1. 01 February as Indian Coast Guard Day
Indian Coast Guard (ICG) celebrates its raising day on February 1.
- ICG protects India’s maritime interests and enforces maritime law, with jurisdiction over the territorial waters of India, including its contiguous zone and exclusive economic zone.
- It functions under the Ministry of Defence.
- Director-General of ICG: Krishnaswamy Natrajan
2. TomTomReport: Bengaluru has the worst traffic in the world
The Netherlands-based global provider of navigation, traffic and map products, Bengaluru is the world’s most traffic-congested city according to a report by TomTom.
- It defeated 415 other cities across 57 countries to earn the title in 2019.
- Drivers in this city are expected to spend an average of 71% extra travel time stuck in traffic.
- In 2019, a commuter spent an additional 243 hours in traffic while driving during peak hours.
- Manila in the Philippines came a close second, with a similar average time spent by commuters in traffic.
- Mumbai, Pune and New Delhi were the other Indian cities that also featured in the top 10, taking fourth, fifth and eighth places respectively.
3. Uttar Pradesh”s Chandauli district protects NITI’s ranking in December
Chandauli district in Uttar Pradesh has topped the list of aspirational districts ranked by the government think tank NITI Aayog in December.
- Belangir (Odisha) and YSR (Andhra Pradesh) have been placed in the second and third positions.
- The delta rankings took into account incremental progress made by over 112 aspirational districts across six developmental areas in December 2019.
- Health and nutrition, education, agriculture, and water resources, financial inclusion, skill development, and basic infrastructure were the development areas that were taken into consideration for the ranking.
- The ranking of aspirational districts is done every month.
4. RBI appointed ED Janak Raj as member of Monetary Policy Committee
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has elected its Executive Director Janak Raj as a member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), the highest interest rate-setting body.
- Raj succeeds M D Patra, who was recently elevated as Deputy Governor of the RBI.
- The government had in 2016 established MPC to set the benchmark interest rate.
- The MPC is managed by the RBI Governor.
The USA has declared a public health emergency over the spread of the coronavirus. Foreign nationals who have visited China in the past two weeks. US citizens returning from Hubei province, where the outbreak started, will be quarantined for 14 days. World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global health emergency over the new virus.
The novel coronavirus is known as the Wuhan coronavirus, It is a contagious virus that causes respiratory infection recognized as the cause of the ongoing 2019–20 Wuhan coronavirus outbreak.
Genomic sequencing has shown that the coronavirus is a positive-sense, single-stranded RNA coronavirus
6. Central Government Proposed Single Exam For All Government Jobs
The union government proposes a single exam for all government jobs. In the Budget 2020 presented by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, the Central Government intends to bring major reforms in the recruitment of non-gazetted posts in governments and public sector banks.
- Currently, candidates appear for various examinations conducted under the discretion of recruitment organizations or examination agencies like UPSC and SSC. The government proposes to create a national recruitment agency, also known as the NRA.
- The NRA will be an independent, professional, specialist organization and will conduct an examination, known as the Common Eligibility Test, for selection in government jobs. Another major reform proposed by the government is to implement a computer-based examination for selection in government jobs. Until now, most government recruitment exams are conducted in computer-based mode, though not all.
- The old pattern of examination where candidates mark their responses in the OMR sheet will be withheld. In order to familiarize the candidates and the examination pattern, the government proposes to set up a testing center in every district, especially in the aspirational districts.
7. Ayonika Paul got the women’s 10m Air Rifle T1 event
Olympian Ayonika Paul has won the women’s 10m Air Rifle T1 event Vijayveer Sidhu won the men’s 25m Pistol T2 event in the National Shooting trials at Thiruvananthapuram.
- She came to a quality eight-woman field, which had the likes of Tokyo 2020 quota holders Apurvi Chandela and Anjum Moudgil among competitors.
- Registered a score of 252.0.Her effort just 0.9 behind Apurvi’s world record of 252.9. Apurvi came third with a rating of 229.8 Zeena won the junior women’s trials in the same event had the best qualifying score on the day with a 630.0 to show after 60 shots.
- Chandigarh’s Vijayveer won the junior men’s 25m Pistol with an aggregate score of 585. The three inner 10s, more than second-placed Rajkanwar Singh Sandhu of Punjab.
8. Lt Gen YK Joshi to assume command as new Northern Command chief
Lieutenant General Yogesh Kumar Joshi assumes charge of GOC-in-C, Northern Command in Jammu and Kashmir’s Udhampur.K Joshi was commissioned into 13 JAK RIF on 12 June 1982 and later commanded the same unit. The general officer is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla, and a postgraduate from the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington. He commanded 13 JAK RIF in Operation Vijay and Parakram.
Operation Vijay under his command, the unit awarded a total of 37 gallantry awards, including two Param Vir Chakras, eight Vir Chakras, and fourteen Sena Medals. The group was assigned the Chief of Army Staff unit citation and the ‘Bravest of the Brave’ award.
The general officer himself was awarded the Vir Chakra during his command of 13 JAK RIF in the operations. The Lt Gen has commanded an Infantry Brigade in Tangtse, Infantry Division in Karu, and Corps in Leh.
9. Union Government appointed M Ajit Kumar as chairman of CBIC ahead of Budget
Central Government appoints M Ajit Kumar as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs. The appointment comes just two days before the Union Budget presentation.
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs is the national nodal agency responsible for administering Customs, GST, Central Excise, Service Tax and Narcotics in India.
Founded: 1 January 1964
10. ECI selected Shri B Murali Kumar as Special Expenditure Observer
Election Commission of India has appointed Sh B Murli Kumar (ex IRS-1983) as Special Expenditure Observer as also appointed Sh Mrinal Kanti Das (IPS 1977 Retd) as Special Police Observer for General Election to the Legislative Assembly of NCT of Delhi, 2020. Sh Murali, in consultation with the Chief Electoral Officer, Delhi, will be supervising and monitoring the work done by the electoral machinery.
- Similarly, Sh. Das, as the Special Police Observer, is appointed to oversee the deployment and other security-related issues.
- Sh M K Das retired as Director-General of Manipur Police, was also deputed earlier as Special Police Observer for Tripura and Mizoram during the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections and even the recently held Jharkhand Assembly elections.
Election Commission of India
Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering election processes in India.
Formed: 25 January 1950