1. India rains two places in FIFA rankings
The Indian football team slipped two places to 103rd in the latest FIFA rankings.
- India missed two matches and drew one in the Intercontinental Cup earlier this month in Ahmedabad.
- It lost 2-4 to Tajikistan and 2-5 against eventual winners DPR Korea before playing out a 1-1 draw against Syria.
- The Indian team now lies at 18th among Asian countries. Iran (23rd) is at the top among Asian countries, followed by Japan (33), Korea (37), Australia (46) and Qatar (62).
- Overall, Belgium leads the chart, followed by Brazil, France, England, and Uruguay.
2. Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury elected PAC Chairman
Congress party leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury has been elected as the Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
- The post was held by Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge
- He recently concluded elections lost from Gulbarga constituency in Karnataka to BJP’s Umesh Jadhav.
- Chowdhury along with former Union Ministers Satyapal Singh and Jayant Sinha elected as the members of PAC
- The other members elected to the committee from Lok Sabha are TR Baalu (DMK), Subhash Chandra Baheria, Sudheer Gupta, Darshana Vikram Jardosh, Ajay (Teni) Misra, Jagadambika Pal, Vishnu Dayal Ram, Ram Kripal Yadav (all BJP), Bhartruhari Mahtab (BJD), Rahul Ramesh Shewale (Shiv Sena), Rajiv Ranjan Singh (JD-U) and Balashowry Vallabbhaneni (YSRC Party).
3. Home Minister Amit Shah joined the main panel of sexual harassment at the workplace
Home Minister Amit Shah has chaired a panel of four cabinet ministers and he examined the ways to prevent workplace sexual harassment. The activists criticized the official response to the #MeToo movement.
The movement carried out with former junior Foreign Minister M J Akbar and Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi among dozens of high-profile men accused of sexual misconduct. The new panel includes Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani and Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
The group of ministers was set up on July 18. The previous panel lapsed ahead of the formation of the new government. The public recommendations set up after the #MeToo online campaign to out alleged sexual harassers. They began in the US entertainment industry it took off in India in late 2018.
The movement went quiet in India after some of the accused fought back with defamation suits. There has been negative publicity, hardly any cases have been filed, Congress lawmaker Sushmita Dev called the government’s decision a knee-jerk reaction to criticism of its failure to make public the findings of the earlier panel.
4. Boxing Legend Manny Pacquiao got WBA Super Welterweight title 2019
Manny Pacquiao(40) has won the WBA (World Boxing Association) welterweight championship 2019. He beat Keith Thurman of US at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, United States. Two judges scored it 115-112 in favor of Pacquiao. The one judge scored it 114-113 to Thurman. The eight-division world champion Pacquiao improved to 62-7-2 score with 39 knockouts. He is currently serving as a senator of the Philippines won 12 major world titles as well as being the first boxer to win the lineal championship in five different weight classes. He has won the “Best Fighter ESPY Award”. He currently ranks No. 4 in Boxer’s ranking of the greatest pound for pound boxers of all time.
5. Lok Sabha passed the Unlawful Activities Prevention (Amendment) Bill, 2019
Lok Sabha released the Unlawful Activities Prevention (Amendment) Bill, 2019. The Bill aims to end terrorism.
Provisions of the Bill:
The Bill will now empower the government to designate individuals as terrorists. If any person commits or participates in acts of terrorism or involved in terrorism, he/she can be designated as terrorist.
The Director-General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) can now grant approval of seizure or attachment of property when the case is investigated by the agency.
Bill was opposed:
The amendments to the Bill was opposed saying that the legislation violates Article 21 and also lacks judicial review. Also, the opposition said that the intent of the Bill will be used to just detain people in jail and deny them a trial. The Bill was also termed as anti-federalism and anti-people.
6. PM Narendra Modi published the book on Former PM Chandra Shekhar
PM Narendra Modi released the book “Chandra Shekhar – The Last Icon of Ideological Politics”;
- The book was written by Shri Harivansh, Deputy Chairman, Rajya Sabha, and Shri Ravi Dutt Bajpai.
- The book release eats the Balayogi Auditorium, Parliament Library Building.
- The Prime Minister presented the first copy of the book to the Vice President of India, Shri Venkaiah Naidu.
About Shri Chandra Shekhar Ji
Prime Minister also recalled that Shri Chandra Shekhar Ji addressed Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ji as “Guruji.”
- Prime Minister praised his clarity of thought, commitment to the people, and dedication to democratic principles.
- Chandra Shekhar Ji as a man of remarkable culture and principles to oppose the dominant political party of his time, because he disagreed with certain aspects of it.
- He asserted that a museum for all former Prime Ministers will be established in Delhi. Former Prime Ministers to share aspects of the life and work of these Prime Ministers.
7. The Companies Amendment Bill, 2019 presented in Lok Sabha on 25 July
The Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was presented in Lok Sabha on 25 July. The Bill was introduced by the Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
Provision of the Ordinance:
16 of the offenses that are punishable with fine or imprisonment or both were recategorized as it empowers the adjudicating officers, who are appointed by the central government, may now levy penalties instead.
- The ordinance prohibits a company from issuing shares at a discount, except in certain cases.
- It also says that a company can not commence business unless it files a declaration within 180 days of incorporation or files a verification of its registered office within 30 days of incorporation.
- The companies must register charges such as mortgages on its property within 30 days of the creation of charge.
8. Lok Sabha cleared the 2019 Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill
Lok Sabha cleared the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019 on 25 July. The Bill was presented by the Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. The bill is for the justice, respect, and dignity of women.
Provisions of the Bill:
The Bill criminalizes instant triple talaq among Muslims. It also approves a jail term of three years for the husband.
- The bill will replace the ordinance passed by the previous government in February.
- It should be noted that around 20 Muslim countries in the world, including Pakistan and Malaysia, have banned the triple talaq.
The Bill was opposed by BJP ally Janata Dal (United). The party said that it will create distrust among a particular community.
9. Sunil Kumar has given additional charge as MTNL chairman
State-owned MTNL’s director Sunil Kumar has been appointed as chairman and managing director of the company.
- Kumar is currently Director (Human Resources and Enterprise Business) at MTNL and takes over from PK Purwar.
- Purwar was recently elected the chairman and managing Director of BSNL.
10. UP became No. 1 in implementation of Pradhanamntri Suraksha Beema Yojna
Uttar Pradesh has become number one in implementation of Pradhanamntri Suraksha Beema Yojna in the country.
- 1.95 crores people were provided insurance cover under the scheme till 31 march 2019.
- The implementation of this ambitious central government scheme has started in the state from January 2018 under which people between the age group of 18 to 70 get an accidental insurance cover of rupees 2 lakh by paying a nominal premium of 12 rupees annually.