1. President Ram Nath Kovind conferred National Award 2018 to teachers
President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the National Teachers Awards 2018 on the event of Teachers Day 2019 in New Delhi.
- The award acknowledges the unique and special contribution of some of the finest teachers in the country.
- It also honors teachers who not only played an important role in improving the quality of schooling but also enriched the lives of their students.
National Teacher’s Award 2018:
- The year 2018 was the 61st year of the National Teacher Award. The award winners were selected by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
- 46 teachers from across the country were felicitated in the national capital as India prepared to celebrate Teachers’ Day. The National Teacher Award carries a silver medal, certificate and a cash prize of Rs 50,000.
2. French footballer Eric Cantona saluted with UEFA President Award 2019
Manchester United and France legend Eric Cantona conferred with the Union of European Football Association President Award 2019 at the Champions League draw in Monaco.
- He won around 5 English championships with Leeds and Manchester United in the 1990s.
- The previous winners of the award include Johann Cruyff, Alfredo Di Stefano, and Eusebio.
- He is the third Manchester United player to receive the award after Bobby Charlton (2008) and David Beckham (2018)
- He was best known for playing Ken Loach’s quirky 2009 comedy-drama In Eric. He nominated for Palme d’Or.
- He played for France 45 times between 1983 and 1998.
3. Wipro achieve USD 300 million contracts from ICICI Bank
Wipro has won a 7-year contract from ICICI Bank of worth $ 300 million. The project is meant to provide a range of services. The transaction is expected to conclude by 30 September. For this project, Wipro has to hire 3,800 employees of Vara Infotech.
Vara Infotech and ICICI:
Vara Infotech is currently providing these services to ICICI. It provides facilities and assets for Rs.321 crore. In 2018-2019, Vara Infotech’s revenue from these services stood at Rs.221.5 crore.
4. India and Russia aim for USD 30 billion in trade
India and Russia have decided to increase industrial cooperation and create new technologies and investment partnerships, especially in high-tech sectors. The collaboration strives to expand bilateral trade to $30 billion by 2025. The decision was taken during the PM’s 3-day visit to Russia.
Modi visits Russia:
Modi is visiting Russia at the invitation of President Putin. He participated in the 20th India and Russia Annual Summit which was held in Vladivostok. Modi also attended the 5th Eastern Economic Forum as the chief guest. The leaders communicated satisfaction with the steady mutual growth of the trade turnover.
5. September is observed as Poshan Maah across India
India celebrates September month as the Rashtriya Poshan Maah across the country under POSHAN Abhiyaan program.
It aims to address the challenges of malnutrition. On September 4, Potion Maha was launched in states like Assam, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Rajasthan.
Rashtriya Poshan Maah is being celebrated with the aim to create a Jan Andolan to imbibe behavioral changes into the daily lives of the masses, with the slogan Poshan Tyohar Se Vyavahar.
Poshan Maah focuses on five critical components called ‘Paanch Sutras’. The components are:
- Poshtik Aahar, a wholesome meal with diet diversity
- First 1000 days of the Child
- Hand Wash & Sanitation
6. International Day of Charity is celebrated on 5 September
The International Day of Charity is recognized on 5 September across the world.
- The day is kept to commemorate the death anniversary of Mother Teresa.
- The day intends to make people understand the importance of charity.
- The day was created by the Hungarian Civil society initiative in 2011.
- In 2012, the UN General Assembly (UNGA) officially announced 5 September as the International Day of Charity.
7. Delhi listed 118th and Mumbai at 119th spot in EIUs Global Liveability Index 2019
Global Liveability Index arranged by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) listed Delhi in the 118th spot from 6 places from 112th spot.
- It is the biggest decline in Asia. Mumbai fell by two places to rank at 119th spot this year.
- The list was topped by Vienna, It is the second consecutive time whereas Damascus the capital of Syria was ranked last at 140th position.
- Russia’s St. Petersburg topped the list among BRICS nations at 71st spot.
The Ministry of External Affairs has appointed Shri Jaideep Sarkar as the next High Commissioner of India to the Kingdom of Lesotho
- He replaced Ms. Ruchi Ghanashyam.
- He is 1987 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) Officer
- He worked as the High Commissioner of India to the Republic of South Africa.
- He served in Indian Missions in Tokyo, Seoul, and Bangladesh as well.
Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
- Formed: October 9, 1946
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Foreign Secretary: Vijay Keshav Gokhale, IFS
- Cabinet Secretary: Rajiv Gauba, IAS
9. Teachers Day is observed in India on 5 Sept
Teacher’s Day is celebrated in India on 5 September each year.
- The Day memorializes the 131st birth anniversary of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
Teachers’ Day is celebrated to know the contribution of all teachers for their hard work and endless contribution in shaping the academic life of the student. The day is dedicated to all those teachers, gurus and mentors who guide the students to become better human beings.
10. Shri Dharmendra Pradhan congratulates P. V. Sindhu suggests voice to national missions
Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Steel Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and shuttler player Ms. P. V. Sindhu has complimented her for winning gold at BWF World Championship.
- Shri Pradhan granted her and her father a commemorative coin issued by Government of India Mint on the occasion of Nabakalebar festival and a traditional Odia shawl.
- He advised her to raise her voice to national missions and campaigns like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Jal Shakti Abhiyan putting an end to single-use plastic envisioned by Honorable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.