
- Name of a nominee / s, you will have to get your Universal Account Number (UAN), which is allotted by EPFO, if it is not already on the EPFO portal.
- The next step is to ensure that the UAN is connected with your Aadhaar. On the other hand, Aadhaar must be linked with your mobile number to receive OTP.
3. World Bamboo Day was celebrated on 18 September
World Bamboo Day celebrates on 18 September every year. It is observed by the World Bamboo Organisation (WBO). The purpose of this day is to raise awareness for the conservation and promotion of the bamboo industry and to ensure sustainable utilization of bamboo and to bring the potential of bamboo to protect the natural resources and the environment.
- It promotes new cultivation of bamboo for new industries in areas around the world for community economic development.
- Centre’s action towards bamboo:
- Bamboo is known as the wood and green gold of a poor man. Bamboo grows fast, is low on maintenance and has a versatile capacity. After China, India is the second-largest bamboo producer in the world. The State of the Environment report 2018 states that there are 136 species and 23 genera of bamboo spread over 13.96 million hectares in India.
4. Telangana to observe 2020 as Year of Artificial Intelligence
The Telangana government determined to celebrate the year of 2020 as the Year of Artificial Intelligence. The backdrop of the emerging talent pool and a renewed focus on this space in the last four to five years by industry and other ecosystem players. The Nasscom declared the setting up of a Centre of Excellence in AI and Data Sciences in Hyderabad.
- In addition, IIT-Kharagpur (IIT-KGP) picked Hyderabad as the place to set up their regional center to train students in AI in partnership with the State government.
- Telangana was the first state to sign up with NITI Aayog when they prepared AI for all documents and they were running several pilot programs in the state.
5. Four new Supreme Court judges elected
Four new judges were appointed to the Supreme Court. The strength of the judge in the top court is 34.
- The new judges are Rajasthan High Court Chief Justice S Ravindra Bhat and Kerala High Court Chief Justice Hrishikesh Roy, and Haryana High Court Chief Justice Krishna Murari, Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice V. Ramasubramanian.
- The collegium headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi considered the names of the top four judges as judges of the top court.
6. According to the UN report, At 17.5 million, Indian diaspora largest in the world
India is the major country of origin of international migrants with 17.5 million strong migrants in 2019.
- The International Migrant Stock 2019, a dataset published by the United Nations Economic and Social Affairs Population Division, provides the latest estimates of the number of international migrants by age, sex, and origin for all countries and regions of the world.
- The report states that India treated 5.1 million international migrants in 2019, less than 5.2 million in 2015.
7. Delhi Police launched ‘Tatpar’ app for citizens
To provide security and convenient online mode to its citizens on a 24×7 basis, Lieutenant Governor of Delhi Anil Baijal launched the newly-integrated one-touch mobile app ‘Tatpar’.
- The app includes all the important websites, mobile applications and helpline numbers of Delhi Police besides 50 other services.
- With the help of this app, people can share information about a suspicious vehicle or person or crime to the police.
- Police have claimed that it has more than 50 citizen-centric services with just one click.
8. Vinesh Phogat became first Indian wrestler to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
After beating fancied American Sarah Hildebrandt in the World Championships in Nur Sultan, Kazakhstan, India’s star wrestler Vinesh Phogat passed for the 2020 Olympics.
- She went on to win the World Championship silver medalist 8–2 to seal her place at the Tokyo Games.
- Vinesh would later go on to win a bronze-medal match against Maria Prevolarki of Germany.
9. The mascot for the 2020 Beijing Winter Olympics revealed
Beijing will have a smiling panda and a walking Chinese lantern mascot for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics.
- The panda, named Bing Dwen Dwen, is the Olympic mascot.
- According to the Beijing Organizing Committee website, the colorful circles around its face symbolize the skating track and 5G technology.