1. Arunachal govt declares Pakke Hornbill Fest as ‘state festival’
The government of Arunachal Pradesh declared the Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival (PPHF), as a “state festival”.
- The first-ever PPHF was held on January 16–18, 2015. It is the only conservation festival of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Arunachal Pradesh Forest Department will fund the festival from 2020 and permanent infrastructure will be constructed for the festival ground.
2. Short film ‘Period. End of Sentence’ gets Oscars nomination
“Period. End of Sentence”, an India set the film on the taboos around menstruation and featuring the real ‘Pad Man‘, has made it to the Oscar nomination.
- The film has made it to the top five nominees of the Documentary Short Subject category.
- The film is about a woman in India fighting against the deeply rooted stigma of menstruation.
- The film is produced by Guneet Monga and is co-produced by Monga’s Sikhya Entertainment.
3. Government institutes Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar
The government has instituted an annual award titled Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar.
- On 23rd January, it will be announced every year, the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose. The Award carries a certificate and a cash prize of 51 lakh rupees.
- This year, 8th Battalion of National Disaster Response Force located at Ghaziabad has been selected for the Award for its commendable work in disaster management.
- The award has been instituted to acknowledge the contribution and selfless service of organizations and individuals to humanity in the aftermath of any disaster.
4. Dharmendra Pradhan launched new reforms, guidelines to strengthen Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS)
In a bid to boost skill training and entrepreneurship in the remotest corners of the country, Dharmendra Pradhan announced comprehensive reforms for Jan Shikshan Sansthan, to further strengthen the skills ecosystem benefiting those in the underprivileged sections of society.
- National Conference for Jan Shikshan Sansthan is being held in New Delhi.
- Formerly under the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Jan Shikshan Sansthan has been transferred to the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship in 2018.
- Earlier known as ShramikVidyapeeth and later renamed Jan Shikshan Sansthan in April 2000, the scheme has been successfully working for the past 50 years.
5. South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa to be Chief Guest at R-Day Parade
South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa will be the Chief Guest at the Republic Day Parade. He is the second President of South Africa after Nelson Mandela to be the Chief Guest at the parade.
- President Ramaphosa will be accorded ceremonial welcome at Rashtrapati Bhawan Friday morning.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Ramaphosa will hold delegation level talks on bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest.
- Both the leaders will also address the India-South Africa Business Forum today with the objective to grow business ties between the two countries.
6. President Ram Nath Kovind to address the nation on 70th Republic Day
President Ram Nath Kovind will address the nation today on the eve of the 70th Republic Day.
- The address will be broadcast from 7 PM on the entire national network of All India Radio and telecast over all channels of Doordarshan in Hindi followed by the English version.
- AIR will broadcast regional language versions from 9:30 PM onwards on its respective regional networks
7. Johan Botha Announces Retirement From Cricket
Former South Africa all-rounder Johan Botha announced his immediate retirement from all forms of Cricket.
- Botha played for South Africa in 5 test matches, 78 one-day internationals, and 40 T20 Internationals from 2005 to 2012.
- Botha captained the Proteas in 10 ODIs and took the team to the No. 1 ranking after they defeated Australia 4-1 in Australia in 2009.
- He captained South Africa in 21 matches across ODI and T20I cricket for 16 victories between 2008 and 2012.
8. MGU to receive Rs.50 crore under RUSA scheme
Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, has been granted Rs.50 crore under the Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan scheme as a major boost to its research and academic programmes.
- The university was among the 16 institutions shortlisted by the Centre to bestow the grant. The primary objective of the RUSA scheme is to improve the overall standard of state-funded institutions and to ensure that that they are run according to global standards.
- Of the grant, Rs.15 crore is being allotted for enhancing the efficiency of its student start-up, employability and career hub programmes by launching innovative projects in association with 500 select industrial units. The remaining amount will be spent on initiating research jointly with foreign universities.
9. Sultan Abdullah elected as New Malaysian King
Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah was elected as Malaysia’s new king by the members of the country’s royal families.
- The 59-year-old was earlier appointed the Sultan of the Malaysian state of Pahang.
- The appointment was confirmed by the Keeper of the Rulers’ Seal.
10. Tamil Nadu State government bagged awards for BBBP scheme
The Tamil Nadu State government bagged two awards for its performance pertaining to the Union government’s Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme at the National Girl Child Day celebrations in New Delhi. Maneka Gandhi, Minister for Women and Child Development, presented the awards. While one award was for the State’s performance, the other was for Tiruvannamalai district.
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi gave away the awards to the selected districts and States.
- Principal Secretary to the State government, K. Manivasan, received the State award while Tiruvannamalai District Collector K.S. Kandasamy received the district-level award from the Union Minister.
11. Collector B.Lakshmikantham has been selected for the Best Electoral Practices Award
Vijayawada’s Krishna District Collector B. Lakshmikantham has been selected for the ‘Best Electoral Practices Award’ to be presented by Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan during national voters’day celebrations in the city.
- The district registered 2,54, 576, a record number of new voters in September and October last year following various voter awareness campaigns under the Systematic Voter’s Education and Electoral Participation initiative.
- As on September 1, the number of voters was 30.51 lakh. Krishna was the only district in the country to achieve this in short span and has now over 33.03 lakh voters enrolled with the Election Commission of India against 46 lakh population. The district also crossed the ideal electoral population ratio.
12. Telangana Women and Child Welfare Department organized National Girl Child Day
Telangana Women and Child Welfare Department and IMA jointly organized the occasion of National Girl Child Day on 24th January 2019.
- Collector M. Ram Mohan Rao, in his speech, said discrimination against girls/women persists at many places, despite the changes that the society has been witnessing in recent times. He also said women were at the helm of affairs in several fields, fighting discrimination at all levels. New opportunities must be created for women in all fields.
- The Media Unit of the Ministry is actively engaged in generating awareness in the country about issues concerning the women and children by giving wide publicity to the policies, programmes and developmental activities formulated and implemented by the Ministry.