1. SMVDU signed MoU with NISE to achieve national solar mission
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University (SMVDU), Katra, J&K and the National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU). The main objective is to work jointly to achieve the objective of the national solar mission through training programmes.
The MoU was endorsed by Prof Mukkapandhoy and Prof V K Bhat of Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University (SMVDU) and Deputy General Director of NISE Dr. Chandan Banerjee, said SMVDU PRO Rajan Badyal will be valid for five years.
2. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh reviews operations of IMAC, IFC-IOR
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has visited the Information Management and Analysis Center (IMAC) and Information Fusion Center – Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR) located at Gurugram in Haryana.
- The Defence Minister reviewed the functioning of IMAC and IFC-IOR.
- Senior Navy officials, including the Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Karambir Singh, briefed him on further enhancing the capabilities of the two centers under the National Maritime Domain Awareness (NMDA) Project.
- NMDA project expelled in accordance with the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on SAGAR (Security And Growth for All in the Region).
3. President of India launched tree plantation drive at Rashtrapati Bhavan
President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind transplanted a sapling of Maulsari in the Rashtrapati Bhavan Estate. They originated a plantation drive as part of Van Mahotsav celebrations. The President met students and urged them to encourage fellow citizens to plant more trees and reaffirm our commitment to a greener and sustainable planet.
- As part of Van Mahotsav celebrations, the President’s Secretariat, over the next few weeks, will be planting 2,962 shrubs and 3,252 trees in the President’s Estate. They include ornamental and fruit trees like Peepal, Neem, Mango, Chiko, Maulsari, Champa, Gul Mohur, Anjir, and Amrud.
- President’s Estate spread over 330 acres harbors rich biodiversity. Noted trees of the Estate include Shisham, Lemon-Scented Gum, Gab, Gourd Trees, Sita Ashok, Bistendu, Wild Almond, Doon Siris.
4. Karnataka Government classified Nicotine as Class A poison
Government of Karnataka amended the Karnataka Poisons (Possession and Sale) Rules 2015. He notified Nicotine as “Class A poison”.The main aim is to strengthen the enforcement of the ban on production and sale of electronic cigarettes. The new rules are called the Karnataka Poisons (Possession and Sale) Rules, 2019.
- The ban imposed after the study conducted the High Powered Committee on Tobacco Control headed additional Chief Secretary of Karnataka, Vandita Sharma.
- The Government commanded the suspension of all kinds of promotion of e-cigarettes, including online promotion.
5. DRDO gives Army New Mobile Metallic Ramp
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) gave the design of the newly innovated Mobile Metallic Ramp (MMR) to the Indian Army at a ceremony held at DRDO Bhawan, New Delhi. The design of MMR handed over by Secretary Department of Defence R&D and Chairman DRDO, Dr. G Satheesh Reddy to Vice Chief of Army Staff (VCOAS), Lt Gen Devraj Anbu.
The MMR will reduce the Strategic Mobility time of mobilizing Armoured Fighting Vehicles. The requirement was projected by the Indian Army. The new MMR will provide the strategic mobility for Armoured and Mechanized units and formations of the Army. It will drastically reduce the time required for operational mobilization.
6. Railways’ second double-decker Uday Express to operate between Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada
Railways’ second double-decker Uday Express will operate between Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada to cater to the busy route in the East Coast Railway zone.
- The first Uday or Utkrisht double-decker Yatri Express was a specially-designed air-conditioned chair car which started service between Coimbatore and Bangalore in June 2018.
- They are equipped with WiFi facility, have striking interiors, cushioned seating, and display screens.
- Another Uday Express is proposed between Bangalore City and Chennai Central.
7. Ravinder Takkar elected Vodafone Idea CEO
Vodafone Idea’s CEO Balesh Sharma has descended down due to “personal reasons”.
- The company has accepted Sharma’s resignation and succeeded him with the representative of Vodafone Group, Ravinder Takkar.
- Sharma was the representative of Vodafone in the Joint Venture between British telecom giant Vodafone and Aditya Birla Group’s Idea that was formed to fight the onslaught of free calls and dirt cheap data plans unleashed by Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio.
- Takkar will be appointed as his successor with immediate effect.
8. Indian-American teen won South Asian Spelling Bee competition
An Indian-American teenager from New Jersey, Navneeth Murali won the 2019 South Asian Spelling Bee (SAS Bee).
- He won after correctly spelling the word ‘flipe’ and earned the national title and $3,000 grand prize.
- The South Asian Spelling Bee (SASB) is an annual spelling bee platform in the US for children of South Asian descent.