1. Qu Dongyu, the first Chinese to head national FAO
China’s agricultural deputy minister, Qu Dongyu (55) named as the new director general of the United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) at Rome, Italy for a period of 4 years w.e.f. August 2019. He will succeed Brazil’s Jose Graziano da Silva.
- He won 108 votes, followed by Catherine Geslain-Laneelle of France (the first woman to run for the post, a former head of the European Food Safety Authority) with 71 votes and Georgia’s Davit Kirvalidze(a former agriculture minister) with 12 votes in the first round of voting.
- The election held as the fight to eradicate world hunger is threatened by global warming and wars, as FAO has sounded the alarm over rising food insecurity and high levels of malnutrition.
- He is also required to put policies in place now in preparation for feeding a world population which is expected to increase from 7.7 billion people to 9.7 billion in 2050.
- Qu, a biologist by training, has 30 years experience, will have to support for small-holder farms and fisheries to combat the ills of intensive farming, food waste, and poverty.
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
- Founded: 16 October 1945
2. Vinit Goenka hedges new book titled “Data Sovereignty – The Pursuit of Supremacy”
The book, “Function of Data Sovereignty – The Pursuit of Supremacy” written by Vinit Goenka, Author, Secretary
- He is a member of the Governing Council- CRIS (Centre for Railway Information Systems) and Ministry of Railways.
- The book focuses on steps and concrete actions required to build highly capable data centers to ensure data security.
- The book tells aspect of data generation and consumption
- It encouraged policymakers on data localization and creates awareness among the people on the potential of data and implications of data.
3. Government will launch the Universal Smart Card Driving License
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has decided to modify the format of driving licenses to smart card type driving licenses.
- Ministry has prescribed a common standard format and design of the Driving Licence for the whole of the country.
- This Ministry, through its flagship application called SARATHI developed by NIC, has a common countrywide database of all driving license holders.
- The SARATHI application has the feature to identify duplicate records online in real time and access information about the challans if any.
4. Indian women’s hockey team overcame FIH Series
Indian Women’s Hockey team won the FIH (Fédération Internationale de Hockey). He defeated Japan 3-1 in the finals held at the Hiroshima Hockey Stadium, Japan.
- Indian team Captain Rani Rampal scored the first goal in the 3rd minute and Gurjit Kaur scored goals at the 45th and 60th minutes.
- Japan’s Kanon Mori scored the goal for the team.
- Gurjit Kaur emerged as World No. 9 Indian team qualified for the FIH Olympic Qualifiers 2019
About FIH/ International
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Narinder Batra
- Founded: 7 January 1924
5. The code name of Balakot strike was “Operation Bandar”
The air strike by the Indian Air Force (IAF) on a terrorist training camp in Balakot, Pakistan, was code-named “Operation Bandar”.
- It was IAF’s first strike inside Pakistan since the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
- The airstrikes were conducted 12 days after the terror outfit claimed responsibility for a suicide attack on a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) convoy in Kashmir.
- IAF had deployed 12 Mirage 2000 fighter jets for the attack.
- The two pilots launched Israeli-made Spice 2000 satellite-guided bombs at the target.
6. No-confidence motion against Speaker to be taken up on July 1
DMK president M.K. Stalin proposed a motion of no-confidence against Mr. Dhanapal for the issue of three AIADMK legislators should not be disqualified with AMMK leader T.T.V. Dhinakaran.
- The three MLAs E. Rathinasabapathy (Aranthangi constituency), V.T. Kalaiselvan (Vriddhachalam) and A. Prabhu (Kallakurichi) approached the Supreme Court.
- The Assembly will be back to its largest number of members in the House.
- The Nanguneri MLA H. Vasanthakumar winning the Lok Sabha polls left two constituencies vacant.
- The AIADMK has 122 MLA The DMK 100, the Congress seven and the IUML and T.T.V. Dhinakaran is the lone independent MLA.
7. World Bank approved $147 Million Loan to the Government of Jharkhand
The Government of India, the Government of Jharkhand and the World Bank, signed a $147 Million Loan Agreement.
- The agreement has been signed to provide basic urban services to the people of Jharkhand and help improve the management capacity of the urban local bodies (ULBs) in the State.
- The Jharkhand Municipal Development Project will focus on improving the municipal sector’s capacity to provide basic urban services.
- It will invest in urban services such as water supply, sewerage, drainage, and urban roads; and strengthen the capacity of the Jharkhand Urban Infrastructure Development Company (JUIDCO) as well as that of the ULBs to carry out reforms in the areas of urban finance and governance.
8. India’s junior women’s team secured best in Black Forest Cup
In Boxing, India’s junior women pugilists clinched seven medals, including five gold, while the team was adjudged the best of the tournament in the Black Forest Cup in Villingen, Schwenningen, Germany.
- Haryana’s Neha (54kg) and Karnataka’s Anju Devi (50kg) claimed the honours of best boxer and promising player of the tournament.
- Ten countries including India, Lithuania, Mongolia, Greece, Ukraine, Germany, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Hungary, and Poland took part in this tournament.
9. SBI plans to consume Singapore SME businesses
The State Bank of India is planning to expand its market in Singapore by enhancing its relationship across small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
- The SBI has served the Singapore retail and corporate sectors as a qualified full bank since 2008.
- It has six branches and offering ATM services under the ATM5 network across the island state and two remittance centers.
- The SBI plans to offer its YONO app, an omnichannel service at the fingertip, to manage a wide range of financial services here.
- During his visit to Singapore on May 31, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched three Indian apps – BHIM, Rupay and SBI app – at a ‘Business, Innovation and Community Event’.
10. Odisha CM delivers Flood Hazard Atlas for effective management of flood
The State Government of Odisha released a Flood Hazard Atlas for efficient management of flood in the state by the Odisha Chief Minister (CM) Naveen Patnaik.
This is jointly prepared by the National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC) of ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) and Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDAMA) to analyzing data relating to flood from 2001 to 2018.