1. CVC commemorated vigilance awareness week from Oct 28 to Nov 2
To promote probity in public life through citizen participation, the Central Vigilance Commission, CVC is observing vigilance awareness week starting from Oct 28 till 2nd November.
- The theme for the vigilance awareness week is ‘Integrity – A way of life’.
- This theme would help to draw the attention of all sections of society especially the youth to the significance of ethical conduct in the building of honest, non-discriminatory and corruption-free society.
- The CVC has requested all the central government Ministries and organizations to conduct activities relevant to the theme both within their organization and as outreach activities for citizens.
2. Exercise Shakti to be operated from 31 October to 13 November
Exercise Shakti-2019, a bilateral exercise between the Indian Army and French Army, is to be held at the Foreign Training Node at Mahajan Field Firing Ranges in Rajasthan from 31 October to 13 November.
The Exercise Shakti aimed at counter-terrorism operations in the backdrop of semi-desert terrain under the United Nations mandate.
The exercise focuses on a high degree of physical fitness, sharing of the drill at the tactical level and learning of best practices from each other
The exercise also involves the neutralization of terrorists in a village hideout.
3. Manohar Lal Khattar elected as the CM of Haryana
Manohar Lal Khattar was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Haryana for a second term on 27 October. He will lead the BJP-JJP (Jannayak Janata Party) coalition government in the state.
- Also, JJP leader Dushyant Chautala took oath as the Deputy Chief Minister of Haryana. The oath office was administered by Haryana Governor Satyadeo Narain Arya at the Raj Bhawan.
- A total of 57 MLAs joined together to form the government. Of the 57 MLAs, 40 of them are from BJP, 10 of them are from JJP and seven are Independents. The Cabinet members are yet to swear in as Minister of the Haryana Legislative Assembly.
4. Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Chirag Shetty get silver in the doubles event at French Open
In Badminton, India’s top men’s doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty lost to world No.1 pair of Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo in the finals of the French Open in Paris.
- The Indian duo settled for silver after losing the final 18-21, 16-21.
Satwik and Chirag had won their maiden Super 500 title at the Thailand Open earlier in August this year.
- It was the first time that an Indian men’s doubles pair reached a World Tour 750 final.
5. Gujarati community beyond the globe commemorates the new year- Bestu Varas
Gujarati community across the globe is celebrating New year Bestu Varas.
- As per Gujarati calendar Vikram Samvat, the New year is celebrated on the first day of Kartik month.
- Bestu Varas also marks the day to forgive others and forget bad memories and start with new enthusiasm.
6. PM Modi embarks on 2-day visit to Saudi Arabia
Prime Minister Narendra Modi left on a two-day visit to Saudi Arabia.
He looks forward to his participation in the Future Investment Initiative (FII) Forum where he would be speaking about the growing trade and investment opportunities for the global investors in India as the country marches forward to a USD 5 trillion economy by 2024.
- The FII Forum is also known as the ‘Davos in the Desert’ which has been hosted by Riyadh since 2017 to project the Kingdom as a potential investment hub in the region.
- Modi is paying a visit to the Kingdom at the invitation of Saudi King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
- The visit would witness the Prime Minister holding talks with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman and launching the RuPay card in the country.
7. BJP won Maharashtra with Shiv Sena, emerges single-largest party in Haryana
The results for 286 Assembly constituencies of Maharashtra were declared with the BJP securing a total of 105 seats and its alliance partner Shiv Sena, 56 seats.
- As per the Election Commission, BJP secured 105 seats, Shiv Sena (56), Congress (44) and the Nationalist Congress Party (54).
- The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won 40 seats in the Haryana Assembly election, Congress 31 and Dushyant Chautala-led Jannayak Janata Party (JJP) bagged 10 out of total 90 seats.
8. Govt Reconciliations ‘Maharatna’ Status to Hindustan Petroleum, Power Grid Corp
The government accorded ‘Maharatna’ status to state-owned Hindustan Petroleum and Power Grid Corporation.
- Two separate orders to this effect were issued by the Department of Public Enterprises, under the Ministry of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises.
- The grant of Maharatna status to the PSUs will impart enhanced powers to their Boards to take financial decisions.
9. Yogi Adityanath launched Kanya Sumangala Yojana
Uttar Pradesh’s government launched its flagship scheme Kanya Sumangla Yojna.
- The scheme will provide an amount of 15 thousand rupees in a phased manner to every family in which a girl child takes birth.
- The scheme has been designed in a way that parents have to take care of the girl child’s health and education to get the benefit.
- Funds will be released in installments when a girl child completes various achievements, like vaccination, admission in class 1, 5 and 9, graduation.
- At birth Rs. 2000 will be transferred into account and if a girl has completed all her first-year vaccinations on April 1, 2019, she will be entitled to 1 thousand rupees.
10. Chenani Nashari Tunnel has renamed after Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee
Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari and Shri Jitendra Singh announced the renaming of Chenani Nashri Tunnel on NH 44 in Jammu & Kashmir as Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Tunnel.
- This 9 km tunnel is the longest such state of art tunnel in the country, connecting Udhampur to Ramban in Jammu.
- Constructed at a cost of Rs 2500 crore, it cuts down 31 km of travel distance and reduces the travel time between the two points by about two hours, in addition to substantial savings in fuel cost.