1. World Book of Records named Kapil Sharma as a most viewed stand-up comedian in India and Abroad
Kapil Sharma named as most viewed stand-up comedian in India and abroad by World Book of Records London.
He had started his career as a stand-up comedian from different comedy shows and got fame from “Comedy Nights with Kapil”.
About Kapil Sharma
- Occupation: Comedian, Actor, Anchor, Singer, Film & Television Producer
- Years active: 2007
- Known for: The Kapil Sharma Show, Comedy Nights with Kapil, Comedy Circus
2. ILFS Engineering appointed Karim Raza Khan as CEO
IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company Ltd. has appointed Kazim Raza Khan as its chief executive officer. Mr. Khan was appointed as the manager and key managerial personnel of the company on December 24, 2018.
- Khan has an overall professional experience of over three decades in the technical field focused on infrastructure.
- He will continue to be key managerial personnel of the company.
Khan’s previous experience:
- Khan had joined IL&FS Transportation Networks Limited in December 2005 as Project Manager. He was promoted as Assistant Vice President in 2007 and was further promoted as Associate Vice President in 2010.
- He was working as Senior Vice President and Regional Head of South, Central and West India till his appointment as Manager (Key Managerial Personnel) of IL&FS Engineering & Construction Company Limited on December 24, 2018.
3. May 20 observed as World Metrology Day
World Metrology Day was observed on May 20, 2019, with a theme “The International System of Units – Fundamentally better”.
- This theme was chosen because last year on 16th November 2018, the General Conference on Weights and Measures agreed to revise the International System of Units (SI).
- The World Metrology Day was celebrated every year because of the signature of the Metre Convention on May 20, 1875.
About International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM)
- Location: Sevres, France
- Director: Martin Milton
- Motto: Use the measure
About International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML)
- Headquarter: Paris, France
4. Anirudh and Niki won the 2019 ITF men’s Futures tennis title in Uganda
Top seeds Anirudh Chandrasekar and Niki Poonacha won the 2019 International Tennis Federation (ITF) men’s Futures tennis tournament title in Kampala, Uganda.
- The pair defeated Simon Carr and Ryan James Storrie and secured 6-3, 6-4.
- It was the maiden international title for Anirudh, while it was fourth doubles title for Poonacha.
5. Joko Widodo elected President of Indonesia for the second term
Indonesia’s Joko Widodo has been re-elected as President of the country. He beat his rival Prabowo Subianto, a retired general.
- Widodo and his vice-presidential running mate Ma’ruf Amin won the election by a 55.5% to 44.5% margin over Prabowo Subianto and Sandiaga Uno.
- Widodo’s PDI-P finished first in the People’s Representative Council (DPR) election with 19.33%, followed by Prabowo’s Gerindra with 12.57%. The next top parties by the number of votes are Golkar, the National Awakening Party (PKB), the Nasdem Party, and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS).
- Joko Widodo is an Indonesian politician who is the seventh and current President of Indonesia.
- Elected in July 2014 as the first Indonesian president to not come from an elite political or military background, he was previously the Mayor of Surakarta from 2005 to 2012, and the Governor of Jakarta from 2012 to 2014.
- He belongs to the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle.
Indonesia General election:
General elections were held in Indonesia on 17 April 2019.
- For the first time in the country’s history, the president, the vice president, members of the People’s Consultative Assembly (MPR), and members of local legislative bodies were elected on the same day with over 190 million eligible voters.
- Sixteen parties participated in the elections nationally, including four new parties.
The election was a rematch of the 2014 presidential election, in which Widodo defeated Prabowo. The election was described as “one of the most complicated single-day ballots in global history”.
6. Moin ul Haque appointed as Pakistans High Commissioner to India
Pakistan announced career diplomat Moin ul Haque as its new High Commissioner to India. The appointment was formally approved by Prime Minister Imran Khan. He is the current ambassador of Pakistan in France.
- Haque replaces Sohail Mehmood. The post of High Commissioner to India fell vacant after Sohail Mehmood was appointed Pakistan’s new foreign secretary.
- Pakistan has announced new ambassadors to 18 countries including China, Japan, and Brussels. The decision came after a detailed meeting with Prime Minister Khan, who formally approved the new appointments.
- In Beijing, Naghmana Hashmi will replace Masood Khalid, the incumbent envoy to China, after completion of his tenure. Additional Secretary Imtiaz Ahmad has been appointed Ambassador to Japan, while Zaheer Janjua, currently serving as additional secretary in Europe, will look after the Pakistani mission in Brussels.
- Sarfaraz Ahmad was appointed as ambassador to Sudan, Imran Haider as ambassador in Tajikistan, Major General Abdul Aziz Tariq in Brunei and Major General Muhammad Khalid Rao in Bosnia Herzegovina.
- Ambassador in Kuwait Ghulam Dastagir will replace Muazzam Ali Khan in Abu Dhabi, while Qazi Khalilullah, serving as ambassador in Russia, was being given an extension of six months.
The newly-appointed ambassadors and consul generals will play a pivotal in promoting the soft image of Pakistan and will adopt the best behavior with Pakistani community living abroad.
Ambassador: An ambassador is an accredited diplomat sent by a state as its permanent representative in a foreign country.
7. Nancy Pelosi honoured with 2019 John F Kennedy Profile in Courage Award
The USA’s House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi was honoured with 2019 John F Kennedy Profile in Courage Award. She was recognized for putting national interest above her party’s interest, for her efforts to pass former President Barack Obama’s 2010 health care law (Obama Care) and also for helping Democrats reclaim control of U.S. House during 2018 elections.
- She has served in House of Representatives since 1987.
- Previous Honorees of the award includes former Presidents Barack Obama, Gerald Ford, and prominent lawmakers Rep. John Lewis and late Sen. John McCain.
About JFK Profile in Courage Award:
- It is an annual award that was created in 1989 by members of President J.F. Kennedy’s family.
- It seeks to honor J.F. Kennedy and to recognize and celebrate the quality of political courage which he admired most.
- The award recognizes a public official (or officials) at the local, federal or state level whose actions speaks of qualities of politically courageous leadership.
8. Rafael Nadal claimed the Italian Open 2019 title
Rafael Nadal has won a record 34th ATP Masters 1000 title by defeating Novak Djokovic in the Italian Open final 2019. This is his ninth Rome title.
- Nadal dominated in a 6-0, 4-6, 6-1 win broke a tie with his longtime rival Djokovic. For his victory, Nadal received 1,000 ATP Ranking points and earned ₹7.5 crore. Djokovic produced an error-strewn performance in his 54th meeting with Nadal.
- After three semi-final defeats in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Madrid, Nadal has returned to his best form ahead of Roland Garros and clinched his first title of the season.
Result of Italian Open 2019
- Spain Rafael Nadal
- Czech Republic Karolína Plíšková
- Colombia Juan Sebastián Cabal / Colombia Robert Farah
- Belarus Victoria Azarenka / Australia Ashleigh Barty
Italian Open 2019
- The 2019 Italian Open was a professional tennis tournament played on outdoor clay courts at the Foro Italico in Rome, Italy. It was played from 15 May-21 May 2019.
- It was the 76th edition of the Italian Open and was classified as an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event on the 2019 ATP World Tour and a Premier 5 event on the 2019 WTA Tour.
9. India sets Guinness World Records of largest laundry lesson with the participation of 400 young men
India achieved a Guinness World Records of ‘largest laundry lesson’ with the participation of 400 young Indian men.
- The event was a part of the #sharetheload campaign.
It was done to share the responsibility of cleaning clothes at home along with the female members of the family
- The event was initiated by Ariel India.
- It was hosted by Mandira Bedi and Indian Actor Anil Kapoor also joined the function.
- Earlier, the largest laundry lesson was achieved by Lion NANOX Team (Japan) at Lion Hirai Research Laboratory in Edogawa, Tokyo, Japan on November 29, 2017. It had 318 people.
About Guinness World Records
- Originally Published: 1955
- Subject: World Records
- Publisher: Jim Pattison Group
- Genre: Reference work
- Authors: Craig Glenday, Norris McWhirter
10. BSNL partnered with Google for expanding WiFi footprint
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) partnered with Google on the occasion of World Telecom Day.
- The main objective is to expand the BSNL Wifi footprint in the country.
- Currently, there are around 38,000 BSNL Wifi hotspot locations working across the country and one can use these after buying the Wi-Fi vouchers worth of Rs 19 and more.
About Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- Headquarter: New Delhi
- CEO: Anupam Shrivastava
- Headquarter: California, US
- CEO: Sundar Pichai
11. Pramod Kumar Mishra was awarded the Sasakawa Award
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) has awarded the Sasakawa Award 2019 for Disaster Risk Reduction to Pramod Kumar Mishra.
- The award recognized his dedication to improving the resilience of communities most exposed to disasters. He is currently serving as Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi.
- The theme of the 2019 Sasakawa award was Building Inclusive and Resilient Societies. He has conferred the award during ongoing 6th Session of Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) 2019 at Geneva, Switzerland.
- GPDRR is a biennial multi-stakeholder forum established by UN General Assembly (UNGA) to review progress, share knowledge and discuss the latest developments and trends in reducing disaster risk.
United Nations Sasakawa Award:
- The was instituted in 1986 by Nippon Foundation. It is jointly given by the UNDRR and the Nippon Foundation.
- It is the most prestigious international award in the area of Disaster Risk Management.
- It is awarded either to organizations or individuals in recognization of their contributions for ensuring inclusive participation in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) activities for all sections of society, especially the poor.
12. Jeffrey Rosen is appointed as the US’s deputy attorney general
Jeffrey Rosen was confirmed as the United States’ latest deputy attorney general by the US Senate. He replaces Rod Rosenstein.
Mr. Rosenstein oversaw Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigations into Russian collusion in the 2016 Presidential elections, before stepping down from his post in April.
- Rosen served as general counsel for the White House Office of Management and Budget and the Transportation Department between 2003 and 2009, under President George W. Bush.
- He had also worked at Kirkland & Ellis for almost three decades, including for clients like General Motors and Hyundai.
- Rosen was confirmed for the deputy transportation secretary position 56-42 in May 2017, with predominantly Republican support.
Virat Kohli is the first cricketer in the world ever to break into the 100 million categories for followers on social media.
- Virat Kohli has Facebook (37.1 million), Twitter (29.4 million) and Instagram (33.5 million) to his name.
- Football giant from Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo is the most popular sportsperson on social media with 77 million followers on Twitter, 122 million followers on Facebook and 166 million followers on Instagram.
- Brazil star striker Neymar Jr is the second most popular sportsperson on micro-blogging site Twitter with 43 million followers.
- Argentina legend Lionel Messi – who plays for Barcelona in Spanish La Liga – follows Ronaldo on Facebook with 89 million followers.
- Sachin Tendulkar has 14.7 million followers on Twitter while MS Dhoni is third on the list with 13 million followers.
- Kohli is the third Indian after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Priyanka Chopra to have over 100 million followers on social media.