1. IndiGo Airlines appointed Ronojoy Dutta as its new CEO
IndiGo Airlines appointed global aviation professional Ronojoy Dutta as its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Mr.Ronojoy Dutta replaces the former CEO Aditya Ghosh. The place has been vacant after his resignation in April 2018. Mr. Dutta was president of United Airlines, where he worked for nearly twenty years. He has served on the boards of United Airlines, US Airways, and Marsico Trust Funds.
- Founded: 2005
- Parent company: Interglobe Aviation Ltd
- Headquarters: Gurgaon, India
- Co-founders: Rakesh Gangwal, Rahul Bhatia
- President: Aditya Ghosh
- Chairman: M. Damodaran
- CEO: Ronojoy Dutta
2. BMC budget around Rs.33,000 crore to be presented in February
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC),Maharashtra is likely to present a Rs.33,000 crore budget in the first week of February. However, the civic body is confident it will not have to dig into its fixed deposits (FDs).
- The projects like coastal road and sewage treatment plants have caused a 21% increase. While no new taxes are likely to be introduced, the BMC is counting on its capital receipts.
- The health department will get a sizeable chunk of the budget, around 14%, specifically because of the hospital revamp projects. On the other hand, revenue expenditure will also rise marginally because of the Seventh Pay Commission.
3. Ninth National Voters Day to be celebrated across country
9th National Voters’ Day will be celebrated across the country today for enhanced participation of citizens in the electoral process.
- The National Awards for the Best Electoral Practices will be conferred on Officers for their outstanding performance in the conduct of elections.
- President Ram Nath Kovind will be the Chief Guest at the main function being organized by Election Commission in New Delhi.
4. T.N. government signed 304 MoUs at the second edition of Global Investors Meet
The second edition of Global Investors Meet (GIM) 2019was held at Chennai, Tamil Nadu. The T.N. government signed 304 Memoranda of Understanding and agreements entailing investments to the tune of over Rs.3,00,431 crore at GIM-2.
About Global Investors Meet (GIM):
- The first edition happened on 2015 at Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- The Second edition was held at Chennai
- This summit is to showcase the competitive strengths and opportunities in Tamil Nadu
5. ISRO successfully launched Microsat R into space
Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) first mission of 2019, Microsat-R, was successfully launched into space on 24th January 2019. PSLV-C44 was launched from the older First Launch Pad at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh. The 130-kg Microsat-R is a military imaging satellite.
- Microsat-R and its payload come assembled from a handful of laboratories of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and is meant for military use.
- ISRO also used this launch as an opportunity to demonstrate the usability of the fourth stage of the rocket after the satellites are ejected into orbit. This would enable any agency that wants to conduct experiments in space to use the fourth stage till it disintegrates naturally. The fourth stage of the rocket may be orbiting in space for six months to a year. ISRO is aiming to use this time-frame to enable agencies to run short time experiments. Mr. Sivan asked students in India to develop such satellites and ISRO would take care of the launch.
6. Piyush Goyal named as Interim Finance Minister
President of India appointed Piyush Goyal as the interim finance and corporate affairs minister because of Arun Jaitely’s health issues.
- Piyush Goyal’s tenure as an interim Finance Minister will be till August 2019.
- Jaitley will be designated as a minister without a portfolio during his period of indisposition.
- Being the interim finance and corporate affair minister, he will present the budget on February.
7. Worlds longest 3D printed concrete bridge opened in china
World’s longest 3D printed concrete bridge was opened in China.
- It is located on the Wenzaobang River in Shanghai.
- The Bridge is designed by Professor Xy Weiguo from Tsinghua University in China.
- The bridge is of 26.3 metre-long and 3.6-metre-wide and is made out of 44 hollowed-out 3D printed concrete blocks.
8. Fifteenth Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas Convention held in Varanasi Uttar Pradesh
The celebration of 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was commenced in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. Prime Minister of Mauritius, Mr. Pravind Jugnauth was the chief Guest of Convention.
- The theme of this year’s Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) convention was “Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India”.
- PM inaugurates Centers of Excellence at Deen Dayal Hastkala Sankul in Varanasi and released two books which are “Kashi: The Universe of Crafts and Textiles” and “Indian Textiles: History, splendor, Grandeur”.
9. Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurates National Declamations Contest on Patriotism and nation building
Minister of state of Youth Affairs and Sports (Independent Charge) Rajyavardhan Rathore inaugurates National declamation contest on Patriotism and nation-building.
- It was organized by Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKC) along with Department of Youth affairs.
- The contest has been conducting since 2015-16.
- The main aim is to further strengthen the spirit of nationalism in youth and wholehearted participation in nation-building.
- It will enable the government to take lead in understanding the functions and policies of the government towards nation building.