1. Designers of Urban wind turbine O-Wind Turbine, Nicolas Orellana of Chile and Yaseen Noorani from Kenya, won 2018 International James Dyson award
The prestigious International James Dyson award 2018 was won by Nicolas Orellana of Chile and Yaseen Noorani from Kenya for their innovative design ‘Urban wind turbine’ called O-Wind Turbine.
- It help cities to harness energy to produce electricity and was inspired from NASA’s Mars Tumbleweed Rover.
- It is a sphere shaped object with vents that spins and converts the power of the wind into electricity.
2. Tamil Nadu desires Rs.14,910 crore aid from Center
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami sought the aid of Rs.14,910 crore towards relief, permanent restoration and mitigation efforts in central districts of Tamil Nadu ravaged by Cyclone Gaja.
- The team led by Home ministry official Daniel E. Richard is to arrive in Chennai. The team is to visit the cyclone-affected areas.
- A sum of Rs.7,077 crore has been sought for permanent restoration work by the Electricity Department, which is working round the clock to install over one lakh electric poles.
3. WCCB won Asia Environment Enforcement Awards for combating trans boundary environmental crime
The Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) was selected for the Asia Environmental Enforcement Award 2018, for its outstanding contributions in combating the trans-boundary environmental crime by United Nations Environment program. WCCB is a statutory multi-disciplinary body established by the government under the Environment Ministry to combat organized wildlife crime in the country.
- This is the second time in a row that the awards are being given by UN Environment to India.
- WCCB’s enforcement officer RS Sharath was also selected for Asia Environmental Enforcement Awards 2018 under the individual category.
4. Karnataka State to introduce biometric attendance system in govt. colleges
Karnataka State is to introduce biometric attendance system in government colleges. The Biometric system of attendance will also be introduced in the colleges under Public Private Partnership(PPP) mode.
- The teachers and staff of the colleges running in shifts will have to perform the duty for minimum seven hours divided into shifts.
- Higher Education Minister Prem Prakash Pandey said that the decision has been taken on directives issued by the Chief Minister Raman Singh in a meeting of the Department.
5. Professor S.P. Ganguly conferred the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle, highest recognition to be given to a foreigner by Mexico
For the first time, the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle, the highest civilian honor given to a foreigner by Mexico, was awarded to Professor Shyama Prasad Ganguly in the India International Center (IIC).
- The award was in recognition of his “outstanding work in the study and dissemination of the Spanish language and Mexican culture”.
- He was decorated with the striking gold-yellow insignia by Mexican Ambassador Melba Pria.
6. Firhad Hakim to be the new Mayor of Kolkata Municipal Corporation
West Bengal Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim is set to be the new Mayor of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation. He was elected unanimously by the Councillors of the Trinamool Congress on November 22. The Councillors decided on his name in the presence of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- Mr.Hakim will be the first Muslim Mayor of KMC, founded in 1876, since Independence. The announcement of his candidature was preceded by the resignation of Sovan Chatterjee.
- The West Bengal Assembly passed The Kolkata Municipal Corporation (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018, to facilitate the election of a candidate who is not a Councillor of the city’s civic body as its Mayor.
7. Manipal Academy of Higher Education won silver in the International Green Apple Award for environmental best practice 2018
The Manipal Academy of Higher Education won silver in the International Green Apple Award for environmental best practice 2018 at a ceremony held at the Houses of Parliament in London.
- “The award recognizes MAHE’s sustainable educational campus, said Pro-Chancellor, Dr H Ballal.” Our focus has been on aspects like waste, water, green cover and clean energy measures.
- Segregation of solid wastes into wet, dry, hazardous, electronic, biomedical and employing appropriate treatment measures. Water recycling and reuse of sewage, tree planting, air quality monitoring, green IT, use of examination pads, solar heating etc are some of the measures that have helped the University to reduce carbon emissions to the tune of 66,100 metric tons of CO2e in the year 2017,” Dr Ballal added.
8. Joyce Msuya appointed as acting Executive Director of UNEP
Tanzanian biologist Joyce Msuya appointed as acting Executive Director of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) after the resignation of Erik Solheim.
- Erik Solheim resigned from the post of Executive director of UNEP following an internal audit report that said he had gobbled up $500,000 in unnecessary and budgeted travel expenses in just 22 months.
- Msuya Msuya previously worked with World Bank and she is consistently advocating for conservation of the planet.
9. WhatsApp appointed Abhijit Bose as India head, to set up team in Gurugram
Facebook-owned Messaging Company WhatsApp appointed Abhijit Bose, co-founder, and CEO of Payment device maker Ezetap as the head of WhatsApp India.
- Abhijit Bose who has 17 years of experience in product management, product development and product marketing with expertise in software and mobile market will join WhatsApp in early 2019 and he is going to build WhatsApp biggest team outside the USA in Gurugram.
- Bose and his team will focus on helping businesses, both large and small connect with their customers, said the company. In a statement, WhatsApp added that it is “deeply committed to India and is excited to keep building products that help people connect and support India’s fast-growing digital economy”.
10. Hockey captain Manpreet signed up with Adidas
This happened ahead of the season-ending World Cup to be played in Bhubaneswar from November 28 to December 16.
- He has conferred the Arjuna Award earlier in 2018.
- Manpreet, who was conferred the Arjuna Award earlier this year, led the Indian team to a bronze medal at the World League Final last year and contributed to the side’s success at the Asia Cup.