1. Sindhu Festivals being observed in Leh
In the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, the Indus Festival is being celebrated on the banks of the Sindhu river in Leh.
- Satyapal Malik, Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, inaugurated the festival.
- This festival is celebrated every year to attract tourists to Ladakh by presenting the Sindhu river as a symbol of India’s multi-faceted cultural identity.
- The main attractions of the festival are local folk songs and dance, the exhibition of handicrafts and ethnic food items.
2. Prasanta Kumar Saikia sworn in as Chairperson of Lokayukta in Arunachal Pradesh
In Arunachal Pradesh, Justice Prashant Kumar Saikia (retired) has been sworn in as the Chairperson of the Lokayukta in the state.
- The oath was offered by Governor Dr. B D Mishra at Raj Bhawan in Itanagar.
- Mr. Yeshi Tsering was also oathed in as Member of the Lokayukta.
3. Govt sets up a working group to revise the current series of WPI
The Government has framed a Working Group to amend the current series of the wholesale price index.
- Prof. Ramesh Chand, Member, NITI Aayog will be the Chairman of the 18-member committee.
- To promote industry and internal trade, the Office of the Economic Advisory will be the nodal office for the working group.
- The current series of wholesale price index with the 2011-12 as the base year was introduced in May 2017.
- Since 2011-12, there have been significant structural changes in the economy. Therefore, it is necessary to check the index number of the wholesale price index.
4. Arvind Kumar selected as Director of Intelligence Bureau
Arvind Kumar, Senior IPS officers, is elected the new Chief of Intelligence Bureau (IB). He is the IPS officer of 1984 batch. His appointment is confirmed by the Home Ministry. Arvind Kumar will replace Rajiv Jain as IB Chief and will affect his charge on 30th June 2019.
- Previously Arvind Kumar was involved in tackling the Left Wing Extremism at IB.
- He is acknowledged to be an expert on Kashmir issues. The Director of the Intelligence Bureau or the IB Chief is the senior most ranked IPS officer in the IB and the senior most IPS officer in the country also.
5. Haryana government declared an annual of Rs.5 lakh to Loktantra senanis
The Haryana State government has stated annual financial assistance of Rs.5 lakh to loktantra senanis or their spouse for treatment at private or government hospitals. The term “emergency victim” on their identity cards would be replaced with “loktantra senani”.
This announcement was presented by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar while addressing the democratic fighters (Loktantra Senanis) across the state in the state level Loktantra Senani Samman Samaroh organized at Tagore Theater in Chandigarh.
Who is a Loktantra Senani?
Loktantra senanis are those people who were jailed during the 1975-77 (Satyagraha Movement) Emergency under preventive detention laws.
The Haryana State government was already affording a monthly pension of Rs.10,000 to the loktantra senani. Haryana Roadways buses are also being provided free travel facility in the buses.
History about Emergency:
In 1975, India saw its wickedest phase when then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi called for an emergency to be reported across the country. It was the most unfortunate time for the citizens of the country. The emergency was issued by President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed. They termed it as “internal disturbance” that lasted 21 long months beginning 25th June 1975 and going on until 21st March 1977.
6. Author Amish Tripathi elected as the Director of Nehru Centre in London
Author Amish Tripathi identified as the director of London’s Nehru Centre. He is the author of best-selling books like the Secret of the Nagas and Sita – Warrior of Mithila, Tripathi take over from diplomat Srinivas Gotru.
- Gotra’s four-year tenure ended this year.
- Tripathi elected for the post followed by an interview with a selection panel, ICCR president Vinay Sahasrabudhe.
- The Nehru Centre established in 1992
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi as its founder director.
About Amish Tripathi
- He is an Indian author
- His popular activities are The Immortals of Meluha, The Secret of the Nagas, The Oath of the Vayuputras, Scion of Ikshvaku and Sita: Warrior of Mithila.
7. BJP MP Meenakshi Lekhi on her first novel ‘New Delhi Conspiracy
BJP MP Meenakshi Lekhi wrote his first novel “New Delhi Conspiracy”, co-authored with Krishna Kumar under the political scenario of Delhi and decided to have a bare impact on the country’s political trajectory.
- It was published by HarperCollins India
- It is yet to be released on July 8, 2019
- As an unusual storyline, the current socio-political context is full of intrigue and adventure, which transports from Hong Kong to Delhi.
- Fiction is a format in which there is a comprehensive reader with support for the book.
- The New Delhi Conspiracy’s biggest feature is its magnificent story, which, as being entertaining, is also enlightening.
- The book talks of a malicious man with a dangerous agenda.
8. Sameer Gulati won Rs. 3 lakhs for ‘world’s best coder’ at TechGig Code Gladiators 2019
6th Edition of TechGig Code Gladiators 2019 Ex-champion, Sameer Gulati won the title as ‘world’s best coder’.
- He begs prize money of Rs 3 lakhs a trophy and a certificate
- The event was held at Reliance Corporate Park, Navi Mumbai.
- The event featured 10 hackathon theme rounds on technologies which includes Chatbots, Robotic Process Automation, Fintech, Software Testing, and New Commerce.
- Around 2.6 lakh coders fought for 87 days to claim the title this year.
- Around 21 per cent (55,633 out of 2,62,906) were female coders.
TechGig Code Gladiators 2019
- Industry: Competitive programming
- Headquarters: Gurgaon, India
9. Oracle originates Crime Mitigation solution for smaller banks
The Oracle Financial Services “Anti Money Laundering Express Edition(AMLXE)” designed to detect, investigate, and report suspected money laundering and terrorist financing activity.
A multinational software firm from the United States Oracle introduced a new tool that helps small and medium-sized banks deal with fraud.
- It uses new architecture principles to offer quick deployment on premise or on cloud infrastructures allowing firms to transition at reduced implementation costs.
- The solution comprises an in-built library with scenarios have the ability to detect money laundering behaviors.
- The solution designed to allow visual scenario configuration, reducing coding overheads, and enabling easy adaption to ever-changing compliance demands.
- They targeted at smaller banks to comply with regulatory norms with a limited budget.
- Founded: 16 June 1977
- Founders: Larry Ellison, Bob Miner, and Ed Oates
- Headquarters: Redwood City, California, U.S
10. G-20 summit is going on in Osaka
The G20 summit began in Osaka, Japan.
- The subject of the summit is ‘Human-centred future society’.
- Several state chiefs including Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the two-day summit.
- 19 countries, the European Union and many special invitees are attending the Osaka Summit.