1. Sadbhavana Diwas commemorated on 20 August
On 20 August, Sadbhavana Diwas is observed every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- This is the 75th Birth Anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi.
- On this day national integration, peace, love, affection and communal harmony among all Indians are encouraged. Shri Rajiv Gandhi was born on August 20, 1944, in Bombay. He was the youngest Prime Minister of India.
2. Indian team hold top-spot in ICC test rankings
ICC Indian skipper Virat Kohli clutched the top spot in the Test batsmen’s rankings. It is officially issued by the International Cricket Council in Dubai. Australia’s Steve Smith has occurred in the second position. Smith overtook New Zealand Captain Kane Williamson to reach the second spot. Smith is just nine points behind Kohli.
- Kohli has 922 points. Smith has 913 points.
- Australia’s Pat Cummins retained the top spot.
- India is on top of the team table with 113 points followed by New Zealand 111 points and South Africa 108 points.
International Cricket Council
- Chairperson: Shashank Manohar
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Founded: 15 June 1909
3. State Bank of India intends to eliminate debit cards
The bank plans to promote more digital payment solutions and eliminate plastic cards in the form of bank debit cards from the State Bank of India banking system.
- Debit card by SBI customers which is one-fifth of the population.
- Around 90 crore debit cards in the country as against 3 crore credit cards, and pointed out to digital solutions like it’s own ‘Yono’ platform as the key for achieving a debit card-less country.
4. Chief scientist K Thangaraj of CCMB achieved JC Bose Fellowship for the year 2019
K Thangaraj, chief scientist at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology(CCMB), Hyderabad, Telangana, has won this year’s J C Bose Fellowship. The award has been given for his outstanding contribution in the field of population and medical genomics on August 17, 2019. His research work covers the sex determination, mitochondrial disorders, ayur genomics, genetic basis of male infertility, cardiovascular disease, and forensic genetics.
He instituted the association of mitochondrial DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) variations with several disorders which is the first in India.
JC Bose fellowship
It is awarded to active scientists and engineers by the Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science and Technology, Government in recognition of their outstanding performance and contribution of India.
The award is named after Sir Jagdish Chandra Bose. He is the inventor of the Crescograph (a device used to measure plant growth). He is also known as the father of Bengali science fiction. The duration of the fellowship is 5 years. Each fellowship receives Rs 10 lakh per year for conferences and other expenses.
5. Former Australian bowler Mitchell Johnson became MCC Honorary Life member
Former Australian player Mitchell Johnson named as an Honorary Life Member of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC). The club presented the publication, during the second Ashes Test between England and Australia which ended in a draw.
- Johnson played 73 international Test matches for Australia claiming 313 wickets at an average of 28.40.
- Johnson made his debut for Australia in 2005 and took off his shoes a decade later in 2015. He was part of Australia’s two successful World Cup triumphs in 2007 and 2015.
- The speedster described Australia in 153 One Day Internationals picking up 239 wickets and 30 Twenty 20 Internationals claimed 38 scalps.
Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC)
Marylebone Cricket Club is a cricket club founded in 1787.
- Founder: Thomas Lord
- Founded: 1787
- Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
6. Shavendra Silva elected as Commander of the Sri Lankan Army
Sri Lankan field commander was elected the new Army Commander, the President’s office announced.
- Lt Gen Shavendra Silva, 55 take command as incumbent Army chief Lt Gen Mahesh Senanayake’s service.
- President Maithripala Sirisena’s office declared that Lt Gen Shavendra Silva identified as the new army commander.
- Silva commanded the Army’s 58th Division in the final battle against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rebels in the final stages of the civil war in 2009.
7. ISRO successfully installs Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft into lunar orbit
Indian Space Research Organisation has successfully installed Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft into lunar orbit as planned.
- After this, four more orbit maneuvers will be carried out till September 1st to bring it closer to Moon’s surface in the proximity of 100 km of lunar orbit.
- Chandrayaan 2 was launched on July 22 by GSLV Mark III-M1 launch vehicle.
- Lander Vikram and rover Pragyan soft-land on the south pole of the moon on September 7.
8. Paytm upgrades CFO Madhur Deora charge as the next President
Paytm elevated its CFO Madhu Deora as President of the company.
Madhur entered the digital payment firm in October 2016.
Earlier, Deora has served as Managing Director in Citigroup’s investment banking business in New York, London, and Mumbai.
9. Prasar Bharati is ready to soon introduce two awards – Neelum Sharma Tejaswini award & Achyutananda Sahoo Award
Prasar Bharti Chairman A Suryapakash has stated that Prasar Bharati would soon be introducing two awards – the Neelum Sharma Tejaswini award and the Achyutananda Sahoo Award.
- The awards will be originated to remember Senior DD News anchor Neelum Sharma who passed away on the 17th of August.
- Neelum Sharma was recognized with fondness and great affection as friends, colleagues, and acquaintances from across the networks of Doordarshan paid her glowing tributes.
10. India’s junior women boxers won 4 gold medals at Serbian tourney
India’s junior women boxers secured 12 medals at the third Nation’s Cup in Vrbas, Serbia.
- The team has won four gold, four silver, and four bronze medals and claimed the runners-up trophy.
- Tamanna has secured gold in 48 Kilogram category along with Ambeshori Devi in 57 Kilogram, Preeti Dahiya in 60 Kilogram and Priyanka in 66 Kilogram category.
- Over 160 boxers from 20 countries associated in this tournament, for which India sent a 13-member squad.