1. YES Bank got the DigiDhan Mission Digital Payments Award
YES Bank has won the DigiDhan Mission Digital Payments Award 2018-19 for the Overall Performance in Digital Payments. Union Minister of Communication, Electronics & IT. The award was presented by Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad at the MeitY Startup Summit 2019 held in Delhi. The award identified the bank’s leadership in the Digital Payment space that was backed by robust innovation and technology frameworks.
- Founded on: 2004
- Chairman: Brahm Dutt
- CEO: Rana Kapoor
- Headquarter: Mumbai
2. Malik appointed as the new lieutenant governor of Jammu and Kashmir
The Central government has advised the Governor of Union Territory (UT) of J&K Satya Pal Malik as the new lieutenant governor of J&K.
- The announcement comes ahead of the transition of the state Jammu & Kashmir into Union territories of J&K and Ladakh on 31 October as per the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019.
- Upon confirmation, Satya Pal Malik will become the first Lieutenant Governor for both Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh. He will be administered the oath of office as per the Indian Constitution by the Chief Justice of the J&K High Court Gita Mittal.
Satya Pal Malik:
Satya Pal Malik began his political career at Meerut University as a student leader. He became the MLA of Charan Singh’s Bhartiya Kranti Dal from Baghpat in Uttar Pradesh in 1947. In 1984, he joined the Congress and became its Rajya Sabha MP. In 1988, he switched to the VP Singh-led Janta Dal and became an MP from Aligarh.
3. OmniVision entered Guinness World Record for developing the smallest image sensor
OmniVision, an advanced digital imaging solution, has secured the Guinness World Record for developing the smallest commercially available image sensor.
Smallest image sensor:
- The size of the smallest image sensor is roughly half a millimeter square
- The device can address challenges posed by reusable medical imaging equipment
- It is capable of offering a high-quality solution for disposable guidewires, catheters, and endoscopes
4. International Stuttering Awareness Day observed on 22 October
International Stuttering Awareness Day is perceived on 22 October. The day was characterized in 1998. The Day aims to awareness of the Stuttering issue that can cause crippling social anxiety for those that suffer. The day also promotes people to help stutterers overcome the problem with both physical and emotional support. The day proposes to raise public awareness of stuttering, which has affected 1% of the world’s population.
The day reaffirms individual and organization’s commitment to:
- work to prevent stuttering in children
- educate people about this complex disorder
- let people, who suffer from stuttering, know that help is available
- promote research to find the causes of stuttering
5. India got 10 medals at 2019 Denmark Para-Badminton International tournament
Indian para-badminton players won the 2019 Denmark Para-Badminton International Tournament with a medal tally of 10 medals. India won gold medals in both the women’s and men’s singles in finals.
Total Medal tally of India:
Women’s Singles SL3 category:
Parul Parmar – Gold
Men’s Singles SL3 category:
- Manoj Sarkar – Gold
- Pramod Bhagat – Bronze
Men’s Singles SL4 category:
Sukant Kadam – Bronze
Men’s Singles SS6 category:
- Krishna – Silver
- Suhas Y – Bronze
Men’s Doubles SL3-SL4:
- Umesh Vikram/Suhas – Silver
- Pramod/ Manoj – Bronze
Men’s Doubles SU5:
Rajkumar Chirag – Silver
6. India listed ahead of Bangladesh, Pak on fixed broadband speed
A report by Ookle that India ranked ahead of Bangladesh and Pakistan with mean fixed broadband speed rising by 16.5% and 4G availability is rising to 87.9% during Q2-Q3 2019. Atria Convergence Technologies (ACT) Fibernet has topped the chart on download speeds. It is then followed by Jio in the second to the third quarter for the financial year 2019.
- 4G availability represents the percentage of an operator’s known locations where a device has access to Long-Term Evolution (LTE) service, including roaming.
- 4G availability in India was relatively high, at 87.9% across providers during Q2-Q3 2019. The 4G availability in Pakistan during the same period was at 58.9% and 58.7% in Bangladesh.
7. Cabinet cleared the revival of BSNL and MTNL
Centre has decided to merge the PSUs Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) in order to revive loss-making telecom firms.
Under the merger, the emerging MTNL will act as a subsidiary of BSNL. MTNL is listed but has its net worth already eroded. BSNL is unlisted.
Centre has announced a few steps to revive the two companies:
- The revival package includes raising sovereign bonds, monetizing assets, and voluntary retirement schemes (VRS) for employees.
- The two state-owned telecom companies will be made more competitive by putting in Rs.29,937 crore.
- The government plans to raise Rs.15,000 crore through sovereign bonds
- 4G spectrum will be allocated to BSNL and MTNL.
8. Pankaj Kumar appointed as the new CEO of UIDAI
The government has selected Pankaj Kumar, IAS (NL87), as the new CEO of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). He is currently working as the Additional Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). The appointment was confirmed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI):
- Founded: 28 January 2009
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Ministry: Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY)
- Chairman: J. Satyanarayana