1. BIMSTEC Day observed in Dhaka
Regional Group of 7 countries of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) members celebrated BIMSTEC Day in Dhaka.
- Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dr. A K Abdul Momen was the chief guest of the program.
- Acting High Commissioner Biswadip De represented India in this event.
- BIMSTEC members are country- Bangladesh, India, Thailand, Nepal, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, and Bhutan.
2. Amitabh Kant got an extension of two years as Nitish’s CEO
Amitabh Kant was given a two-year extension as Chief Executive Officer of NITI Aayog.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the expansion of Mr. Kant’s tenure for two years beyond 30th June 2017, i.e. up to 30th June 2021, on the same rules and conditions.
About NITI Aayog
- The NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India) is a policy think tank of the Government of India.
- Chairman: Narendra Modi
- Vice Chairman: Rajiv Kumar
3. Samant Goel appointed as new RAW chief
Samanta Goyal, IPS officer of Punjab Cadre, has been selected as the new Chief of Research and Analysis Wing.
- Mr. Goyal played an important role in planning the February 2019 Balakot air strike and the 2016 surgical strike.
- Also, Assam Cadre IPS officer Arvind Kumar will be the new Director of Intelligence Bureau.
- Arvind Kumar is known as the Specialist of the Kashmir Government.
4. IOA and FIH chief Batra selected IOC member
Indian Olympic Association President Narinder Batra was elected as a member of the International Olympic Committee.
- He got 58 out of 62 votes while four voted against him.
- His election is related to his work in the National Olympic Committee – which is the President of the IOA.
- While leading the International Federation of Nations along with the National Olympic Committee, Batra now has a rare distinction to become a member of the IOC. They are the first Indians to achieve this glory.
5. RBI has asked the public to continue accepting coins of various denominations
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has told the public that they continue to accept coins of various denominated streams regularly. RBI keeps the coins circulated by the Central Government.
- The RBI said that there are specific characteristics of coins that are being presented from time to time with various topics like economic, social and cultural, so that the needs of the public can be met. At present, coins of different sizes, themes, and designs are in circulation, 50 paise, 1, ₹2, ₹5 and of 10.
- Due to frequent complaints of non-acceptance of coins by bank branches, the RBI has asked all the banks not to leave those customers who come to exchange coins in their branches.
Doubts in the reality of coins:
Since the coins remain in circulation for a long time, hence the coins of different designs and shapes are transmitted at the same time. There is a doubt about the reality of such coins among public skeptics, which resulted in some traders, shopkeepers, and members of the public disinterested in accepting coins. It has stopped free usage and circulation of coins in some parts of the country.
6. The next British PM will be announced on July 23
The British government has announced that the next Prime Minister and the leader of the UK’s ruling convention will be announced on July 23.
- Former Foreign Minister Boris Johnson and Britain’s current top diplomat, Jeremy Hunt, was elected from the constituency of 10 by 313 MPs of the Conservative Party, and is now trying to woo the estimated 160,000 party members, who will make the final choice.
- A postal ballot will be sent between July 6 and 8. The deadline to return them has been fixed at 5 p.m. on 22nd July. The next leader of the Conservative Party is expected to be announced on July 23.
7. Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Day is celebrated on 27th June
United Nations celebrates June 27 as a micro, small and medium-sized enterprise day.
- Micro, Small and Medium-sized businesses celebrated this day as the identities of their work in local and global economies.
- These enterprises, which generally employ less than 250 persons, are the backbone of most economies worldwide.
- International Trade Center, United Nations launched its flagship report: “SME Competitiveness Outlook 2019: Big Money for Small Businesses”.
- The General Assembly invites all member countries, organizations of the United Nations Organization and other international and regional organizations.
- It involves the following day in accordance with the right to non-governmental organizations, academics, individuals and other relevant stakeholders and according to national celebrities.
8. Sofia Kenin won the Mallorca Open Title 2019
Sofia Kenin of the United States won the Mallorca Open Title 2019.
- Belinda Bencic of Switzerland with 6-7 (2), 7-6 (5), 6-4 points in the finals.
- This was her second WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) singles title of the season.
- The 4th edition of the tournament was held at Santa Ponsa Tennis Club in Mallorca, Spain.
About Mallorca Open Title 2019
- Runner-up: Switzerland Belinda Bencic
- Champion: United States Sofia Kenin
9. Head of Amazon India, Amit Agarwal elected as the Chairman of IAMAI
Amit Agrawal, Senior Vice President and Country Head of Amazon India has been nominated as the new Chairman of the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
- He replaces Rajan Anandan
- He was formerly Managing Director of Google India (MD).
- Dhruv Shringi, co-founder and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Yatra appointed as vice president of IAMA.
- He makes the maker of MakeMyTrip and Team CEO Deep Kalra a success.
Satyam Gajwani, Vice President of Times Internet, was appointed as the new Treasurer of IAMAI.
- Subho Ray continues to be the President of Association.
- The term of the new council is 2 years
10. Malayalam film ‘Veyilmarangal’ won an award at Shanghai International film festival
At the 22nd Shanghai International Film Festival, Director Bijukumar Damodaran won the Outstanding Artistic Achievement Award for the film, “Veyil Marangal (Trees Under the Sun)”.
- This is for the first Indian film to win a major award at the festival.
- This film is one of the 3,964 entries presented from 112 countries in the prestigious Golden Goblet Award competition.
- The jury chairperson at the Fest was the Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan.
About Shanghai International Film Festival
- Location: Shanghai, China
- Awards: Golden Goblet