The Armed Forces Tribunal made Vice Admiral Karambir Singh to become the next Navy Chief while it deferred for four weeks the matter of Vice Admiral Bimal Verma which seeks to quash Singh’s appointment.
- Karambir Singh, who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command, took over as the Navy Chief on 31st May 2019.
- He was commissioned into the Indian Navy in July 1980 and earned his wings as a helicopter pilot in 1982.
- He has extensive experience with the HAL Chetak, Kamov Ka-25, and Kamov Ka-28 helicopters
About Karambir Singh
Born: 3 November 1959
Commands held: Chief of Naval Staff Eastern Naval Command
- INS Delhi
- INS Rana
- INS Vijaydurg
- ICGS Chand Bibi
- Param Vishisht Seva Medal
- Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
2. World No-Tobacco Day: 31st May
Every year, on 31 May, the World Health Organization (WHO) and global partners celebrate World No Tobacco Day (WNTD).
- The annual campaign is an opportunity to raise awareness on the harmful and deadly effects of tobacco use and second-hand smoke exposure, and to discourage the use of tobacco in any form.
- The focus of World No Tobacco Day 2019 is on “tobacco and lung health”.
3. James Marape appointed as the Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea
Lawmakers of Papua New Guinea elected James Marape as its 8th prime minister.
He belongs to Pangu Party.
- He succeeded Peter O Neill of People’s National Congress party, who was pressured to resign by a series of political defections in recent days, and tensions over a multi-billion-dollar gas project signed this year with French company Total and the US firm ExxonMobil.
- Marape earlier served as the finance minister of Papua New Guinea while he was a member of the People’s National Congress party and he resigned on April 2019.
About Papua New Guinea
- Capital: Port Moresby
- Currency: Papua New Guinean Kina
4. Nigeria’s Muhammadu Buhari sworn in for the second term as president
Muhammadu Buhari has been sworn in for a second term as Nigeria’s president.
- The 76-year-old leader was sworn in amid tight security in the Nigerian capital Abuja.
- He did not make a speech during the low-profile event attended by members of the diplomatic community.
- Buhari, a former military ruler, won 56 percent of the votes to defeat his main challenger, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP).
5. Former basketball player, Lamar Odom launched a new book ‘Darkness to light’
Former American professional basketball player, Lamar Odom, aged 39, launched a new book titled ‘Darkness to light’.
- The book reveals the dark secrets of his life.
- He is the ex-husband of Khloe Kardashian, an American media personality, socialite, model, businesswoman, and entrepreneur.
- In his book, he has opened up about his relationship with ex-wife Khloe Kardashian, his difficult childhood, past overdoses and addictions to drugs, alcohol, and sex.
- As a member of the Los Angeles Lakers in the National Basketball Association (NBA), he won NBA championships in 2009 and 2010 and was named the NBA Sixth Man of the Year in 2011.
Odom played on the United States national team, winning a bronze medal in the Olympics in 2004 and a gold medal in the FIBA World Championship.
- Odom fell into a coma and was hospitalized with life-threatening medical problems.
- Odom has since recovered from his health scare and obtained drug treatment.
About Lamar Odom
- Born: November 6, 1979
- Nationality: American
6. Y S Jaganmohan Reddy was sworn in as second Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, who got a massive mandate for his party YSRCP in the Assembly elections, was sworn in as second Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh after bifurcation on 30 May. Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan administered the oath to Mr. Jagan at the Indira Gandhi Municipal Stadium, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.
His immediate announcements
- In his first major announcement after taking the oath, Reddy immediately announced Rs.3,000 as pension per month for senior citizens in the state.
- The scheme would begin with Rs 2,250 and it will be increased up to Rs 3,000 within three years.
- He asserted there would be corruption-free governance in the state. A call center would be set up at the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO) to address the corruption charges. Everyone will have access to the CMO.
- He said over one lakh jobs will be created by October 2.
- The Chief Minister also said that he will request the Andhra Pradesh High Court to constitute a judicial commission with the sitting judge to monitor and execute tenders and contracts.
2019 LS election
The YSRCP got an absolute majority in the 175-member Assembly, ousting N Chandrababu Naidu-led Telugu Desam Party (TDP) from power in the state. The party won 151 seats, whereas TDP’s strength was drastically reduced from 102 in the 2014 Assembly elections to a mere 23. In the Lok Sabha, YSRCP bagged 22 seats out of the state’s 25 with rest three going to the TDP.
7. RBI sets up a task force on secondary market development in corporate loans
The RBI has constituted a task force to suggest policy and regulatory interventions required for the development of the secondary market in corporate loans.
- The six-member body will be headed by Canara Bank Chairman T N Manoharan.
- It has been set up to review the existing state of the market for loan sale/transfer in India as well as the international experience in loan trading.
8. Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa received the baton of Chairman COSC
Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa received the baton of Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee from outgoing Chairman COSC and Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba, Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa will be the Chairman COSC with effect from May 31, 2019, consequent to the relinquishment of charge by Admiral Sunil Lanba upon superannuation.
- Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa, an alumnus of Rashtriya Indian Military College and the National Defence Academy, was commissioned in the Flying Branch of Indian Air Force in June 1978.
- He is an experienced fighter pilot and a qualified CAT ‘A’ Flying Instructor with over 3000 hours of flying experience to his credit.
- The Air Chief Marshal has mainly flown the MiG-21 aircraft with flying experience across the entire spectrum of fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force.
- Admiral Sunil Lanba is proceeding on retirement on May 31, 2019, after a distinguished career spanning over four decades.
9. Former Flipkart Executive Sandeep Patil appointed as India Managing Director of Truecaller
Former Flipkart Executive Sandeep Patil appointed as India Managing Director of Truecaller.
- He served as the head of consumer and commercial lending vertical at Flipkart until his new appointment with Truecaller.
- Sandeep Patil will be leading business strategies to expand the company and increase its revenue.
- He will be supervising the teams based in Delhi, Mumbai, and Bengaluru.
- India is the largest market for Truecaller with 60-70% of global revenue and user base.
- It has 100 million daily active users in the country.
- Headquarters: Stockholm
- Founded: 2009
- Founders: Nami Zarringhalam and Alan Mamedi