1. IIT Professor awarded with the National Geospatial Award for Excellence
Jayanta Kumar Ghosh, a professor at the civil engineering department of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Roorkee, was conferred the National Geospatial Award for Excellence-2017 (Lifetime Achievement Award) at the Space Application Centre in Ahmedabad.
The Indian Society for Remote Sensing is an organization known in the area of space science, remote sensing and geospatial technology.
2. Bill on Arunachal’s ST list approved by Union cabinet
The Union Cabinet approved the introduction of a Bill to modify the list of Scheduled Tribes (ST) of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The bill proposes the deletion of the Abor tribe from the state’s ST list ‘as it is the same as Adi’ tribe.
- As there is no tribe called ‘Khampti’, the bill replaces it with ‘Tai Khamti’ on the list.
- The bill seeks to include the Mishmi-Kaman (Miju Mishmi), Idu (Mishmi) and Taraon (Digaru Mishmi) tribes in the list.
- It also proposes the inclusion of ‘Monpa, Memba, Sartang, Sajolong in lieu of the Momba’ tribe.
3. Haryana government approved 11 projects to resurrect Saraswati river
Haryana Saraswati Heritage Development Board (HSHDB) met under the chairmanship of chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar and approved 11 major projects, including the restoration of heritage sites, along with the course of the river.
These include the construction of Somb Saraswati barrage, Saraswati reservoir and Adi Badri dam on Somb river, a tributary of the Yamuna that originates in the Shivalik Hills.
4. CM N.Chandrababu Naidu launched Prana Raksha app of police
Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu launched the Prana Raksha web application developed by the Chittoor police at Kuppam, Andhra Pradesh. The app has been designed to save the lives of road accident victims and reach out to women in distress.
- The Prana Raksha app, which works on the SoS and panic button features, would enable users to immediately contact the police.
- Keeping in mind the 8 national highways and 26 State highways connected to the neighboring Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, while thousands of inter-State pilgrims reach Tirumala daily, the app has been designed to view the alarming rate of accidents on these roads.
5. Justice Asif Saeed Khosa appointed as the new Chief Justice of Pakistan
Justice Asif Saeed Khosa will take the oath of his office on January 18 a day after incumbent CJP Justice Saqib Nisarretires on January 17.
- Justice Khosa has been a senior Justice of the Supreme Court of Pakistan since 31 December 2016.
- He will remain as the top judge of Pakistan till December 20, 2019.
6. Kerala State Cabinet approved Kerala Pravasi Welfare Act
The Kerala State Cabinet decided to recommend the Governor to promulgate an Ordinance amending the Kerala Pravasi Welfare Act. The Act aims at providing a regular income for Non-Resident Keralites (NoRKs) returning home.
- The amount collected through the scheme will be used to fund development activities taken up by Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB) and other agencies. The Cabinet resolved to enhance the monthly remuneration for special Government pleaders to Rs.1,20,000, senior government pleaders to Rs.1,10,000 and that for government pleaders to Rs.1,00,000.
- The proposed scheme will enable the Kerala Pravasi Welfare Board to receive deposits from non-resident Malayalis and use it, along with a matching share from the government, to provide a monthly dividend for investors.
7. HDFC Mutual Fund became the largest Asset Management Company in India
HDFC Mutual Fund has surpassed ICICI Prudential MF to regain top position after two years as the largest asset management company (AMC).
- While HDFC MF looks after assets worth Rs 3.35 lakh crore, ICICI Prudential MF manages Rs 3.08 lakh crore.
- With AUM of Rs 2.64 lakh crore, SBI MF stands at the third slot.
- Aditya Birla and Reliance MF follow next with Rs 2.42 lakh crore and Rs 2.36 lakh crore, respectively.
8. Mysuru aims for 7-star rating under the Swachh Bharat Mission
The Mysuru City Corporation (MCC) aims for a 7-star under the Swachh Bharat Mission 2019. Under this mission, the garbage-free cities will be awarded star ratings as per the revised protocols of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- The new survey is launched across the country from 4th January 2019. MoHUA has set various parameters such as door-to-door garbage collection, waste disposal, scientific handling of landfills, disposal of construction and demolition debris, and segregation of waste at the source for the rankings.
- As per the vision enunciated under the Swachh Bharat Mission, 100% of waste generated in a city should be scientifically managed, and measures are taken for visible beautification of the city.
9. Saurabh Kumar appointed as Chairman Of Ordnance Factory Board
Saurabh Kumar appointed as the Director General of Ordnance Factories (DGOF) and chairman of the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB). Kumar, a 1982-batch Indian Ordnance Factory Service officer, is an M-Tech in mechanical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur.
10. Virat Kohli fastest to 19000 international runs, breaks Sachin’s record
Indian cricket team captain, Virat Kohli beats Cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar’s to become the fastest batsman to score 19000 international runs on the 1st day of 4th Test Match in Sydney against Australia.
Virat Kohli crossed 19000 runs mark in 399 innings whereas Sachin Tendulkar took 432 innings to score 19000 runs.
11. Bancassurance pact was signed between Syndicate Bank and SBI Life Insurance
Syndicate Bank and SBI Life Insurance signed a bancassurance pact aiming to offer a comprehensive financial planning solution to its customers.
This was signed between Syndicate Bank MD & CEO, Mrutyunjay Mahapatra and MD and CEO of SBI Life, Sanjeev Nautiyal through the pact.