1. Shri Dharmendra Pradhan launched the commencement of work for 10th City Gas Distribution
Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Steel Dharmendra Pradhan has started the commencement of work for 10th City Gas Distribution (CGD). They will cover 50 Geographical Areas (GAs) in 124 districts. On 1st March 2019, he shared Letters of Intent to 12 successful bidders of the round. After the completion of the 10th round, over 70% of the country’s population and 52.73% of the area will be covered under the CGD. As per the minimum work program licensed by the PNGRB for the 10th round, 2.02 crore PNG domestic connections will be granted, 3578 CNG stations will open, and 0.58 lakh Inch-km steel pipeline will be laid.
City Gas Distribution (CGD)
- About 5 lakh crore rupees are being invested in gas infrastructure which covers distribution, marketing, exploration, regasification, pipeline network laying.
- Domestic gas production was 32.87 billion cubic meters in 2018-19 and Expected to reach 39.3 billion cubic meters in 2020-21. LNG terminal capacity of 38.8 MMTPA augmented to 52.5 MMTPA in next 3-4 years. Long term contracts were signed for importing LNG, and its sources are being diversified. The gas grid presently is 16,788 km, and work is in progress for additional 14,788 km.
- Ethanol blending in petrol increased from 1% to 6%, and we would have to take it to 20%.
2. Seventh Community Radio Sammelan to be scheduled in Delhi from 27 to 29 August
From 27th to 29th August 2019, Seventh Community Radio Sammelan is to be scheduled at Dr. BR Ambedkar Bhawan, New Delhi. It is placed by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting will witness the participation of all operational Community Radio Stations across the country.
- The theme of 2019’s Sammelan is ‘Community Radio for SDGs’. The representatives of the Community Radio Stations will discuss experiences and possibilities of programming for better public awareness on the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The Sammelan witness discussion on various flagship schemes of the Government like the Jal Shakti Abhiyaan and efforts for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Union Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar will confer awards to Community Radio Stations for their achievements in broadcasting development programs in various genres covering Promotion of Local Culture, Community Engagement Awards, Most Creative and Innovative Content, among others.
3. Banjari village of Katni district in MP will become an integral part of the digital map of the country
Prime Minister’s initiative among the of Digital India is the Banjari village of Katni district to become an integral part of the digital map of the country grows the 1st village in Madhya Pradesh(MP).
- The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEiTY) got the Digital Village Project. It has proposed to build 1000 digital villages across India in this phase starting from Banjari Gram Panchayat of MP.
- The project renders connectivity in every village & bridge the digital gap between rural and urban areas of the country.
- Akodara village of Sabarkantha district of Gujarat is the first digital village in India.
- The MEiTY planned to build one lakh digital villages of this kind in the next 5 years.
4. Microsoft and Indian School of Business (ISB) signed MoU to set up AI Digital Lab
IT(Information Technology) company, Microsoft and Indian School of Business (ISB) have signed an MoU(memorandum of understanding) powered by PlatiFi technologies (a Microsoft partner). It is to set up an AI Digital Lab to study issues that are relevant for business and public policy. The duo will also offer an executive 3-day nontechnical program titled “Leading Business Transformation in the Age of AI”, which will hit start on October 2019, would equip business leaders with tools and strategies to transform their respective organizations to AI(Artificial Intelligence)-driven organizations.
- Founded: April 4, 1975
- Founders: Bill Gates
5. Intel launched its first artificial intelligence chip Spring Hill
Intel Corporation launched its latest processor, it’s first using artificial intelligence (AI), designed for large computing centers.
- The chip, developed at its development facility in Haifa, Israel, is known as Nervana NNP-I or Springhill is based on a 10 nanometre Ice Lake processor will allow it to cope with high workloads using minimal amounts of energy.
- The Spring Hill processor is based on a 10-nanometer Ice Lake architecture. It will allow it to cope with high workloads using minimal amounts of energy.
- Facebook already started using the product.
- CEO: Robert H. Swan (21 Jun 2018–)
- Founders: Gordon Moore, Robert Noyce
6. Bumrah graced the first Asian to pick fifers in SA, Eng, Aus & WI
India pacer, Jasprit Bumrah sprang to the record books by becoming the first Asian bowler to grab a five-wicket haul in South Africa, England, Australia and West Indies, all in his first tour to all these countries.
- Bumrah’s magical figures of 5/7 are also the cheapest five-for by an India bowler.
- Recently, Jasprit Bumrah grows up as the quickest Indian fast bowler to 50 wickets in Test cricket.
7. Sumit Nagal became first Indian to win a set against Roger Federer
Sumit Nagal has become the first Indian to win a set against Roger Federer.
- Nagal achieved the feat during his first-round match against Federer in the ongoing US Open as he outclassed him in the first set.
- He had become the youngest Indian in 25 years to qualify for the main draw of a Grand Slam by defeated Brazil’s Jaao Menezes 5-7, 6-4, 6-3.
- He ended up losing the match 6-4, 1-6,2-6,4-6 against Federer and had earlier won the Wimbledon Boys’ doubles title in 2015.
8. Country’s first woman DGP Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya died
The first woman Director General of Police (DGP), Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, passes away following an illness.
- Bhattachary, a 1973 batch IPS officer, made history when she was elected the DGP of Uttarakhand in the year 2004.
- She withdrew as the DGP on October 31, 2007.
- After retirement, she took a plunge into politics by contesting the 2014 Lok Sabha elections on an Aam Aadmi Party’s ticket from Haridwar constituency.
9. Karnataka receives 3 Deputy CM and 17 ministers in its Cabinet
Karnataka chief minister B.S.Yediyurappa appointed three deputy chief ministers and inducted seventeen Ministers. The Deputy Chief Minister appointed are:
- Mudhol Govind Karajol (68) who is a five-time MLA
- Dr. C.N. Ashwath Narayan (51) MLA from Malleswaram
- Athani Lakshman Savadi (59) who is a three-time MLA
Roles and Duties:
- Govind Karjol will be in command of PWD and Social welfare
- Ashwath Narayan will control the portfolio of Higher Education, IT & BT, Science and Technology
- Laxman Savadi will bring out the duties in the Transport department.