1. Madhya Pradesh announced ‘Yuva Swabhiman Yojana’ for poor urban youth
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath announced the launch of the ‘Yuva Swabhiman Yojana’ for youths from the economically weaker sections in urban areas.
- Under this scheme, 100 days of employment will be provided to youths from economically weaker sections in urban areas.
They will also be given skill training
- The urban poor youth are left out as those in rural areas get employment under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA). This scheme will effectively cover urban youth.
2. World’s biggest cyclotron
The Swasth Bharat Yatra, the world’s biggest cyclotron to push people to eat right, culminating in New Delhi.
- The campaign was flagged-off on 16th October last year on the occasion of World Food Day.
- The yatra began from six different locations – Leh, Panaji, Thiruvananthapuram, Puducherry, Kolkata and Agartala on six different tracks.
- This yatra is a part of the Eat Right India movement.
3. ‘Swasth Bharat Yatra’ culminates in Delhi
India ranks 6th in GDPR readiness index
- India ranked sixth leading nation globally in the GDPR readiness index, according to latest ranking released by global networking leader Cisco.
- Nearly 65 percent of Indian organizations are better prepared for the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- The GDPR focused on increasing protection for EU residents’ privacy and personal data came into force in May 2018.
4. ICAR’s ‘Kisan Gandhi’ tableau wins first prize at R-Day parade
The ICAR tableau in the Republic Day Parade has won the first prize for its Kisan Gandhi theme.
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research tableau with the theme “Mishrit Kheti, Khushiyon Ki Kheti” portrayed Gandhi with goats and a cow and Kasturba engaged with charkha and caring animals. The tableau showcased a view from Bapu Kuti at Wardha Ashram.
- Tripura bagged the first prize for the state tableau while tableau from Jammu and Kashmir was adjudged the second and Punjab won the third prize.
5. Home Minister N.Chinarajappa inaugurated a centralized call center
Home Minister N.Chinarajappa inaugurated a centralized call center in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh.
- He also launched a website (www.saukaryam.in) that were developed as part of a pilot project for the Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas (MEPMA) by Malireddi Charitable Trust.
- Mr. Chinarajappa exuded confidence that the website would become a platform for job seekers. MEPMA coordinator Srinivas and project coordinator Satya were present.
6. Nandyal Municipal submitted the budget of Rs.200 crore financial year
Desam Sulochana, Chairperson Nandyal Municipal, Andhra Pradesh, has introduced a budget of Rs.200 crore for the 2019-2020 financial year.
- The announcement comes after the municipal council budget meeting held at Kurnool. The chairperson said that she met Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu when he came to Dibaguntla for the survey.
- For the development of Nandyal city, Rs.1,000 crore was spent on roads, traffic signals, parks, and canals works. She also said that it is her good fortune to be elected as the first female municipal chairperson.
7. The University of Madras received Rs.50 crore from MHRD
The University of Madras has received Rs.50 crore from the Ministry of Human Resource Development. The grant of Rs.50 crore is under phase 2 of the Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan scheme. The grant is for research, innovation and quality improvement in the University.
- A total of 10 universities belonging to category I will get Rs.100 crore and 17 universities falling into category II will receive a fund of Rs.50 crore. Among the grant, Rs.15 crore will be used for improving employment opportunities of students and entrepreneurship development.
- The rest, Rs.35 crore, will be used for innovative research and collaboration with a top foreign university.
8. CIAL donated Rs.10 crore to Chief Ministers Distress Relief Fund
Cochin International Airport Limited has donated Rs.10 crore to the Chief Minister’s Distress Relief Fund. The Kerala State Govt. has initiated an effort to rebuild the flood-hit state under the Chief Minister’s Distress Relief Fund. The CIAL Managing Director V.J. Kurian handed over the cheque to Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
Chief Minister’s Distress Relief Fund is an emergency assistance release mechanism granting immediate relief to families and individuals distressed by calamity, loss of life due to accidents and chronic diseases.
Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL):
- Airport type: Public
- Location: Kerala
- Established on: June 1999
- The 4th busiest airport in India
- Managing Director: V.J.Kurian
9. PM inaugurated Kochi refinery
PM Narendra Modi inaugurated an integrated refinery expansion complex of the public sector Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) at the Kochi Refinery, Kerala. Petrochemical complex, BPCL Kochi refinery is a Make in India initiative. It is aimed at reducing dependence on imports.
About Kochi Refinery:
- Industry type: Public Sector
- Headquarters: Kochi, India
- Founded on: April 1963
- Parent: Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- It is the largest public sector refinery in India with a production capacity of 15.5 million tons per annum (MMTPA)
- India has 18 public sector refineries and five refineries in the private sector/or as a joint venture
Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas:
Ministry responsible: Dharmendra Pradhan
The Ministry is responsible for the exploration, production, refining, distribution, marketing, import, export, and conservation of petroleum, natural gas, petroleum products, and liquefied natural gas in India
10. Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh appointed as Regional Director WHO SOUTHEAST Asia
Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh appointed Regional Director for World Health Organization South-East Asia, for a second five-year term.
- Her second term of office will begin on 1 February 2019.
- She is the first woman to become Regional Director of WHO South-East Asia Region
- The previous year, Thailand became the first in Asia-Pacific to eliminate mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis.
11. Chief Minister Patnaik launched Rs.1,100 crore Infra projects in Ganjam district
Shri Naveen Patnaik laid the foundation stone for 231 projects worth Rs 715 crore and inaugurated 48 projects in the Ganjam District of Odisha.
- Some of the Major Projects inaugurated by Naveen Patnaik are a 10-bedded geriatric ward (Rs 40 crore), bleaching store (Rs 29.64 crore), district vaccine store (Rs 79 crore) and Construction of OPD for eye department at the district headquarter hospital and city hospital.
- Foundation stone for various projects was laid during the visit of Naveen Patnaik including Railway over the bridge at Jagannathpur and Ambapua with an estimated cost of Rs 30 and Rs 35 crore respectively and 9 Major Rail project (Rs 113.51 crore).
12. Kartik Sharma won New South Wales men’s Amateur Golf Championship
Kartik Sharma won the New South Wales Men’s Amateur Golf Championship held in Australia by defeating Australia’s Nathan Barberie in the scheduled 36-hole final.
He is playing for India as a part of National Squad since the age of 10.