1. India Ranked 52nd in Global Innovation Index 2019 Commerce and Industry Minister launched Global Innovation Index Rankings
Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Railways Shri Piyush Goyal has launched the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2019 in New Delhi
- In order to achieve this ranking, he urged all stakeholders to work in mission mode.
- In 2019, from 57th position to 52nd position, India made a five-point jump.
India has continued its efforts to reach the top 50 ranks in GII
- India will not rest on the previous laurels, unless it achieves its goal in the top 25 countries of the Global Innovation Index.
2. Virat Kohli retains number one spot in ICC Test rankings
International Cricket Council released the latest rankings of teams and players in the different categories.
The players are
(i) Men’s Team Rankings:
- India – Topped the Test Team Rankings.
- England – Topped the One Day International Team Rankings.
- Pakistan – Topped the T20 International Team Rankings.
(ii) Men’s Batting Rankings:
- Virat Kohli (India) – Topped the Test Batting Rankings.
- Virat Kohli (India) – Topped the ODI Batting Rankings.
- Babar Azam (Pakistan)– Topped the T20I Batting Rankings.
(iii) Men’s Bowling Rankings:
- Pat Cummins (Australia) – Topped the Test Bowling Rankings.
- Jasprit Bumrah (India) – Topped the ODI Bowling Rankings
- Rashid Khan (Afghanistan) – Topped the T20I Bowling Rankings.
(iv) Men’s All-Rounder Rankings:
- Jason Holder (West Indies) – Topped the Test All-Rounder Rankings.
- Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) – Topped the ODI All-Rounder Rankings.
- Glenn Maxwell (Australia) – Topped the T20I All-Rounder Rankings.
3. Jute material like plastic developed in Bangladesh
Bangladesh’s scientists developed a method of converting jute fiber named Sonali into a low cost biodegradable cellulose sheet.
- It is used to wrap the material with a carry bag.
- Mubarak Ahmed Khan Bangladesh Jute Mills Corporation (BJMC) developed new ‘Sonali’
- It shows the physical properties of invented jute fibers and the plastic is quite similar.
- Eco-friendly jute poly bags made by Sonali can be used in the work of clothing and food packaging.
- Commercial production of these bags is likely to be started by the end of the year. The Bangladesh government approved $ 9 million in April to help mass production of these bags.
- The main challenge in adopting a large number of Sonali Sheet is a relatively high cost of production, which is almost twice as much as polythene.
4. Rajya Sabha cleared the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill, 2019 on 24 July
The Rajya Sabha has cleared the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (POCSO Bill) on 24 July.
The bill will now be sent to the Lok Sabha for its approval. The bill was introduced by the Ministry of Women and Child Development. It was sponsored by Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani.
Provisions of the Bill:
- The Bill grants the death penalty to the culprits for sexual assault on children. It also proposes strict punishments for other crimes that are committed against children.
- The Bill also aims to check the increasing cases of child sexual abuse. The Act imposes fines and imprisonment to restraint child pornography.
5. NPCI relates to JCB for Global RuPay Card
The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and JCB International, along with domestic banks has launched RuPay JCB Global Cards.
- The Banks including State Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Central Bank of India, Andhra Bank, City Union Bank, Axis Bank, Union Bank of India, and TJSB Bank issue these cards
- These cards will be accepted in India at all POS terminals and ATMs.
- NPCI signed with Discover for international cards.
- They started its card business in 1961
- They reached at globel level in 1981.
- There are some concerns about the industry and these are being discussed in some forums.
6. Kumaraswamy left as Karnataka CM after Cong-JD(S) govt falls
On July 23, Amid the political crisis in the state, Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy has resigned from the post after meeting Governor Vajubhai Vala.
- The JDS-Congress coalition lost the trust vote in Karnataka assembly. BJP got the floor test with the support of 105 MLAs. Kumaraswamy has submitted his resignation to Governor Vajubhai Vala.
- Vala accepted Kumaraswamy’s resignation and asked him to continue as the caretaker CM “until alternative arrangements are made”.
7. RBI selected Kanungo to run monetary policy portfolio
The RBI appointed Deputy Governor BP Kanungo to run the monetary policy portfolio after the resignation of fellow Deputy Governor Viral Acharya.
Kanungo, who will maintain his currency management portfolio, will become the sixth member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
Monetary policy is the process by which the monetary authority of a country, typically the central bank or currency board, controls either the cost of very short-term borrowing or the money supply, often targeting inflation or the interest rate to ensure price stability and general trust in the currency.
8. IAS Ajay Kumar Bhalla elected as OSD in MHA
IAS officer Ajay Kumar Bhalla was appointed as Officer on Special Duty in the Ministry of Home Affairs with immediate effect.
- IAS officer Subhash Chandra Garg, who was Secretary in Department of Economic Affairs in Finance Ministry will now work as the Power Secretary.
- Senior IAS officer Atanu Chakraborty appointed as Secretary in Department of Economic Affairs.
- The appointments confirmed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- IAS officer Anshu Prakash will now serve his service as the Secretary in Department of Telecommunications in the Ministry of Communications.
9. Priti Patel elected Britain’s 1st Indian-origin Home Secretary
Indian origin Priti Patel has been appointed as the country Home Secretary by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
- She grew the first Indian-origin home secretary.
- Ms. Patel, an ardent Brexiteer was among the most vocal critics of Theresa May’s Brexit strategy.
- The 47-year-old leader was first elected as a Conservative MP in 2010 and gained prominence in the then David Cameron led Tory government as his Indian Diaspora Champion.
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has delivered a Chetak helicopter that is scheduled to the Indian Navy. The documents are handed over by S Anbuvelan, General Manager of Helicopter Division-HAL to Commodore Vikram Menon, VSM, CSO(Air), HQNA at an event held at HAL facilities. They entered into a contract with the Indian Navy in August of 2017. It is used for the supply of eight Chetak helicopters with the delivery schedule of the first two in August 2019 and the rest in August 2020. The helicopters are fitted with the latest communication and navigation systems The company is committed to providing continuous support to the Chetak fleet.HAL and the Indian Navy have shared a long fruitful relationship.
11. New India-UK bilateral scheme originated on Pilot basis
New India-UK bilateral scheme has been launched on Pilot
- The UKEIRI Mobility Programme began on a pilot basis to support Britain’s universities to collaborate with Indian partners to facilitate the United Kingdom (UK) students to visit India during their studies.
- UKERI stands for ‘UK-India Education Research Initiative’.