1. National Population Register – NPR
According to the Union Home Ministry manual, migrants from six non-Muslim minority communities in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh can also submit a National Population Register (NPR) enrollment slip as proof of length of stay in India while applying for a Long Term Visas (LTVs).
- NPR number is one of more than ten documents that can be provided to apply for LTV, which is a pre-requisite for obtaining Indian citizenship by naturalization or registration under sections 5 and 6 of the Citizenship Act, 1955 for six non-Muslim communities. These communities are Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, Parsis, Christians, and Buddhists.
- In 2011 a special provision was made for LTVs for Hindus and Sikhs of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
2. Delimitation begins in Jammu and Kashmir
The delimitation exercise has started in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K). The completion of the delimitation exercise will mark the end of the political process in the Union Territory (UT), which has been ruled by the Center since June 2018. After the abrogation of its special status under Article 370 on August 5, 2019, a Special Delimitation Commission was constituted in March 2020 for the Legislative Assembly and Parliament seats in the Union Territory.
- The delimitation process is supervised by the Delimitation Commission, an independent high-powered panel whose orders have the force of law and cannot be challenged in court.
- Draw or redraw the boundaries of territorial constituencies in a country or province with a legislative body per the Election Commission.
3. Work of Krivak Stealth Frigates
The Deputy Chief of Naval Staff has started work of the second cruiser of Krivak or Talwar class warship. The construction of the first ship began in January 2021 and it will be delivered in 2026, followed by the second one six months later. Ukraine provides the engines for the ships.
- The Krivak class stealth ships are being built by Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) using technology transferred from Russia as part of the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- The first two frigates will be built in Kaliningrad, Russia, at the Yantar shipyard. The next two will be built in GSL.
- An Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) for four Krivak or Talwar stealth frigates was signed between India and Russia in October 2016.
4. Toycathon 2021 Inaugurated
The grand finale of Toycathon 2021 was jointly inaugurated by Union ministers.
- Toycathon 2021 is an inter-ministerial initiative organized by the Ministry of Education’s Innovation Cell, with assistance from the All India Council for Technical Education, the Ministry of Women and Child Development, the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, the Ministry of Textiles, the Ministry of MSME, and the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting.
- Toycathon 2021 is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Indian students, teachers, start-ups, and toy experts/professionals to submit their innovative toys/games concepts and compete for a large number of prizes totaling Rs. 50 lakhs.
5. MoU Between India and Fiji
Fiji and India signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to collaborate in agriculture and allied sectors.
- As part of a grant from the Government of India, India distributed around 7 tonnes of seeds of 14 varieties of fruits and vegetables as per Fiji’s request for livelihood restoration of communities affected by Cyclone Yasa.
- Cyclone Yasa hit Fiji in December 2020. It was one of the most powerful storms to strike the island nation, damaging hundreds of buildings and killing two people.
6. Jaan Hai To Jahaan Hai Campaign Minority Affairs
The Union Minister for Minority Affairs in collaboration with various socio-educational organizations, NGOs, and Women Self-Help Groups has begun an awareness campaign called “Jaan Hai To Jahaan Hai” in Rampur, Uttar Pradesh.
- It is a nationwide awareness campaign aimed at raising awareness about corona vaccination in rural and remote areas of the country and to “crush and curb” the rumors and concerns about the ongoing vaccination campaign.
- Various religious leaders, prominent people from social, cultural, educational, medical sciences, and other fields are promoting vaccination as part of the campaign. Street plays will also be staged across the country.
7. A Partnership of Bharti Airtel and Tata Group 5G Network
Bharti Airtel and Tata Group have announced a strategic partnership for imposing 5G network solutions for India, which will be reachable for commercial development from January 2022.
- The Tata Group has developed O-RAN (Open-Radio Access to Network)-based radio and Non-Standalone Architecture/Stand-Alone Architecture (NSA/SA) cores and built-in completely indigenous telecommunications stacks, takes advantage of the capabilities 0f the team and its comrades.
- NSA/SA is a radio technology that controls the signaling of 5G radios. While the NSA can control the signaling of the 5G to 4G core, the SA can connect the 5G radio to the 5G core network immediately and the management of the signaling no longer depends on the 4G network.
8. Food Security Assistance to State Government Rules
The Department of Food and Public Distribution published an amendment to the Food Security (Assistance to State Government Rules) 2015.
- The move is expected to improve transparency and reduce leakage at ration shops when weighing food grains for the beneficiaries.
- This change will also encourage the integration of EPOS with electronic weighing machines.
- The notified amendment is aimed at ensuring that the beneficiaries receive the right amount of foodgrains subsidized under the National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013 as per their entitlement.
- It also encourages the States which are using EPOS effectively and encourages the States to improve EPOS operational efficiency and generate savings.
9. Jamsetji Tata top global list of biggest philanthropist of last century
According to the list of Top 50 Givers prepared by Hurun Report and EdelGive Foundation, Jamsetji Tata, the founder of the Tata Group, has emerged as the largest philanthropist globally by donating $102 billion over the past century.
- Tata is the only Indian in the top 10 list, while former Wipro chairman Azim Premji is the only Indian in the top 50 at 12th position.
- According to the report, Tata’s net philanthropic value is made up of 66% of Tata Sons, which is estimated at US$100 billion, based solely on the list of listed entities.